Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 58682 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena. Pronouns: he/him
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #1110 on: December 05, 2019, 07:55:30 PM »
Dozens of out-of-control bushfires burn across NSW as conditions expected to worsen

Wind gusts of up to 80km/h in NSW and temperatures 12C above average in Queensland predicted to fan fires

Thousands of firefighters across New South Wales and Queensland have had another long night battling dozens of fires, with conditions on Friday expected to worsen.

NSW was told to expect wind gusts of 80km/h and high temperatures, and Queensland will likely see temperatures about 12C above average over the next two days, surpassing 40C in the Lockyer Valley and Ipswich.

On Thursday night NSW crews responded to five emergency level fires, including the Currowan fire on the south coast, where a number of buildings were believed to have been destroyed.

By Friday morning the blazes had all been downgraded, with six fires in the state at watch and act levels. Less than half of the 97 active fires were under control.
My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1111 on: December 05, 2019, 09:20:05 PM »
Ever since I was a kid, we'd have wild burns in the everglades and ash would drop on us.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1112 on: December 05, 2019, 09:56:55 PM »
Ever since I was a kid, we'd have wild burns in the everglades and ash would drop on us.

The scale of the fires that are burning now are unprecedented in this country's history. Three already very large fires just north of Sydney have now combined into one megafire that has already consumed 300,000 hectares. In American, that's 741316.144 acres. The entire NSW coast is ablaze. I mean the entire coastline.
- Randall Munroe

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1113 on: December 05, 2019, 10:08:34 PM »
That's as may be but some dead leaves on a porch isn't indication of that.
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1114 on: December 05, 2019, 10:25:30 PM »
I don't think you appreciate the scale of what's going on here.
- Randall Munroe

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #1115 on: December 05, 2019, 10:36:02 PM »
or that those dead leaves, are burnt dead leaves, that are landing in the largest city in Australia.

This fire map is about 2,000 kilometres north to south

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1116 on: December 05, 2019, 10:46:59 PM »
Remember, Australia is approximately the same physical size as the continental United States. This is like if the fire was burning the coast of Georgia, both Carolinas and Virginia. That's how much coastal distance we're talking about. And that's just NSW. There are fires in Victoria and Queensland as well.

Snow on the mountains in New Zealand is being stained by the smoke and ash.
- Randall Munroe

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1117 on: December 05, 2019, 11:08:27 PM »

So for you imperial unit types, that's just a brisk 333h walk (breaks not included).
Mooohn!

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1118 on: December 05, 2019, 11:16:24 PM »
Remember, Australia is approximately the same physical size as the continental United States. This is like if the fire was burning the coast of Georgia, both Carolinas and Virginia. That's how much coastal distance we're talking about. And that's just NSW. There are fires in Victoria and Queensland as well.

Snow on the mountains in New Zealand is being stained by the smoke and ash.

You seem to imagine that I'm doubting the scale of the fires. I'm not. I'm just saying it's not something you can demonstrate with a local phenomenon like your porch. Better to have an actual map like Tassie Dave presented.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1119 on: December 05, 2019, 11:21:32 PM »

So for you imperial unit types, that's just a brisk 333h walk (breaks not included).

2,000 km is 1242.742 miles.

You seem to imagine that I'm doubting the scale of the fires. I'm not. I'm just saying it's not something you can demonstrate with a local phenomenon like your porch. Better to have an actual map like Tassie Dave presented.

It is indeed hard to convey the scale of what's going on with a single picture. But there are plenty of pictures to choose from.
- Randall Munroe

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1120 on: December 05, 2019, 11:42:14 PM »

2,000 km is 1242.742 miles.

Yup. I'm assuming a pace of about 6km/h, or about 3,7 mi/h. The pace is brisk given the 333 hours, but just push through the "burn", or, well...
Mooohn!

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1121 on: December 05, 2019, 11:58:06 PM »
Fun fact: If you are one of the approximately 3,500 people who live in Gosford, your only escape route is by boat. All other land access has been cut off by fire.
- Randall Munroe

Online gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1122 on: December 06, 2019, 12:10:20 AM »
That's as may be but some dead leaves on a porch isn't indication of that.
Some charred dead leaves on a porch that has never had that happen before is noteworthy.

Did you also see pictures of Notre Dame burning and think to yourself, "Big deal my campfire makes smoke like that too."?
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1123 on: December 06, 2019, 03:42:10 AM »
More imagery from Australia to flesh out, "increased wildfire frequency and severity."

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
« Reply #1124 on: December 06, 2019, 06:41:39 AM »
A teen volunteer with the Rural Fire Service in New South Wales has been charged after allegedly lighting seven fires in the Bega Valley area.

The volunteer firefighter, 19, allegedly lit a fire on Tuesday afternoon next to the Bega river, left the area and returned to fight the fire for the RFS.

He was arrested at a Tarraganda fire shed within two hours of the fire.

The man was charged with causing the fire as well as six others since 17 October
theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/27/teenage-volunteer-firefighter-charged-with-arson-alleged-to-have-lit-seven-nsw-bushfires
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

personate-rain