Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 44538 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #510 on: May 06, 2019, 11:47:08 AM »
We've cracked 415PPM

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 11:53:18 AM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #511 on: May 08, 2019, 12:29:18 AM »
Climate change a bigger threat to Australia's interests than terrorism, Lowy Institute poll suggests - ABC

Climate change is a "critical threat" to Australia's interests according to almost two-thirds of Australians — ranked as a more serious concern than international terrorism, North Korea's nuclear program or cyber attacks from other countries.

This is the first time climate change has led the list of potential threats in the long-running Lowy Institute poll since the question was first included in 2006.

The poll also confirmed Australians were more concerned about climate change this election than at any time since Kevin Rudd was elected in 2007 — when both major parties proposed an emissions trading scheme.

Australians overwhelmingly agree climate emergency is nation's No 1 threat - The Guardian

New polling from a respected foreign policy thinktank underscores the point that 2019 is the climate change election, with a majority of Australians saying global warming is a critical threat.

The poll undertaken for Lowy says 64% of adults rank climate change number one on a list of 12 threats to Australia’s national interests, up six points from last year’s survey and a jump of 18 points since 2014.

The 2019 result is the first time climate has topped the list of threats since Lowy began the research in 2006. After climate change, cyberattacks ranks second, terrorism third and North Korea’s nuclear program fourth.

The Lowy result is consistent with private research undertaken by environmental groups and by the major political parties, which suggest climate change is surfacing as a concern in parts of the country normally sanguine about the issue.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #512 on: May 08, 2019, 10:15:00 AM »
In other news: water wet!
Mooohn!

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #513 on: May 08, 2019, 11:49:17 AM »
The Overshoot

At the moment, renewables are still only a tiny fraction of global power generation. But we’re approaching a much bigger and more disruptive milestone: very soon, it will be cheaper to build new renewable energy than to operate existing fossil fuel plants.

This will happen as soon as 2020 in some places, and it will be true virtually everywhere by 2030. It will happen in the immense, industrializing population centers of China and India. It will be true in deep-blue coastal cities and deep-red rural counties of the U.S.

Very interesting blogpost.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #514 on: May 08, 2019, 11:59:34 AM »
The Overshoot

At the moment, renewables are still only a tiny fraction of global power generation. But we’re approaching a much bigger and more disruptive milestone: very soon, it will be cheaper to build new renewable energy than to operate existing fossil fuel plants.

This will happen as soon as 2020 in some places, and it will be true virtually everywhere by 2030. It will happen in the immense, industrializing population centers of China and India. It will be true in deep-blue coastal cities and deep-red rural counties of the U.S.

That's good news. Although I'm sure the fossil fuel lobby won't just lay down quietly.
Mooohn!

• Reef Tank Owner

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #516 on: May 08, 2019, 01:45:39 PM »
Article: Canada’s forests haven’t absorbed more carbon than they’ve released since 2001
Date: 2019 MAY 7

Trees are adaptable, but only within certain limits, and right now they’re dying at a consistent rate two to nearly four-times what was seen before 2000.

About four to five per cent of the Aspen Hogg studies as an example species is dying each year.

In the most extreme cases, tree stands that used to house birds and forest animals are flat out disappearing with mortality rates nearing 100 per cent. Where trees once stood, there is now Prairie grasslands.

With dry conditions and standing dead trees, there are two imminent threats that arise. The first are pests and disease ravaging the already-stressed trees, which are now more susceptible to attack. The mountain pine beetle has been able to spread its range from B.C. to Alberta across the Rockies because warmer winters allow it to thrive.

The second threat announces itself each summer with socked-in red skies in Western Canada as the forest transforms into a tinderbox, resulting in record wildfires.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #517 on: May 08, 2019, 02:11:22 PM »
So far for pdb's (at least, I think it was him) pet theory on global greening offsetting global warming.
Mooohn!

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #518 on: May 08, 2019, 02:36:03 PM »
The Overshoot

That's good news. Although I'm sure the fossil fuel lobby won't just lay down quietly.

Oh, they seem to want to profit from it. From the same blogpost:

Carbon-capture technologies are now attracting major investment, including from oil companies, one of the better signs that the technology is viable and scalable. I’m not thrilled by the idea that the same corporations which profited by ruining the planet could profit again by saving it, but I’d much rather save the Earth than see it burn for spite.

I can't speak for other countries, but over here, climate change is widely accepted across the political spectrum (except the populist far-right), and heavy industry, financial industry, etc, pretty much all agree on the seriousness of the problem, and put in various amounts of work to combat it. It is a source of optimism for me.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #519 on: May 08, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »
Yeah, they try to have their cake and eat it too all the time.

Carbon-capture technologies are now attracting major investment, including from oil companies, one of the better signs that the technology is viable and scalable. I’m not thrilled by the idea that the same corporations which profited by ruining the planet could profit again by saving it, but I’d much rather save the Earth than see it burn for spite.

I agree with the essence of the quote, but I suspect I'm a little more spiteful. Maybe a lot. And burning those fossil fuels and then developing expensive technologies for recapturing the carbon just seems wasteful in light of your earlier post. But I guess we're gonna need those anyway now.

I can't speak for other countries, but over here, climate change is widely accepted across the political spectrum (except the populist far-right), and heavy industry, financial industry, etc, pretty much all agree on the seriousness of the problem, and put in various amounts of work to combat it. It is a source of optimism for me.

Not me... There's a lot of talk but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot political will for the kind of action that is needed at this stage.
Mooohn!

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #520 on: May 08, 2019, 03:00:58 PM »
Carbon capture to store carbon permanently is what we need. Carbon capture to create fuel to burn is pointless. It's not carbon neutral unless all fuels were made that way, including any fuel that has to be spent on the process of capturing carbon.

If we're going to subsidize private entities capturing carbon, then we should (as we should in general) tax them as much molecule for molecule for the emissions on the other side of it. If they can manage to come out even, good on them. But if they want to come out ahead, they should make sure that it stays captured.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #521 on: May 09, 2019, 01:11:17 AM »
Britain goes a week without coal power for the first time since the Industrial Revolution

The UK has gone a week without burning any coal to make electricity - the first coal-free week since 1882.

Britain has relied on burning coal for power since the Industrial Revolution, which began in the UK in the 18th Century and spread to other parts of the world.

The Industrial Revolution saw new factories being built and a massive increase in the use of fossil fuels. The world's first coal-fired power station was opened in London in 1882.

Burning fossil fuels has a big impact on the environment and many countries, including the UK, are cutting emissions in an effort to tackle climate change.

Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #522 on: May 09, 2019, 02:41:50 AM »
Carbon capture to store carbon permanently is what we need. Carbon capture to create fuel to burn is pointless. It's not carbon neutral unless all fuels were made that way, including any fuel that has to be spent on the process of capturing carbon.

If we're going to subsidize private entities capturing carbon, then we should (as we should in general) tax them as much molecule for molecule for the emissions on the other side of it. If they can manage to come out even, good on them. But if they want to come out ahead, they should make sure that it stays captured.

Returning to large ruminants grazing vast suitable pastures of deep rooting herbs, grasses and legumes, is the way forward.  It is the one way w have to permanently store atmospheric carbon, except for the efforts in Iceland using vast amounts of geothermal energy and taking advantage of advantageous geology.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #523 on: May 09, 2019, 08:31:23 AM »
Deep roots, tall trunks, bury it in a solid form somewhere where it can't degrade and cause emissions later. Even building stuff out of wood can be a help, though it's difficult to scale that up without negatively affecting forestation.

Currently annoyed with "green" politicians who are talking about protecting the environment, and they use tourism as an argument for why certain things should be preserved, because apparently tourism is just great. Maybe it's a nice experience, and a financial benefit for a lucky few, but you're not protecting the environment by having people use energy to travel everywhere, leaving garbage wherever they go, even wearing down the ground they're walking on, as well as disturbing wildlife. Looking up some things, I see this Lonely Planet article:

Travel trends for 2019: getting off the touristed path

It’s no secret that some of the world’s most amazing destinations are feeling the tourism squeeze. But that’s no reason to stay put: as communities cope with travellers’ all-too-loving embrace, being a good tourist just means getting strategic about where to go and when.

Every traveller is on a journey, though it’s becoming clearer that some paths are so well trodden that they’re at risk of wearing out. Even when we try to venture off the tourist track it can be hard not to bump into others doing the same thing. But that doesn’t mean it’s time to put away your packing cubes and ignore your itchy feet; it’s just a new opportunity to consider your impact on the places you cherish.

There are many ways to spread the travel love, and beating the crowds doesn’t mean skipping the iconic spots. Sustainable travel can come in many forms. Stay in an under-explored neighbourhood in a must-see city and you’ll get to live like a local and support the community. Skip the day trip – which will only leave you without a feel for the place – and spend more time in local shops and cafes, picking up some incredible, and meaningful, souvenirs.

Skipping day trips, sure, if that means you spend more time in one place, rather than spend more time traveling.

But the answer to where to go and when should be closer and less often. Not to hunt down the last few undisturbed places in the world to disturb them as well. Sustainable travel is like drinking moderately. If you want to do it better, do it less. Any advert for it is an advert for more damage to be caused.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #524 on: May 09, 2019, 03:52:06 PM »
Yeah, they try to have their cake and eat it too all the time.

I agree with the essence of the quote, but I suspect I'm a little more spiteful. Maybe a lot. And burning those fossil fuels and then developing expensive technologies for recapturing the carbon just seems wasteful in light of your earlier post. But I guess we're gonna need those anyway now.

Not me... There's a lot of talk but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot political will for the kind of action that is needed at this stage.

Maybe I am just a hopeless, naive, optimist? I admit to having a strong bias in that I want for the human species, and other species on this planet, to flourish. Not that I don't think you want the same, of course. :)

The problem is massive, and it will probably take centuries to undo the damage we have done, the parts that can be undone, at least. Still, all the more reason to start it now. And all those initiatives from various corners are steps in the right direction.

personate-rain