Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 61457 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
    • View Profile
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #675 on: July 01, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »
Where would we be without skepticalscience? It's the talkorigins of climate science, but better maintained.
Mooohn!

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 01, 2019, 08:33:25 PM »
I subscribe to the science news magazine (and you all should too!)  and it really seems now that just about every issue has several stories suggestive of current measurable effects of climate change.  some can be small, like subtle migratory pattern changes, but when you have a convergence like this from many fields its strong evidence something is real.
I objectively disavow anyone in the skeptic movement accused of acting illegally or unethically, especially when it comes to violations of personal space or bodily autonomy, or of a prejudiced nature.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • When a file comes along, you must zip it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 02, 2019, 06:38:58 PM »
Article: Heatwave cooks mussels in their shells on California shore
Date: 2019 JUN 28

In all her years working at Bodega Bay, the marine reserve research coordinator Jackie Sones had never seen anything like it: scores of dead mussels on the rocks, their shells gaping and scorched, their meats thoroughly cooked.

A record-breaking June heatwave apparently caused the largest die-off of mussels in at least 15 years at Bodega Head, a small headland on the northern California bay. And Sones received reports from other researchers of similar mass mussel deaths at various beaches across roughly 140 miles (225km) of coastline.

While the people who flocked to the Pacific to enjoy a rare 80F (27C) beach day soaked up the sun, so did the mussel beds – where the rock-bound mollusks could have been experiencing temperatures above 100F at low tide, literally roasting in their shells.

RIP everything that can't survive the new weather.
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline CarbShark

• "I ain't no doctor with degrees" - Think
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 02, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »
Article: Heatwave cooks mussels in their shells on California shore
Date: 2019 JUN 28

In all her years working at Bodega Bay, the marine reserve research coordinator Jackie Sones had never seen anything like it: scores of dead mussels on the rocks, their shells gaping and scorched, their meats thoroughly cooked.

A record-breaking June heatwave apparently caused the largest die-off of mussels in at least 15 years at Bodega Head, a small headland on the northern California bay. And Sones received reports from other researchers of similar mass mussel deaths at various beaches across roughly 140 miles (225km) of coastline.

While the people who flocked to the Pacific to enjoy a rare 80F (27C) beach day soaked up the sun, so did the mussel beds – where the rock-bound mollusks could have been experiencing temperatures above 100F at low tide, literally roasting in their shells.

RIP everything that can't survive the new weather.

I love Bodega Bay, it's where "The Birds" was filmed.
... and Donald Trump is president of the United States

Offline CookieMustard

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 04, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »
The complete paper is behind a pay wall so I haven't been able to look at the details but this article just published in Science seems to be more optimistic about tree planting as a significant mitigator to atmospheric carbon. The abstract says tree planting is "our most effective climate change solution to date."
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/365/6448/76

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 04, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
Trees only sequester carbon as long as they are alive, unless of course we bury them underground in airtight enclosures before they decompose. Or use the wood for something that would otherwise work as long-term sequestration.

Increasing the biomass of trees/forest would be a one-off change. According to their numbers, 200 Giga-tonnes of carbon (not CO2), that's basically twenty years of emission at current rate.

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 04, 2019, 05:27:31 PM »
Trees only sequester carbon as long as they are alive, unless of course we bury them underground in airtight enclosures before they decompose. Or use the wood for something that would otherwise work as long-term sequestration.

Increasing the biomass of trees/forest would be a one-off change. According to their numbers, 200 Giga-tonnes of carbon (not CO2), that's basically twenty years of emission at current rate.

Trees and plants do a great job sequestering carbon when they're buried. They turn to stone or crude oil and are isolated from the environment for hundreds of millions of years, until humans dig them up and burn them.

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 04, 2019, 05:54:11 PM »
Yeah but the point is that we'd have to bury them ourselves, or else they'd decompose on the surface and release all that carbon again.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline CookieMustard

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 04, 2019, 06:38:02 PM »
I think that the main new contribution of the paper is to have identified specific regions where reforestation would be effective. Since three of the main countries with the largest amounts of land that could be reforested are Russia, Brazil, and the United States it doesn't seem likely that any such plan will be implemented (despite it being relatively inexpensive and not requiring any new technology).

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 04, 2019, 06:51:04 PM »
Yeah but the point is that we'd have to bury them ourselves, or else they'd decompose on the surface and release all that carbon again.

Exactly. And that would not be practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 04, 2019, 06:54:25 PM »
The point of planting trees is to increase the total biomass of trees. It's no good just replacing dead trees, or planting trees and then not protecting the forests. We need to plant enough trees for the forests to grow continually, and prevent deforestation.

Growing forests is the same as capturing carbon through other methods and burying it. Except we have all the necessary technology already, it's the policies that are lacking.

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 04, 2019, 09:15:54 PM »
https://apple.news/A23SveexGQRG7byBxGoaZhQ

Last year, there were 484 official heat waves across India, up from 21 in 2010. During that period, more than 5,000 people died. This year's figures show little respite.
In June, Delhi hit temperatures of 48 degrees Celsius (118 Fahrenheit), the highest ever recorded in that month. West of the capital, Churu in Rajasthan nearly broke the country's heat record with a high of 50.6 Celsius (123 Fahrenheit)

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 04, 2019, 11:06:53 PM »
Just think of the CO2 from all those burning fireworks...

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals I auditioned for this job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 05, 2019, 12:03:18 AM »
Then the next step is to stop offering the beef burgers.

Agreed.

Better yet, make it into law. We need to massively reduce meat-eating. As much as possible of the land currently used for grazing should be used for farming.

Max Hamburgers are phasing out meat. They recently introduced plantbeef (which is delicious), and they aim for that within three years, at least every second hamburger of theirs should be green.

Meat is not the issue.

It's 14% of the issue.
Large data of text  or Mediumtext or Longtext

Offline CarbShark

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 05, 2019, 01:33:53 AM »
Probably closer to 3% net. Not much worse than grains and veggies. And people gotta eat.