Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 59634 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
    • View Profile
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #465 on: April 02, 2019, 11:43:46 am »
Mainstream meat-substitutes on the rise.

Article: Burger King’s new Whopper is 0% beef. That’s a big deal.
Date: 2019 APR 01

Starting April 1, Burger King is selling a new kind of Whopper that it claims is identical in taste to its traditional beef patty, with just one difference: It contains zero beef.

No, that’s not an April Fools’ joke (though some people, including in the Vox newsroom, wondered if it might be).

The new beefless burger is a partnership with the startup company Impossible Foods, which will supply patties made with heme, a protein cultivated from soybean roots that mimics the texture of meat — convincingly, by the sounds of it.

“People on my team who know the Whopper inside and out, they try it and they struggle to differentiate which one is which,” Fernando Machado, Burger King’s chief marketing officer, told the New York Times.

This is a huge deal for those who want to see meat alternatives replace actual meat because of concerns over animal cruelty or climate change. If this scales up, it could help save hundreds of thousands of animals from suffering on factory farms, and it could fight global warming by reducing the number of methane-producing cattle. It could also combat other problems like antibiotic resistance.

Burger King is giving the Impossible Burger a trial run in 59 restaurants in the St. Louis area, and if that goes well, the fast-food chain will make the product available in all its 7,200 branches across the US, according to Machado. That could signal the start of a noticeable drop in meat consumption nationwide if other chains follow Burger King’s lead. Which they are reasonably likely to do.

White Castle has already begun selling a slider version of the patty produced by Impossible Foods. And in January, Carl’s Jr. restaurants started offering a veggie burger made by another plant-based meat company, Beyond Meat.

Positive implications on several issues, climate change included.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 02, 2019, 12:37:26 pm »
This is great news! I hope they put this substitute globally. If I'm not mistaken, Burger King has been lagging behind McDonald's when it comes to offering vegetarian or vegan options.

It sounds a lot like oumph!, which is very meaty in texture. Such substitutes could be an important feature of our future.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Online CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 02, 2019, 03:10:54 pm »
Mainstream meat-substitutes on the rise.

Article: Burger King’s new Whopper is 0% beef. That’s a big deal.
Date: 2019 APR 01

Starting April 1, Burger King is selling a new kind of Whopper that it claims is identical in taste to its traditional beef patty, with just one difference: It contains zero beef.

No, that’s not an April Fools’ joke (though some people, including in the Vox newsroom, wondered if it might be).

The new beefless burger is a partnership with the startup company Impossible Foods, which will supply patties made with heme, a protein cultivated from soybean roots that mimics the texture of meat — convincingly, by the sounds of it.

“People on my team who know the Whopper inside and out, they try it and they struggle to differentiate which one is which,” Fernando Machado, Burger King’s chief marketing officer, told the New York Times.

This is a huge deal for those who want to see meat alternatives replace actual meat because of concerns over animal cruelty or climate change. If this scales up, it could help save hundreds of thousands of animals from suffering on factory farms, and it could fight global warming by reducing the number of methane-producing cattle. It could also combat other problems like antibiotic resistance.

Burger King is giving the Impossible Burger a trial run in 59 restaurants in the St. Louis area, and if that goes well, the fast-food chain will make the product available in all its 7,200 branches across the US, according to Machado. That could signal the start of a noticeable drop in meat consumption nationwide if other chains follow Burger King’s lead. Which they are reasonably likely to do.

White Castle has already begun selling a slider version of the patty produced by Impossible Foods. And in January, Carl’s Jr. restaurants started offering a veggie burger made by another plant-based meat company, Beyond Meat.

Positive implications on several issues, climate change included.

Or a diet fad with exaggerated claims not supported but good science

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 02, 2019, 07:19:39 pm »
I just heard that Canada is warming at double the global rate, with disproportionate effects in the West and far North.

So yay, I guess?

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 02, 2019, 10:58:22 pm »
Polar amplification?
Mooohn!

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 03, 2019, 12:05:52 pm »
I just heard that Canada is warming at double the global rate, with disproportionate effects in the West and far North.

So yay, I guess?

It's the same in Sweden.

In a way, I guess that if the Earth warms a total of 2 C, maybe it's better (or less bad) if the northern-most parts get the most of it? That would mean less warming near the equator, and northern Europe and northern North America don't run the risk of becoming uninhabitable for humans.

We also have another factor that will help mitigate rising sea levels somewhat: Post-glacial rebound

Offline Shibboleth

• Over Nine Thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 03, 2019, 01:20:38 pm »
Sorry if this was already posted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47638586

A technology that removes carbon dioxide from the air has received significant backing from major fossil fuel companies.

I hope this works because I don't see governments and people in the next few years making any significant changes to their oil consumption behavior.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 03, 2019, 01:33:43 pm »
And just in general, we need as many carbon capture and sequestration (CCS) options as we can get.  There's an absurd amount of carbon dioxide to remove.  Every CCS system's liable to hit scalability constraints.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 03, 2019, 02:13:42 pm »
Sorry if this was already posted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47638586

A technology that removes carbon dioxide from the air has received significant backing from major fossil fuel companies.

I hope this works because I don't see governments and people in the next few years making any significant changes to their oil consumption behavior.

Previously it was posted about a similar technology, then from Iceland.

We need all of that stuff that we can get. That combined with a move to green technology.

That this technology is making headway gives me hope.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2019, 05:00:40 pm »
Still sounds quite pitiful. Is anyone yet talking about the realism of removing billions rather than millions of tons of CO2? That's what we need, around 30 billion tons in emissions reduction every year. Unless we wait too long to start reducing emissions (another year at this point?), and then we need even more reduction/sequestration.

3 trillion USD per year to save the world (read: human civilization) is more worth it than not doing it. But if we were willing to spend that much, we would've achieved a lot more already.

So how does this system work?

CO2 is a powerful warming gas but there's not a lot of it in the atmosphere - for every million particles of air, there are 410 of CO2.

While the CO2 is helping to drive temperatures up around the world, the comparatively low concentrations make it difficult to design efficient machines to remove the gas.

Carbon Engineering's process is all about sucking in air and exposing it to a chemical solution that concentrates the CO2. Further refinements mean the gas can be purified into a form that can be stored or utilised as a liquid fuel.

Using it as a fuel needs to be ruled out, or we need to ignore this tech if there's another option that is only about permanent storage. The article makes it sound like permanent storage isn't even part of what they do, and to do that would increase the cost, while an energy company might want to burn it instead.

We're already cheating the numbers with biofuels, by pretending that they're neutral when they lead to destruction and increased emissions through deforestation and land use. Until we've already achieved the net emissions we need, carbon neutrality (read: not actually carbon neutral when you look beyond the most narrow calculations) is not good enough.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 03, 2019, 09:51:32 pm »

So yay, I guess?

It's the same in Sweden.

In a way, I guess that if the Earth warms a total of 2 C, maybe it's better (or less bad) if the northern-most parts get the most of it? That would mean less warming near the equator, and northern Europe and northern North America don't run the risk of becoming uninhabitable for humans.

We also have another factor that will help mitigate rising sea levels somewhat: Post-glacial rebound

I mean, I guess that's kind of good for the equatorial regions as long as they're not near a coastline, but it also means more and faster ice melt, and more heat absorption by the ocean, and perhaps in the future a shift in the thermohaline circulation. Which would not be a good thing. And keep in mind that the climate models take this into account, and the 1.5oC is a global average, so it doesn't make the scenarios any better.
Mooohn!

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 04, 2019, 02:30:05 pm »

So yay, I guess?

It's the same in Sweden.

I mean, I guess that's kind of good for the equatorial regions as long as they're not near a coastline, but it also means more and faster ice melt, and more heat absorption by the ocean, and perhaps in the future a shift in the thermohaline circulation. Which would not be a good thing. And keep in mind that the climate models take this into account, and the 1.5oC is a global average, so it doesn't make the scenarios any better.

Oh you are right, I didn't think about that.

Online CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 04, 2019, 03:18:44 pm »
So the jet stream and ocean currents, which combine to create stable climates in the northern hemisphere, have been relatively stable for millennia. But so has average temperatures and ocean temperatures.

Now that temperatures are rising there his no telling how drastic the effect will be on those systems (or it it will have any effect).

In addition to global warming we could soon see drastic climate change in large parts of the globe.  Northern Europe could re-enter an ice age.

Northern africa could become a rain forrest.

The American plains could be the next Siberia. Or the new Sahara.

... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 04, 2019, 03:23:10 pm »
So the jet stream and ocean currents, which combine to create stable climates in the northern hemisphere, have been relatively stable for millennia. But so has average temperatures and ocean temperatures.

Now that temperatures are rising there his no telling how drastic the effect will be on those systems (or it it will have any effect).

In addition to global warming we could soon see drastic climate change in large parts of the globe.  Northern Europe could re-enter an ice age.

Most of Australia could be inhabitable. Oh wait it already is  ;)

More of Australia could be inhabitable.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 04, 2019, 03:36:08 pm »

Most of Australia could be inhabitable. Oh wait it already is  ;)

More of Australia could be inhabitable.

Australia is projected to make it ok.