Author Topic: All Deepfake research must be terminated. Society is not ready.  (Read 3025 times)

Offline stochastibot

• Triskaidekaphilic
Re: All Deepfake research must be terminated. Society is not ready.
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »
1) A study showed that people already are as good as a coin flip in terms of saying if certain videos are deepfakes or not. This is the milestone of the complete failure from humans to accurately tell fiction from reality.

Assuming you're talking about the FaceForensics++ paper, the human study only have people look at images, not videos, and for only 2 to 6 seconds per image.  If people had videos to look at, as opposed to relying on stitching and warping artifacts from a single image, I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers would end up being higher.

2) This awesome detection technology will solve all the deepfake problems, right? Alas.... it will just accelerate it further. This algorithm will now be used as the Discriminator on the Generative Adversarial Network, and Deepfakes are now asymptotically getting close to perfection. We already have two feet on dystopic territory.

The first detector used some 2012-era steganalysis to detect fakes, which wouldn't be able to be used as a discriminator in a GAN.  What remains unexplored is the use of detectors that exploit temporal aspects of the videos.  I'd bet that there's a reasonable number of approaches that could detect video manipulation that the GANs that deepfakes use don't.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2019, 05:18:23 PM »
Impressionist + Deep Fake tech

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2019, 09:43:00 AM »
Prediction: when the pee tapes and other incriminating tapes emerge Trump is going to use the Deep Fake Defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2019, 09:48:11 PM »
This was posted back in January... but I've only noticed this detail today. The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, the most scientifically hardcore peer-reviewed organization dedicated exclusively to assessing the real risk of a world wide catastrophe... included deep fakes and AI as major threats to our civilization, together with Nuclear weapons and Climate Change. ( Go to 29:45 in the first video )

Doomsday clock remains at 2 minutes to midnight due to fake news, climate change

Algorithmic fake news is here
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2019, 10:03:13 PM »
Oooh, scary!
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2019, 03:33:38 AM »

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress