Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 52697 times)

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #1035 on: November 14, 2019, 05:14:10 PM »
Furthermore, I believe that human life has intrinsic value, in and of itself.

I think the value of some lives is a net negative. Some people cause so much harm that the world would be a better place without them in it.

I understand, but I disagree.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1036 on: November 14, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »
A cauldron of extreme heat developing in WA is heading straight for the east coast bushfire zone

A build up of intense heat that will see temperatures in WA soar into the mid 40s this weekend will be dragged across the country next week, right into parts of New South Wales and Queensland devastated by bushfires this week.

The NSW and Queensland bushfires have already burnt through more than a million hectares of land, killing four people and destroying more than 300 homes.

Bureau of Meteorology spokesman Neil Bennett said milder temperatures were expected to provide some relief to parts of NSW where fires continue to burn over the next few days, but the bushfire threat was far from over with the heat expected to ramp up again.

If this keeps up, eventually the dirt'll catch fire and that's that.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1037 on: November 14, 2019, 05:32:52 PM »
A cauldron of extreme heat developing in WA is heading straight for the east coast bushfire zone

A build up of intense heat that will see temperatures in WA soar into the mid 40s this weekend will be dragged across the country next week, right into parts of New South Wales and Queensland devastated by bushfires this week.

The NSW and Queensland bushfires have already burnt through more than a million hectares of land, killing four people and destroying more than 300 homes.

Bureau of Meteorology spokesman Neil Bennett said milder temperatures were expected to provide some relief to parts of NSW where fires continue to burn over the next few days, but the bushfire threat was far from over with the heat expected to ramp up again.

If this keeps up, eventually the dirt'll catch fire and that's that.

The 2009 Black Saturday fires were preceded by a week of excessively high temperatures, with multiple consecutive days in the 40s. Eucalyptus oil is both volatile and flammable, and the trees were offgassing.

The air burned.

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1039 on: November 14, 2019, 08:52:24 PM »
Furthermore, I believe that human life has intrinsic value, in and of itself.

I think the value of some lives is a net negative. Some people cause so much harm that the world would be a better place without them in it.

I understand, but I disagree.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course, but I have real difficulty believing that anyone can look at Kim Jong Un and say "the world is better because he's in it", and mean it.
Mooohn!

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1040 on: November 14, 2019, 09:43:34 PM »
Or, not to Godwin it or anything, Hitler.

Yes, fine, his life had some intrinsic value because he was a human being, but then so did the millions of lives he caused to end.

Are you really saying Hitler didn't have a net negative impact on the world?
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1041 on: November 14, 2019, 09:58:11 PM »

Yes, fine, his life had some intrinsic value because he was a human being, but then so did the millions of lives he caused to end.

No, I'm not. I'm saying that he shouldn't have been killed. Yes I know he killed himself. Let's go back to Kim because he's still alive. If somehow he could be captured, he should not be executed. That's what I'm saying.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1042 on: November 15, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »
The in-laws have just recommended to not come over for a pre-xmas visit to the Hunter.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1043 on: November 15, 2019, 02:01:47 PM »

No, I'm not. I'm saying that he shouldn't have been killed. Yes I know he killed himself. Let's go back to Kim because he's still alive. If somehow he could be captured, he should not be executed. That's what I'm saying.
What you said you disagree with was a post about the world being better off without certain people. You evidently took it to mean some people ought to be killed by the state for being bad, but given werecow's response I think it's pretty clear that wasn't how he meant it.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

« Reply #1044 on: November 18, 2019, 06:44:54 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #1045 on: November 19, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »
Aramco, the massive oil-producing company owned by the Saudi regime, is intended to go on the stock markets soon. Of course only a minor part, as the Saudi regime is intending to keep owning 95-98.5% of the company. Any outside investor will thus get zero influence.

However, according to an article I read (in Swedish), things are not going as well for Aramco as planned. Aramco is selling a product that the financial markets see little future prospect in. According to the prospect to purchase shares in it, the Paris Agreement is a serious threat to the future profitability of the company, as more and more institutional investors no longer invest in oil. The European Investment Bank has decided not to invest in fossil fuels anymore by the year 2021. And the Bank of England has declared fossil fuels to be a threat to the economy and the financial systems. It estimates that assets worth up to 20 thousand billion dollars can become unsellable, "stranded assets".

Aramco has cancelled planned trips to the US, the UK and Japan to promote the share, because of a lack of interest in these places. Aramco has instead tried to find interested investors in Russia and China.

I couldn't find much of this in any English-language source, but the seeming failure (or much smaller success) of Aramco is great news. A polluting company that sustains a totalitarian regime, let's really hope it fails.

I would be interested to read more about this, if anyone knows more.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #1046 on: November 20, 2019, 10:40:09 AM »
https://twitter.com/markhumphries/status/1194921773868797953

I can see the Not Today Show coming to Amurikkka to not discuss gun control and institutionalized racism.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #1047 on: November 20, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »
Aqua alto! Venice had historic flooding last week. I didn't see anything here but I only went back a few pages. This is a screen cap I took from a NYT video of a man swimming in Piazza San Marco.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 10:47:45 AM by gebobs »

« Reply #1048 on: November 20, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »
Uh oh, flood water's filthy.  Every gutter. Ever dumpster. Ever sewer. Ever inscrutable fleck and smear.  All of it. In that water.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1049 on: November 20, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
Yeah, plus Venice's water was already pretty disgusting even before it had all that extra stuff in it.