Author Topic: Episode #599  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #599
« on: December 31, 2016, 09:33:49 AM »
SGU 2016 Year in Review; Favorite Science News of 2016; Best and Worst of 2016; Skeptical Heroes and Skeptical Jackass of 2016, In Memorium; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline wallet55

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • 3 feet under the Salmon River
Re: Episode #599
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 06:06:37 PM »
Dr. Novella gave one of the best anti-Trump rants I have heard in awhile. Wish i could get it audio framed so I could have it handy at the next family get together. I freaked out when he said Trump got his vote... till I realized it was his vote for asshole of the year (or skeptical equivalent).

Surprised that no one addressed the 2016 as the worst year ever for celebrity death meme. Confirmation bias at its best (probably combined with the Trump win focusing folks depression).

Great episode, and I am glad I have them to listen to next year as the fit hits the shan.

Bob

Humankind cannot stand very much reality.   T. S. Eliot

Offline mddawson

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »
I was under the impression that the Heimlich maneuver was more woo than science: http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/heimlich.html
"I only take scientific comments when they are peer-reviewed rather than being published in a small local newspaper or scratched on a toilet wall somewhere."
Professor Peter Brown (2005).

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »
I was under the impression that the Heimlich maneuver was more woo than science: http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/heimlich.html

That doesn't say anything about abdominal thrusts for choking.  The criticism of Heimlich in that article and the practice discouraged by the AHA is use of abdominal thrusts for near drowning.

I understand that there are, in fact, some questions about the use of abdominal thrusts for choking, at least as the first option.  Because abdominal thrusts can cause internal injuries, it is generally recommended that one start with back blows and proceed to abdominal thrusts if five black blows don't dislodge the object blocking the airwaves.  At least that was the recommendation two years ago when I was recertified in first aid. I've also heard recently that chest thrusts may be as effective as abdominal thrusts with less risk of injury, but I haven't seen data on that.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Crash

• Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 07:53:29 PM »
  Speaking of pronunciations, the word 'data' used t be almost exclusively pronounced with a short 'a' as in cat.  When "Star Trek the Next Generation"  was first televised I thought Data's name was clever because no one said data with a long 'a'.  I had been in the science mainstream past a biology degree when Start Trek tNG came out.  Now it seems that data with a long 'a' is almost the more common pronunciation.  Another word commonly mispronounced is 'fungi'.  I have been a member of the San Francisco  Mycological Society for almost 40 years and no one says fungi with a hard 'g' like fun guy.  It is pronounced with a soft 'g'. as in fung-eye.  The word 'fungus' does have a hard 'g'.  SGU has mispronounced fungi several times before.   Just sayin'. 
   I am also outraged by the basket of deplorables that Trump has chosen for his cabinet.

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 08:30:07 PM »
  Speaking of pronunciations, the word 'data' used t be almost exclusively pronounced with a short 'a' as in cat.  When "Star Trek the Next Generation"  was first televised I thought Data's name was clever because no one said data with a long 'a'.  I had been in the science mainstream past a biology degree when Start Trek tNG came out.  Now it seems that data with a long 'a' is almost the more common pronunciation. 

A couple years before that, a character in The Goonies (1985) was Data with the long A.
Seems like that pronunciation was in the ether
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 08:38:12 PM »

Surprised that no one addressed the 2016 as the worst year ever for celebrity death meme. Confirmation bias at its best.

Bob

These folks crunched the numbers, it's real.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04lpg9f
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 09:04:42 PM »
  Speaking of pronunciations, the word 'data' used t be almost exclusively pronounced with a short 'a' as in cat.  When "Star Trek the Next Generation"  was first televised I thought Data's name was clever because no one said data with a long 'a'.  I had been in the science mainstream past a biology degree when Start Trek tNG came out.  Now it seems that data with a long 'a' is almost the more common pronunciation.  Another word commonly mispronounced is 'fungi'.  I have been a member of the San Francisco  Mycological Society for almost 40 years and no one says fungi with a hard 'g' like fun guy.  It is pronounced with a soft 'g'. as in fung-eye.  The word 'fungus' does have a hard 'g'.  SGU has mispronounced fungi several times before.   Just sayin'. 
   I am also outraged by the basket of deplorables that Trump has chosen for his cabinet.

I have never pronounced fungi either way you mention. For me it is always hard G but 'ee" not 'eye' on the end. So Fun-Gee.

and while we are being "pendantic"  ;D It's "In Memoriam"  8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:13:06 PM by Tassie Dave »

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 10:59:53 PM »
Memory Jam, now with more ginseng.

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
If you get a chance, listen to the facebook feed of this.  The thing is an hour longer than the podcast.

#non-belief denialist

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
It's here beginning at -1:30:42 or around 1:07 into the video:

#non-belief denialist

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 07:20:56 PM »
I was very pleased to hear Steve tear into Trump, at long last.

I thought all the SoF were fiction. But I picked the electric cars because I remember reading a while back that even when the electricity comes from coal, EVs have a smaller carbon footprint than gasoline cars. Of course, I am biased because I've been driving electric cars for ten years, first the under-powered 3-wheel Zap Xebra, and then the overpowered Tesla. Two black holes from one star surprised me. I'm still not sure I believe the nano-bots to assist motility-challenged sperm. ???

Normally the year-end round-up episodes are my second-least favorite (after live shows, which are my least favorite) but Steve finally calling out Trump for the baboon he is saved this episode for me.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 08:19:10 PM »

On the scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 1.5, and quite tardy, at that.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline fuzzyMarmot

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 08:20:55 PM »
Thanks to the SGU for finally addressing Trump! I imagine there will be some very important debates regarding this administration and science policy in 2017.

And thank you Steve, Bob, Evan, Cara, and Jay for another tremendous year of work. You all are skeptical superstars, and I really appreciate everything you do! The SGU is still one of my high points of my week, even after all of these years :)

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 10:12:38 PM »

On the scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 1.5, and quite tardy, at that.

Anything they could say almost 5 weeks out from him being President would only be speculation. Why waste time on stuff that may not happen. Address it as it happens.

Jackass of the Year and commentary on his appointments is about as much as you can really comment on until he does something stupid, as President.
Which could be during his inauguration given his previous form  ;)

personate-rain