Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 59640 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2017, 07:28:00 pm »
Beginning to be afraid it may eventually involve culling the herd
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2017, 01:11:06 am »
The Sixth Mass Extinction:
They found that about 30 percent of all land vertebrates — mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians — are experiencing declines and local population losses. In most parts of the world, mammal populations are losing 70 percent of their members because of habitat loss.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/11/climate/mass-extinction-animal-species.html
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2017, 07:20:44 am »
Beginning to be afraid it may eventually involve culling the herd

We've been doing that, but I don't think anything short of nuclear war would be feasible as a way of deliberately killing off a high enough number of humans.

Which could take centuries to recover from. I think prevention is the best approach whatever your morals are otherwise.

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2017, 10:36:18 am »
Larsen C finally calved.

Approximately the size of Delaware, almost 2,200 square miles, Larsen C is the third gigantic ice shelf to collapse from this section of Antarctica since 1995. On average, the Larsen C iceberg will be 625 feet thick across its immense expanse, but up to 695 feet of its ice may be hidden below the water’s surface. Break out the sleds, because that’s big enough to cover all 50 states in 4.6 inches of ice.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/antarcticas-larsen-c-ice-shelf-finally-breaks-releases-giant-iceberg/

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:39:38 am by Soldier of FORTRAN »
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Online gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2017, 01:10:19 pm »
Huge article from NY Mag.  It's well written.  It's a review of the angles on, "Climate Change: Worse And Sooner Than You Think."
Michael Mann wrote a response that urges a bit less doomsaying.

Online CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2017, 02:27:12 pm »
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2017, 04:01:23 pm »
Additional media:

Footage of rift from light aircraft: Twitter

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • View Profile
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2017, 08:39:59 pm »
I don't have any clue if this is real. . . .Seems strnage and connot be sure that the images represent what they claim
http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/warnings-of-new-arctic-explosions-at-some-700-plus-sites-in-yamal-due-to-thawing-permafrost/

Warnings of new Arctic explosions at some 700-plus sites in Yamal due to thawing permafrost

Startling details have emerged of last week's methane gas blowout on an Arctic riverbank: a sudden and deafening bang from a large explosion of the ground near a reindeer encampment, fire shooting into the sky and raging for several minutes from the eruption, huge chunks of charred permafrost blown out of the ground, and a deep, eerie crater forming, some 50 metres deep which immediately filled with water.

Reindeer and dogs fled in fright. Sand and grass was blackened by the intense heat of the eruption which was described as 'a flame of fire and then a rising pillar of smoke'.

Scientists rushed to the scene on the Yamal Peninsula to examine the site in the immediate aftermath of the explosion, amid expert warnings that many can be expected as a warming climate leads to thawing permafrost and the release of potent methane gas which has lain frozen under the surface for thousands of years.

The ground is 'swelling' at more than 700 sites on Yamal - known to locals as 'the end of the world' -  have been identified as potential explosion sites, but these are seen as the tip of an iceberg.

Many are hillocks or knolls, some are pingos

Interesting. Not the first time Yamal has come up.

I spoke to my geologist friend and he thinks it is plausible.

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2017, 12:32:35 pm »

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2017, 02:38:37 pm »
I'm wondering what the market is like for domestic CO2 scrubbers.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2017, 03:17:24 pm »
I'm wondering what the market is like for domestic CO2 scrubbers.

Here they are, deep rooting pasture and happy grazers.  Tasty as well, mind you.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2017, 10:29:27 pm »
Yes, I'm sure a sustainable level of grazing cattle will definitely be enough to sequester a few hundred billion tons of carbon.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2017, 12:25:26 am »
I was thinking for home use.

In 100 years the CO2 levels might be permanently above 1000 ppm, meaning that there will no longer be any fresh air anywhere. And indoor air quality will be that much more difficult to maintain.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2017, 01:16:13 am »
Yes, I'm sure a sustainable level of grazing cattle will definitely be enough to sequester a few hundred billion tons of carbon.

Most of the carbon in the atmosphere has come from soil use change from grazing millions (billions?) of free living ruminants world wide to arable agriculture.  The only way to sequester enough atmospheric carbon to make a positive difference is through grazing.  It isn't my idea, btw, and it isn't enough to just stop emitting CO2.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2017, 01:29:34 am »

Most of the carbon in the atmosphere has come from soil use change from grazing millions (billions?) of free living ruminants world wide to arable agriculture.  The only way to sequester enough atmospheric carbon to make a positive difference is through grazing.  It isn't my idea, btw, and it isn't enough to just stop emitting CO2.
[CITATION NEEDED]
HIISSSSSSSS