Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 59645 times)

Offline Igor SMC

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • View Profile
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #645 on: June 22, 2019, 01:30:41 pm »
Where should we be at this time? Becoming not only carbon neutral, but carbon negative.
Where are we? Still increasing emissions to record high values... and now, since Bolsonaro took power (The most anti-science president in the entire history of Brazil), the destruction of our Nature basically got free from consequences. Bolsonaro is doing whatever he can to destroy the Ministry of the Environment. He literally proposed it to be extinguished, and since that caused a huge backlash from all parties, he felt it would be enough to assign an science denier to be the Minister. He is removing all the powers from IBAMA (The Brazilian equivalent of the EPA), said is going to forgive all the industries that illegally deforested huge regions, and spreading the lunacy that climate change is a communist hoax...

Deforestation of Brazilian Amazon surges to record high
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/04/deforestation-of-brazilian-amazon-surges-to-record-high-bolsonaro
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 22, 2019, 02:38:30 pm »
Looks like he's following the Trump Strategy for effectively eliminating troublesome agencies without officially ending them on paper.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 22, 2019, 04:30:16 pm »
I was reminded at the recent lecture on microbes and climate (but not addressed by the lecturer) about di hydrogen sulfide and the negative loop with regards to albedo.  Thanks Dr Lovelock for another discovery.
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 22, 2019, 04:42:44 pm »
Hoping we'll have prepared some engineered microbes that can produce a few terratons of oxygen per year, if the entire rest of the ecosystem collapses.

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 22, 2019, 04:49:48 pm »
Hoping we'll have prepared some engineered microbes that can produce a few terratons of oxygen per year, if the entire rest of the ecosystem collapses.

if that dream doesn’t come true we’re screwed. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 22, 2019, 06:13:26 pm »
I was reminded at the recent lecture on microbes and climate (but not addressed by the lecturer) about di hydrogen sulfide and the negative loop with regards to albedo.  Thanks Dr Lovelock for another discovery.

Using sulfate aerosols to cause a global dimming is one proposed method of geoengineering. If I remember correctly, though, if you want sulfate aerosols (or precursors) to do anything to the climate you need to inject it into the stratosphere, otherwise it'll just come down as acid rain almost immediately.
Mooohn!

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #651 on: June 22, 2019, 06:31:08 pm »

Using sulfate aerosols to cause a global dimming is one proposed method of geoengineering. If I remember correctly, though, if you want sulfate aerosols (or precursors) to do anything to the climate you need to inject it into the stratosphere, otherwise it'll just come down as acid rain almost immediately.
Do you realize how far away are we from getting ready to do this?

I think it will take massive crop failures and widespread food shortages before people realize how bad things are getting and by then it may be too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:34:12 pm by CarbShark »
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 22, 2019, 09:53:02 pm »

The ancient loop of di hydrogen sulfide is totally different than sulphates in the stratosphere. That system is well known and described foot only increasing albedo (mostly coastal) and as a ccn, irrigating those coasts.  It is also a huge contributor to sulfur in soil.

Dumping mass quantities of H2SO4 or SO2 willingly cut the global average temperature a degree or so.  And when we find the unintended consequenses so diabolic and stop, the temperature will rapidly increase to the level it would have risen without the modification.  Of course this will do nothing for oceanic acidification, glacial retreat or changes in oceanic currents (ups and downs included). 

Totally bad idea, IMHO

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 23, 2019, 04:03:02 pm »

The ancient loop of di hydrogen sulfide is totally different than sulphates in the stratosphere. That system is well known and described foot only increasing albedo (mostly coastal) and as a ccn, irrigating those coasts.  It is also a huge contributor to sulfur in soil.

Are you talking about this? Then this might be of interest.

Totally bad idea, IMHO

Probably true.
Mooohn!

Offline Igor SMC

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 23, 2019, 05:54:55 pm »
Still not a glimpse of any reasonable hope in the horizon.

83 Environmental
Rules Being Rolled
Back Under Trump

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/climate/trump-environment-rollbacks.html
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline Igor SMC

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 23, 2019, 07:36:50 pm »
Plants are being extinct 500 times faster than the natural rate. FIVE. HUNDRED. TIMES. FASTER.

World’s largest plant survey reveals alarming extinction rate
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01810-6

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 24, 2019, 04:17:28 am »

Are you talking about this? Then this might be of interest.

Totally bad idea, IMHO

Probably true.

Thanks for CLAW review.  I'll give it a more serious read soon. 

Offline CookieMustard

• Not Enough Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 24, 2019, 05:43:18 pm »
Plants are being extinct 500 times faster than the natural rate. FIVE. HUNDRED. TIMES. FASTER.

It doesn't make this news any better but it seems that most of this extinction is not due to climate change but to human intervention, deforestation, logging, destruction of habitat.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 24, 2019, 05:47:20 pm »
A.k.a. we haven't really even started seeing what climate change can do to accelerate the process. The sixth mass extinction began long before the industrial age.

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 25, 2019, 09:27:17 am »
Here's a new one from the denialist crew. I've seen them pimp this several times over the last few days.

Glacier National Park glaciers are actually growing – officials quietly remove its ‘Gone by 2020’ signs
https://tinyurl.com/y23u25sj

So the NPS has probably been told to take down any signs about climate change by the Trump Administration and this is evidence that science is wrong.

Here's the best science from the article: "Teams from Lysander Spooner University visiting the Park each September have noted that GNP’s most famous glaciers such as the Grinnell Glacier and the Jackson Glacier appear to have been growing – not shrinking-since about 2010. "

Oooooooooooooookay!