Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 52593 times)

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #930 on: September 30, 2019, 06:26:28 PM »
Using a false metaphor to insult is ironic, and not very effective.l

Weird then, that you understood what was meant by the metaphor, being as it isn't very effective.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #931 on: September 30, 2019, 06:36:32 PM »
Using a false metaphor to insult is ironic, and not very effective.l

What metaphor? It's just a picture of two GOP Louisiana governor candidates I found online somewhere.
Mooohn!

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
« Reply #932 on: September 30, 2019, 10:10:48 PM »
Weird then, that you understood what was meant by the metaphor, (edit)
I know what is meant by the metaphor, but it's not a true thing.  That's the irony.

It's like claiming somebody is ignoring reality by using a metaphor that ignores reality.  Actually, that is exactly what it is.
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #933 on: October 01, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
::)

I suppose I could have used

But then, I don't have one of those with both candidates. And it doesn't really help, either.
Mooohn!

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #934 on: October 02, 2019, 12:15:52 AM »
And it doesn't really help, either.
What would help?  That is the essential question.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #935 on: October 02, 2019, 09:05:59 AM »
And it doesn't really help, either.
What would help?  That is the essential question.

Only if you think metaphors have to be reality based.
Mooohn!

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #936 on: October 02, 2019, 09:38:03 AM »
Weird then, that you understood what was meant by the metaphor, (edit)
I know what is meant by the metaphor, but it's not a true thing.  That's the irony.

It's like claiming somebody is ignoring reality by using a metaphor that ignores reality.  Actually, that is exactly what it is.

In that case, it's even more brilliant than it was at first blush. Thanks for drilling down!

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #937 on: October 02, 2019, 12:28:52 PM »
Thanks for drilling down!
You must be an oil person.

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #938 on: October 02, 2019, 03:36:19 PM »
This is depressing. Its the hottest day in Oct in DC ever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/10/02/washington-soars-degrees-tying-all-time-october-heat-mark/
There are many years in which Washington never hits 98 degrees even in July and August much less October. In records dating back to 1872, 40 percent of years never reached such a temperature according to Capital Weather Gang information lead Ian Livingston.

that blows me away that 40% of the time since 1872 it hasn't got that hot all year and its that hot in Oct. Yet the last few decades...  So ready for fall...

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #939 on: October 02, 2019, 04:08:38 PM »
Dystopia Journal #33: Climate Strike

Their surprising conclusion is that agricultural yields in the Northeast and the Northwest could rise because of warmer temperatures and shifts in rainfall, meaning that climate change could confer a small net economic benefit. Meanwhile, southern states will be hit by more life-threatening heat waves, and those on the coast will face sea-level rise and more powerful, more destructive hurricanes.

The upshot is that the states which have refused to take action on climate change are also the ones at the greatest risk of catastrophe:

9 of the 10 states contending with the highest losses of county income voted for President Trump in 2016, including, in order, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Alabama. Fifteen of the 16 highest-harm states were also red.

Unfortunately, we can’t sit back and leave the red states to the drowned, polluted future they’re fighting to create for themselves, no matter how poetically appropriate that might feel. Climate change is the ultimate commons problem; we have to stop it everywhere to stop it anywhere. As unfair as it is, if we manage to save the world, it seems likely that we’ll have to drag the denialists kicking and screaming to their own rescue.

This translates globally as well. The countries that seem most concerned with climate change seem to be mostly located in more temperate climate zones, that will be the least affected by a warmer climate, and could actually gain minor benefits in some regards. Meanwhile, countries that run the greatest risks seem to care the least.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
« Reply #941 on: October 04, 2019, 12:15:06 PM »
https://www.cpr.org/2019/10/04/closure-of-the-wests-coal-fired-power-plants-is-picking-up-steam/

The utility isn't alone in stepping away from coal-fired electricity. U.S. utilities have announced the retirement of over 546 coal-fired power generators since 2010, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

The decline is largely responsible for a 30 percent drop in U.S. coal production during that time.

The proposal by PacifiCorp would hasten closure of the Colstrip power plant in eastern Montana. Two of the plant’s four generating units are scheduled to close this year; the remaining two may now close in 2027 instead of 2046.

It also would hasten the shutdown of coal-fired generators at the Jim Bridger and Naughton power plants in Wyoming and the Craig power plant in Colorado.

PacifiCorp was already pursuing partial or full closure of three other coal-fired power plants near Joseph City, Arizona; Hayden, Colorado; and Glenrock, Wyoming by 2030.

The changes announced Thursday would see PacifiCorp dropping 4,500 megawatts of coal-fired power and adding 4,600 megawatts of wind power and 6,300 megawatts of solar power by 2038.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #942 on: October 06, 2019, 02:40:12 AM »
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1179082859908403200

Hell on your cars undercarriage. . . .Probably as bad, if not worse, than living in an area that salts their roads.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #943 on: October 08, 2019, 06:31:31 AM »
Maybe it's petty, but I have to admit that I find myself slightly annoyed by the fact that Greta Thunberg is now a front runner for the Nobel peace prize. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly nothing against her. It's the superficiality of the whole thing; it's great that she's raising awareness, but she's coming in at the tail end of a decades long battle for the public mind, at a point where the majority of people is already on board, and she is just saying what scientists and skeptics have been saying for many many years. Some of those people have had their lives destroyed and their reputations tarnished over and over, and yet they have kept going. Yet they get no credit. She tells adults to adult for once, and everyone cheers like it's a totally new concept. If she was 4 years older, I suspect that she would not get much attention. Certainly not her fault, but it feels like this reaction is kind of like a symptom of everything that is wrong with our societies.

(And yes, I know the peace prize is kind of a joke - I mean, Henry Kissinger, really? - but that's kind of the point.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 06:48:57 AM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #944 on: October 08, 2019, 07:43:34 AM »
I'd like to see her turn it down (not sure how that works out officially, it could be turned down behind the scenes).

There are plenty of arguments against accepting it, like not wanting to be associated with people responsible for wars of profit, or religious wars, or other failed preventive prizes. Or because the job's not done. Whether considering her specifically, or someone else, or the much broader overall movement, not much has been accomplished. You could say there hasn't been a significant enough response yet.

In Norway we just had our national budget for 2020 announced, not much is happening here despite being way behind (or ahead of) where we should be on emissions in 2020, and projecting to 2030. And Germany's softening their targets. Not seeing much in the way of exceeding previous targets, other than for developing countries that had a lower target to meet.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-government-accused-of-watering-down-climate-bill/a-50719441

According to Spiegel, German officials have cut the goal to limit national CO2 emission by 2040. Also, the latest version of the bill drops the pledge that Germany would reach greenhouse-gas neutrality by 2050. Instead, it only says this goal should be "pursued."

Another change considers the national climate council, the body of experts appointed by the government. The final draft removes the demand for the council to produce a yearly evaluation report. Also, the experts would no longer be required to provide advice to ministries on adjusting their CO2 rate to keep them on track.

I don't think she needs the money, or even the publicity of the Peace Prize. And Norway doesn't deserve to throw an environmentalism party.

Although one upside would be that it's not far for her to travel.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 07:53:35 AM by 2397 »

personate-rain
personate-rain