Author Topic: Episode #599  (Read 2316 times)

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Re: Episode #599
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2017, 10:43:41 AM »

Thanks!

HIISSSSSSSS

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2017, 11:51:54 AM »
I'm sad that I missed this... But then, I'm not really on facebook very much.
Will the whole video be uploaded to youtube? Facebook video is unbelievably stuttery for me.

A few remarks about the mp3 version:

Conspiracy viability discussion: I actually remember this one as kind of a failure; even though the conclusions may be correct, the study was highly flawed in various ways, and the relatively uncritical discussion kind of felt like skeptics giving in to their confirmation bias.

Trump: Thank you for finally addressing this in detail! Regarding what has changed, I think it's not so much that things have actually changed, but that this year showed us the sheer extent of the gaping chasm that separates the general public from skeptics in terms of how we look at the world. It's like Steve and Cara said; this was the year that people gave up trying to even appear to speak any kind of truth. I can get into the mindset of someone who is mislead by cherry picked graphs showing that temperatures haven't changed in the last 15 years because they appeal to his confirmation bias, but this was the year when people cheered on a guy who just stated outright that the whole thing was invented by the Chinese. I never expected to see so much support for such an obvious, blatant liar and phony. For the first time, I really don't see there being any limit anymore to what untruths someone can get away with, and still become the most powerful person in the world because the people picked him.

The American people did NOT pick him. He won the office due to a quirk in the American electoral system wherein the less-populated states get a few more electors relative to their population, and with only a couple of exceptions, all the electors from any state ALL go to the candidate who gained a plurality of the votes in that state. This has resulted in this kind of outcome (but never a President so completely brutish) several times in the past, but persists because of a lingering view that states have more rights than people, and that giving power to states is more important than the democratic ideal of one-person-one-vote.

True, but I think you're splitting hairs here wrt the point I was making; almost 63 million people voted for him, the electoral college voted him in, and he is now going to be the most powerful guy on earth in a democracy, even though he is probably the least honest, most obviously dishonest, and most scientifically inept person we've ever seen running for office.
Mooohn!

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2017, 04:19:14 PM »
On the uncut video, Evan mentioned the NFL player who doesn't believe in dinosaurs. The player, Will Hayes, is a defensive end for the Rams. The HBO show Hard Knocks documented the Rams training camp last summer, and this was a theme they kept coming back to. His teammates decorated his locker with stuffed dinosaurs, and a woman came to training camp dressed as a mermaid. The team brought him to a museum that featured dinosaurs, but he still didn't buy it.

This guy is way too likable and open to discussion to be considered for jack-ass of the year. I'm much more concerned that its unclear whether the Vice President elect believes in dinosaurs. Hayes at least had 31 tackles and 5 sacks. Pence had none.

Offline thelaker

• Brand New
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2017, 04:49:15 PM »
Did Cara mean to imply that everyone should go to college?  I can't imagine that attending college would be the right decision for everybody.

Every now and then, Cara says something that sounds a little bit crazy that no one else seems to comment on.  The other recent example I have from a few episodes ago is when she declared that everyone loves condoms. 

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »
True, but I think you're splitting hairs here wrt the point I was making; almost 63 million people voted for him, the electoral college voted him in, and he is now going to be the most powerful guy on earth in a democracy, even though he is probably the least honest, most obviously dishonest, and most scientifically inept person we've ever seen running for office.

Minor point: America is referred to as a democracy, but it isn't. Not really.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »

Minor point: America is referred to as a democracy, but it isn't. Not really.

Again, technically true, but splitting hairs wrt the point I was making.
Mooohn!

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »
Did Cara mean to imply that everyone should go to college?  I can't imagine that attending college would be the right decision for everybody.

Robots will not fix the plumbing.  They make a lot more money than high school teachers here.

"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2017, 07:13:45 PM »

Robots will not fix the plumbing.  They make a lot more money than high school teachers here.
Here, if you want to be a plumber or HVAC tech or similar tradesman you go to a community college or technical college, the military, or have family connections. Places with strong unions have good union apprenticeship programs, but that was not the case when I was in Florida, HVAC capital of the US.
HIISSSSSSSS

personate-rain
personate-rain