Author Topic: Fact or Crap? 2017 Edition  (Read 21910 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Fact or Crap? 2017 Edition
« on: December 28, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
Many thanks to those who have gone before: UnixTechie and long ago AQB24712.  Now I am to take up the mantle.

I am keeping the same format that UT formalized.  To whit:

Happy New Year!
Yet another year, and a new calendar..

This is a game of wits with the "Calendar Writer Monkey", known as the CWM.  Each weekday throughout the year, a question, statement, or claim will be posed, which is either true or false.  Past experience has shown that the CWM occasionally gets it wrong.  In these cases, if the CWM's answer is demonstrably incorrect, everyone will get credit for a correct answer.  In cases where the answer is murky, or can be interpreted either way, the CWM's answer will prevail for the purposes of this game.

If you wish to complain to the publisher of the calendar about incorrect or stupid answers, I will be happy to provide contact information.  Just PM me, and ask. 

I'm going back to the original scoring scheme this year; a correct answer will be awarded 1 point, and an incorrect answer or no answer will receive no points.  Last year's scoring scheme ended up to be tedious to keep track of.

Let's get started, and have fun!
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: Fact or Crap? 2017 Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 08:44:30 AM »
This game is crap but I'm in.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:08:40 AM »
As one of the newest player here and too lazy to go back and read the older threads. Has any one suggested making the game more interesting and chaotic  ;) by having all guesses and commentary on the Fact or Crap in spoiler tags?

Going first and guessing is a 50/50 decision.
Going last and taking the majority decision is almost always right.

Just tell me to shut up if I'm out of line or making the moderator's job harder.  ;D

Offline starnado

• the once and future king of tl;dr
  • Well Established
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 04:33:37 AM »
In!
'The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities'
Bart Simpson

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »
The start of the game may be delayex by a week due to 3rd party suppliers at amazon being poopy necks.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »
Crap.

Delayex isn't a word, so I'm suspicious.

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 01:15:12 AM »
It is now.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 01:46:28 PM »
Im in.

And  Tassie, yea, people often discuss and rage against the answers in spoiler tags, and provide their own rationale towards why they voted how they did.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 01:59:19 PM »
I'm in.
(click to show/hide)
As a rule, I use spoilers if I think my additional commentary my unduly influence others and don't use spoilers for merely carping about the CWM.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 06:22:17 PM »
Yes I've even used spoiler tags for that myself.

My suggestion was to put everything relating to the Fact/Crap in spoiler tags, even your answer.
This way everyones answer would be purely based on their own knowledge or their own educated guess. No sheeping  ;)

It might lead to a more chaotic and interesting game.

But it was just a suggestion. The old rules are fine.  8)

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »
Okay okay, I'm in.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 02:07:09 AM »
Do we have to "officially" sign up? The last time I played this game, a few years ago, I sort of came and went and eventually lost interest.

Offline unixTechie

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I don't do windoze.
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 07:37:24 AM »
There's never been a "formal sign-up" for the game.  When I ran it, I'd just add any new players to the scoring spreadsheet so their cumulative score is tracked for the rest of the year.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 10:37:44 AM »
I mainly "signed up" so I would be notified of any new posts in the thread.  I need reminders or I'll forget to answer.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 10:39:53 AM »

WEEK ONE,  JANUARY

Sun, Jan 1:  To ensure good luck in the coming year, the people of Spain place 12 river stones in their mouth as the clock strikes 12:00 AM on New Year's Eve.

Mon, Jan 2: Throwing furniture out of the window is a traditional New Year's custom in some parts of South Africa, so avoiding an open window must also be a New Year's tradition.

Tue, Jan 3: "First-Footing" is a Scottish New Year's tradition.  It requires the first person entering a home after midnight of the New Year to bring a gift for good luck.

Wed, Jan 4: Young children in Austria visit every house in their community on the first morning of the New Year, singing New Year's carols.

Thu, Jan 5: Almost 35 percent of all college freshmen worked on a political campaign in the late 1960s.

Fri, Jan 6: Olive oil massaged into the hair and scalp for 30 minutes at least once a week will stimulate hair growth in healthy adults.

WEEK TWO,  JANUARY

Mon, Jan 9: In Indian and Tanzanian folklore, hyenas are the preferred means of transportation for witches.

Tue, Jan 10:Susan Sarandon didn't get the role of Adrian, Rocky Balboa's girlfriend in the movie Rocky, because the director thought she was too tall to co-star with the 5'7" Sylvester Stallone.

Since there is a backlog, you have until Wed AM to answer them all.  Good luck!

Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

personate-rain
personate-rain