Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 34873 times)

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #600 on: June 08, 2019, 08:20:25 PM »
Man, how the fuck are we ever going to tackle this problem if we have to keep fighting uphill battles over gas guzzlers and lightbulbs. I'm not one to have a defeatist attitude on this issue, but some days...

See my answer here, in another Global Warming thread

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #601 on: June 09, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »
WAITROSE TRIALS 'BRING YOUR OWN' CONTAINER SCHEME TO REDUCE PLASTIC WASTE

Waitrose is trialling a "bring your own" container scheme that encourages customers to buy and refill produce.

The supermarket chain, which is part of John Lewis & Partners, will start selling items such as cereals, pasta, coffee and rice in large dispensers as part of the concept, which it hopes will effectively reduce waste from plastic packaging.

Cleaning products and alcohol will also be available through dispensers.

Baby steps...
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #602 on: June 10, 2019, 07:45:37 AM »
Maybe some good news. I don't know if he is a good or bad person but this is something everybody with money needs to help with.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/climate/bloomberg-climate-pledge-coal.html

Michael Bloomberg Promises $500 Million to Help End Coal
WASHINGTON — Michael R. Bloomberg, the former mayor of New York City, said on Friday he would donate $500 million to a new campaign to close every coal-fired power plant in the United States and halt the growth of natural gas.

The new campaign, called Beyond Carbon, is designed to help eliminate coal by focusing on state and local governments. The effort will bypass Washington, where Mr. Bloomberg has said national action appears unlikely because of a divided Congress and a president who denies the established science of climate change.

“We’re in a race against time with climate change, and yet there is virtually no hope of bold federal action on this issue for at least another two years,” Mr. Bloomberg said in a statement before the announcement, which he made in a commencement address at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. “Mother Nature is not waiting on our political calendar, and neither can we.”

President Trump has made reviving what he has called “clean, beautiful coal” a cornerstone of his energy agenda.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #603 on: June 10, 2019, 08:23:43 AM »
It will fund lobbying efforts by environmental groups — in state legislatures, City Councils and public utility commissions — that aim to close coal plants and replace them with wind, solar and other renewable power. Part of the cash also will go toward efforts to elect local lawmakers who prioritize clean energy.

I guess it's better than nothing, but I was hoping for something more significant, like buying coal plants and shutting them down, or targeting the workers and finding other jobs for them. Instead it's just another lobbying group.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #604 on: June 10, 2019, 06:13:38 PM »
It will fund lobbying efforts by environmental groups — in state legislatures, City Councils and public utility commissions — that aim to close coal plants and replace them with wind, solar and other renewable power. Part of the cash also will go toward efforts to elect local lawmakers who prioritize clean energy.

I guess it's better than nothing, but I was hoping for something more significant, like buying coal plants and shutting them down, or targeting the workers and finding other jobs for them. Instead it's just another lobbying group.

I don't think 500 million will buy many coal plants - Looks like building cost of a new coal plan is about $2 billion. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #605 on: June 11, 2019, 07:06:56 PM »
Wow. . . .This is a hell of a milestone to hit. One item is that it sure looks like Trump cannot back a winner.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/11/business/renewable-energy-coal-capacity/index.html

America's renewable energy capacity is now greater than coal

New York (CNN Business)America's coal industry has already been left in the dust by natural gas. Now it's under immense pressure from the renewable energy boom.

The renewable energy sector had slightly more installed capacity than coal in April, according to a Federal Energy Regulatory Commission report.
SUN DAY Campaign, a nonprofit research group supporting sustainable energy. The breakthrough reflects the plunging cost of solar and wind as well as heightened environmental concern about coal.
"Coal has no technology path," said Jeff McDermott, managing partner at Greentech Capital Advisors, a boutique investment bank focused on clean energy. "It's got nowhere to go but extinction."
The clean energy revolution is on the verge of a tipping point.
Also in April, the renewable energy sector was projected to have generated more electricity than coal, according to a separate report published by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis. That transition was partially driven by seasonal issues.
At the same time, America has drastically cut back on its appetite for coal. Since peaking in 2008, US coal consumption has plunged 39% to the lowest level in 40 years, according to the US Energy Information Administration.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #606 on: June 13, 2019, 12:41:24 AM »
Article: Climate change drives widespread and rapid thermokarst development in very cold permafrost in the Canadian High Arctic
Date: 2019 JUN 10

[...] Observed maximum thaw depths at our sites are already exceeding those projected to occur by 2090 under RCP 4.5.

Key Points:
  • Observed thermokarst development in very cold permafrost at 3 monitoring sites along a 700 km transect in the Canadian High Arctic.
  • Rapid landscape response to above average summer warmth is due to limited thermal buffering from overlying ecosystem components and near‐surface ground ice.
  • Change was greatest at Mould Bay where thawing index values were 240 % above historic normals causing ~90 cm of subsidence in 12 years.

lmao owned
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #607 on: June 14, 2019, 04:46:00 AM »
Article: Climate change drives widespread and rapid thermokarst development in very cold permafrost in the Canadian High Arctic
Date: 2019 JUN 10

[...] Observed maximum thaw depths at our sites are already exceeding those projected to occur by 2090 under RCP 4.5.

Key Points:
  • Observed thermokarst development in very cold permafrost at 3 monitoring sites along a 700 km transect in the Canadian High Arctic.
  • Rapid landscape response to above average summer warmth is due to limited thermal buffering from overlying ecosystem components and near‐surface ground ice.
  • Change was greatest at Mould Bay where thawing index values were 240 % above historic normals causing ~90 cm of subsidence in 12 years.

lmao owned

Cattle burps will seem insignificant.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #608 on: June 16, 2019, 01:35:04 AM »
Looks like the start of another bad year for Greenland:

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #609 on: June 16, 2019, 11:18:05 PM »
1987 - July - 23

personate-rain