Author Topic: Are Organic Foods Really Better for You?  (Read 9979 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Coincidence theorist
    • View Profile
Re: Are Organic Foods Really Better for You?
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2020, 02:09:14 PM »
There are lots of benefits of organic food.
•   Antioxidant
•   Improved Heart condition
•   Antibiotic
•   Pesticide cutback

Antioxidants are little more than marketing hype

Organic farms also use pesticides, and often they use more pesticides than regular farms because the chemicals they use are less processed and consequently far less effective.

As for the other claims, of "improved heart condition" and "antibiotic," let's see some evidence for those.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
Re: Are Organic Foods Really Better for You?
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2020, 04:25:55 AM »
Quote from: SCriminal
  And natural fertilizer is made of poo, which is crawling with e. coli. 

I have several friends right into organic farming.  They quite regularly have to debunk this myth.  Organic farmers do not put shit on their fields.    They may be idealistic, but their not fricken nuts!  They put compost on their fields.  Sometimes this compost comes from shit, but the e. coli is long gone by the time the shit breaks down into compost. 
  Not to say some damn hippie isn't squatting in his beanfield somewhere.   :? 
It also takes more land to feed fewer people, and the only reason we can feed as many people as we do is because we mass-produce food in factory farms and use specialty and GMO crops with huge yields.

My friends would also take issue with this.  They claim that though the yield per farmer is much lower with organic farming, the yield per acre is higher.  Organic farming requires more labor than factory farming to produce X ammount of food, but they can produce it on less land.  As labor costs far outweigh land costs in the developed world, factory farming produces cheaper food. 
Dunno if it's true, but I know thats what they'd say if they were here.

Conventional and organic dairy farmers spray dairy effluent (cowshit collected on the milking platform) onto grazing paddocks.  I am surrounded by large dairy farm and one can see it every day.  There is a prescription for the type of soil, grass and rainfall but I am not sure it is followed.  It is, at a minimum very stinky.

Organic farmers here in NZ will always have livestock rotated onto cropping paddocks and sheep or cattle manure is incorporated into the soil to increase fertility.  Most conventional famers do this as well.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.