Author Topic: Weekly Meal Prep  (Read 656 times)

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Keeps Priorities Straight
Weekly Meal Prep
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
Does anyone do weekly meal prep? I'm looking for tasty recipes.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
Re: Weekly Meal Prep
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »
This is a slow-cooker seafood gumbo recipe that we will make and live on for three or four meals. I used to make this elegantly, with more ingredients, and then I just started throwing stuff into the slow cooker, and can't tell the difference via my unrefined palate.

Ingredients
1 small can of tomato paste
Chopped onion
Shrimp (or other favorite seafood) - raw or cooked, cut into pieces
Fish - best a meaty fish or shark to hold up to the slow cooker
Sausage cut into pieces (andouille is best)
Sliced okra (1 box of frozen is easiest, thaw it if you have time)
Roux (1 cup of flour, 1 cup oil, mixed and browned)
Red pepper flakes to desired level of fire
Garlic or dried garlic to taste

1. Make the roux, which is the most tedious part. Slowly brown the flour in oil until dark brown.

2. Throw everything but the fish and shrimp into the slow cooker and fill with water, leaving room for the seafood later. Pick the slowest temperature level for which you have time (mine has 4, 6 and 8 hour settings).

3. A couple of hours before eating, throw in the shrimp and other seafood. The okra will soften and create the body of the gumbo.

Serves with or without rice depending on your preferences. This keeps well for several days in the refrigerator, and heats up nicely.

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »
I do.
Im shit for recipes though...I just do two portions of bolognase, two of turkey korma and a big tupperware thing of mash. Then I just reheat and add the rice/pasta/lamb chops and veg.
Its made my week so much easier though because I just have 4 hobs running and so my weeks cooking takes only slightly longer than one standard meal.
Or sub standard, depending on your tastes.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »
I do.
Im shit for recipes though...I just do two portions of bolognase, two of turkey korma and a big tupperware thing of mash. Then I just reheat and add the rice/pasta/lamb chops and veg.
Its made my week so much easier though because I just have 4 hobs running and so my weeks cooking takes only slightly longer than one standard meal.

WELL YOU ARE OF NO USE TO ME THEN.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
I do.

Top tip: put a dash of pepper in it.
Doesnt matter what "it" is.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 09:11:49 PM »
Not weekly but a lamb roast goes three days, beef, four, and chicken two, plus and overnight in the slow cooker with vegetables makes three (or goes in the freezer.  There are lots of soups or nearly soups in ice cream and yoghurt containers in there ready for winter.)

A big crustless quiche does two or three rounds of tea (er, dinner) and a pork belly does us for two.  I do enough spuds for a few days, they reheat well.

This time of year, we are overwhelmed with garden vegies so we do an everynight with them.  And time is counting down for a couple of lucky lambs and steers in the paddock so we are a bit meat heavy for both our meals at the moment.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:39:28 PM »
I do.

Top tip: put a dash of pepper in it.
Doesnt matter what "it" is.

you are literally the worst.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
I'll share the one that I made this week that was pretty good! I don't use the beachbody workout programs or anything like that, but this was(I tweaked them slightly) kind of awesome because it gives the whole shopping list and an efficient prep order which took out all the thinking. I swapped out the shakeology shake with my own protein shake or a protein bar. I'm paranoid about the chicken and shrimp spoiling in the fridge so I kept the veggies in the fridge and put those in the freezer.

https://www.beachbody.com/beachbodyblog/nutrition/22-minute-hard-corps-meal-plan

Offline sowellfan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 01:29:56 PM »
I've been doing a not very well organized meal prep for a few months now. But instead of making the really simple/quick recipes that I tend to see online, I make regular recipes, but in large-ish quantities. Lately I've been on an indian food kick, so I've been making various reasonably simple indian chicken recipes, and pairing them with rice. Stuff like and - only problem beyond that is adding in a veggie source, but you could do pretty much anything for that.