Author Topic: Environmentally friendly cargo ships?  (Read 85 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Environmentally friendly cargo ships?
« on: October 17, 2019, 03:27:22 PM »
I have been discussing this with a friend and decided to open up the discussion a bit more to see if anybody has any ideas of this.

Cargo vessels are the life blood of the modern world.  My understanding
is that they are a significant fact in green house gas well well. Looks like it si about 2.5% of green house emissions. What I am trying to come up with are possible solutions. Of course simply making ships more fuel efficient and stop burning black oil is a part of it.

I had a couple of thoughts thought. I know that a lot of electric car batteries are getting close to the end of service.  They are still suppose to be 70 or 80% efficient though and there is talk about use for grid storage. Maybe they can also be used for maritime.  I did some looking up of information and looks like a largish bulk carrier has about 23,000 HP and and my car has 194 horsepower. Rounding down to 20,000 horsepower and accepting maybe half a knot less of speed. At the same time, rounding my car up to 200 horsepower for ease of math.  That means that we are talking about 100 times the horsepower of my car. Modern electric cars have about a 300 mile range. To go 300 miles should require about 100 batteries. Double that number for safety and increase to 4500 miles. That means 3000 batteries. It looks like Tesla batteries are about half a ton each. That means only 1500 tons of batteries, not completely insane. I would want a diesel as a backup but one could have the operation of the diesel engine monitored to make sure it is not run except for emergencies.

I thought about another option. Maybe something that is an outgrowth of modern AIP technologies in submarines. They can gothousands of miles with their fuel cells. Surface ships will have far less concerns about the volume  of the system than a submarine would.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:30:33 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
Re: Environmentally friendly cargo ships?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 04:24:36 PM »
The rogues are always talking about how we need nukes. Nuclear-powered ships are an existing technology. The US has nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. I think that cargo ships are a similar size.

Of course, I like sailboats.  ::)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »
The rogues are always talking about how we need nukes. Nuclear-powered ships are an existing technology. The US has nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. I think that cargo ships are a similar size.

I am concerned with Vetting crews
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »
In LA there is a plan to require that they shut off their diesel engines while in port, and rely on electric tugs to maneuver. They say up to half of their emissions come while in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline daniel1948

• Happy Man in a Boat
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • I'd rather be paddling
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 06:12:04 PM »

Of the nuclear-powered cargo ships, or the sailboats?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 06:44:37 PM »

Of the nuclear-powered cargo ships, or the sailboats?

Nuclear powered vessels - I deal with a lot of crews. Most are not horrible but not nuke material.
An oil spill in port is bad, an LNG ship exploding is really bad, but a nclear ship meltdown in port is far beyond that
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:31:04 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Savannah

US Flag with US crews not Liberian flagged with Filipino crew.
I believe you are ex navy like I am. Merchant ships are not taken care of as US Navy vessels are. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: Today at 01:50:54 AM »

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:47:58 AM »
Another thing we can do is to stop shipping trash and low-grade recyclables around the world. Saving on cost is no excuse, when it's likely because of worse environmental regulations and working conditions, and there's nothing to make up for the extra energy spent. Build processing plants where they're needed, capture the energy and the pollutants, and salvage whatever's left.

Don't ship what doesn't need to be shipped, same as there's no reason to carry fuel that's going to be burnt at ports, when electricity is more efficient.

personate-rain
personate-rain