Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 19438 times)

Online 2397

• Well Established
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #285 on: November 22, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1065400254151954432

Wow, is that how that works?

Going from a guy you could have a beer with (except for the alcoholism), to a guy you could talk about the weather with (until a squirrel or sexy blood relative appears).

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2018, 02:12:38 PM »
How did it not get canned?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #288 on: November 25, 2018, 06:36:26 PM »

Gross incompetence? Plus it was scheduled to be released next  year but for some reason was released when ready.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #289 on: November 26, 2018, 09:50:58 AM »

Gross incompetence? Plus it was scheduled to be released next  year but for some reason was released when ready.

On Thanksgiving weekend.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #290 on: November 30, 2018, 01:28:14 PM »

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #291 on: December 01, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #292 on: December 06, 2018, 05:50:33 AM »
Carbon Dioxide Emissions See Largest Jump in 7 Years: Global Carbon Project

World carbon dioxide emissions are estimated to have risen 2.7 percent from 2017 to 2018, according to three studies released Wednesday from the Global Carbon Project , an international scientific collaboration of academics, governments and industry that tracks greenhouse gas emissions. The calculations, announced during negotiations to put the 2015 Paris climate accord into effect, puts some of the landmark agreement’s goals nearly out of reach, scientists said.

“This is terrible news,” said Andrew Jones, co-director of Climate Interactive, which models greenhouse gas emissions and temperatures but was not part of the research. “Every year that we delay serious climate action, the Paris goals become more difficult to meet.”

The studies concluded that this year the world would spew 40.9 billion tons of carbon dioxide, up from 39.8 billion tons last year. The margin of error is about one percentage point on either side.

Picked up the graphs from this French language article. 37.1 metric, 40.9 short ton.

The U.S., which had been steadily decreasing its carbon pollution, showed a significant rise in emissions — up 2.5 percent — for the first time since 2013. China, the globe’s biggest carbon emitter, saw its largest increase since 2011: 4.6 percent.

Study lead author Corinne Le Quere, a climate change researcher at the University of East Anglia in England, said the increase is a surprising “reality check” after a few years of smaller emission increases. But she also doesn’t think the world will return to the even larger increases seen from 2003 to 2008. She believes unusual factors are at play this year.

For the U.S., it was a combination of a hot summer and cold winter that required more electricity use for heating and cooling. For China, it was an economic stimulus that pushed coal-powered manufacturing, Le Quere said.

Not that reassuring, if we can expect more extreme weather either end as the climate changes. And for China it looks like the few years of not increasing emissions were the unusual ones.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:22:02 AM by 2397 »

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #293 on: December 06, 2018, 10:23:29 AM »
Desert Hellworld, here we come!

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2018, 01:27:05 PM »
Article: Greenland's ice sheet melt has 'gone into overdrive' and is now 'off the charts'
Date: 2018 DEC 5

"Melting of the Greenland ice sheet has gone into overdrive," said Luke Trusel, a glaciologist at Rowan University and lead author of the study. "Greenland melt is adding to sea level more than any time during the last three and a half centuries, if not thousands of years," he said.

Ice loss from Greenland is the single largest contributor to global sea-level rise
, which is predicted to lead to inundation of low-lying islands and coastal cities around the world over the next several decades and centuries.

At the moment, conservative estimates of global sea level rise predict an additional half a meter or more by the end of the century, according to German news agency Deutsche Welle (DW). Alun Hubbard, a professor of glaciology at Aberystwyth University in Wales, told DW that even an increase of half a meter is "a terrible disaster for humanity – especially coastal regions of the planet."

Specifically, the melt rate over the past two decades was 33 percent higher than the 20th-century average, and 50 percent higher than in the pre-industrial era before the mid-1800s.

How long before the real estate crisis of collapsing coastal property values?

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2018, 06:15:44 PM »

I would really like to hear what people think about this.  It has got to be coming very soon, I would think.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #296 on: December 07, 2018, 10:01:33 PM »

I would really like to hear what people think about this.  It has got to be coming very soon, I would think.

It's already happening in NZ.  Properties too much at risk are uninsurable and unsaleable.  Boom.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #297 on: December 10, 2018, 10:44:57 AM »

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #298 on: December 10, 2018, 11:10:54 AM »
I heard about the boom in industrial hemp on NPR. Apparently, it can be used as a building material. Imagine displacing existing building materials with a carbon negative alternative. It is carbon negative since it functions as long term sequestration.

I wonder how many billions of tons of hemp we would need to grow to take a significant amount of CO2 out of the atmosphere, and how many houses or apartment buildings you could build with it.

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #299 on: December 10, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »
Yeah, it's interesting.  Hemp's a cheap industrial feedstock with a variety of applications.  There's a lot it can help go green.

Article: Hemp legalization included in new farm bill could 'open the floodgates' on nascent industry
Date: 2018 DEC 7

The bill would legalize hemp cultivation and could be a catalyst for explosive growth in a nascent industry that some forecast could top $20 billion by 2022.
Industrial hemp is used to make everything from apparel, foods and pharmaceuticals to personal care products, car dashboards and building materials.

edit:

On the subject of sequestration:
Article: Growing our way out of climate change by building with hemp and wood fibre
Date: 2014 SEP 25
Making one tonne of steel emits 1.46 tonnes of CO2 and 198kg of CO2 is emitted make one tonne of reinforced concrete. One square metre of timber framed, hemp-lime wall (weighing 120kg), after allowing for the energy cost of transporting and assembling the materials actually stores 35.5kg of CO2.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 12:55:38 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »

personate-rain
personate-rain