Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 49965 times)

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #975 on: October 28, 2019, 06:12:13 PM »
The net effect of biofuels on greenhouse gasses is less than fossil fuels.
Probably, but the extent has often been grossly overstated, and even if it were magically carbon neutral, GHGs aren't the only negative environmental impact something can have.

Corn not destined for human consumption is cheaper to grow, but sells for just as much.
If that's true, it's either coincidental or artificial. There's no intrinsic reason why something that's a different price to produce, being used for a different purpose, would sell for the same amount.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #976 on: October 28, 2019, 06:42:24 PM »
The net effect of biofuels on greenhouse gasses is less than fossil fuels.
Probably, but the extent has often been grossly overstated, and even if it were magically carbon neutral, GHGs aren't the only negative environmental impact something can have.

Corn not destined for human consumption is cheaper to grow, but sells for just as much.
If that's true, it's either coincidental or artificial. There's no intrinsic reason why something that's a different price to produce, being used for a different purpose, would sell for the same amount.

No disagreement with any of that. The market prices for biofuels aren’t driven by production costs.

Plus, biofuels also enjoy subsidies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #977 on: October 29, 2019, 05:13:35 AM »
No one gives us any corn, but we are happy with our favourite pasture.  The animals on two legs are very nice to us... they shift our break every day and we always have water in our trough.  And best of all, we are always with our sisters.

"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #978 on: October 29, 2019, 05:14:14 AM »
double post
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 05:17:03 AM by lonely moa »

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #979 on: October 29, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »
Uh oh.

Article: Rising Seas Will Erase More Cities by 2050, New Research Shows
Date: 2019 OCT 29

Rising seas could affect three times more people by 2050 than previously thought, according to new research, threatening to all but erase some of the world’s great coastal cities.

The authors of a paper published Tuesday developed a more accurate way of calculating land elevation based on satellite readings, a standard way of estimating the effects of sea level rise over large areas, and found that the previous numbers were far too optimistic. The new research shows that some 150 million people are now living on land that will be below the high-tide line by midcentury.

Standard elevation measurements using satellites struggle to differentiate the true ground level from the tops of trees or buildings, said Scott A. Kulp, a researcher at Climate Central and one of the paper’s authors. So he and Benjamin Strauss, Climate Central’s chief executive, used artificial intelligence to determine the error rate and correct for it.

A couple screen caps:

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #980 on: October 29, 2019, 09:48:08 PM »
I'm already below sea level, so probably screwed either way.

Maybe this will actually get people worried enough for it to help sway public opinion. }|:op (Yeah, right.)
Mooohn!

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #981 on: October 30, 2019, 03:23:25 PM »
My interpretation is that biofuel is bullshit, and nothing but a PR gambit, for as long we're treating it as one unified category, rather than something that has to be extremely carefully managed if it's going to be truly carbon neutral.

The burning of biofuel produces pollution just the same as burning fossil fuel does. The difference is that it uses up resources, including land and energy, to produce it, instead of it being dug up out from underground.

Where is the sawdust going to come from, what is happening to that sawdust now, and will the use of it mean that something else has to replace what it does today? Will this in any way increase land use or reduce concurrent tree coverage? What kind of energy input is involved in the process of producing the biofuel?

I also have to question why they're talking about cars running on this stuff, because that's not what anyone should be planning for, other than those who want to sell more fuel and don't care about pollution. We can go straight from fossil fuel cars to electric cars, we don't need anything else in between, if we're willing to commit to making changes.

My interpretation is that biofuel is bullshit, and nothing but a PR gambit, for as long we're treating it as one unified category, rather than something that has to be extremely carefully managed if it's going to be truly carbon neutral.

The burning of biofuel produces pollution just the same as burning fossil fuel does. The difference is that it uses up resources, including land and energy, to produce it, instead of it being dug up out from underground.

Where is the sawdust going to come from, what is happening to that sawdust now, and will the use of it mean that something else has to replace what it does today? Will this in any way increase land use or reduce concurrent tree coverage? What kind of energy input is involved in the process of producing the biofuel?

I also have to question why they're talking about cars running on this stuff, because that's not what anyone should be planning for, other than those who want to sell more fuel and don't care about pollution. We can go straight from fossil fuel cars to electric cars, we don't need anything else in between, if we're willing to commit to making changes.

The net effect of biofuels on greenhouse gasses is less than fossil fuels. Growing biofuels remove carbon dioxide from the air.

Also it's more than just PR, there's a strong economic incentive for farmers to raise corn for biofuels. Corn not destined for human consumption is cheaper to grow, but sells for just as much.

Thank you for your inputs. Contradictory, so I don't know what to think yet.

But for the prediction that the general traffic will be (largely) non-fossil fuel within 10 years I find quite likely. And not just in Sweden, but in many places.
"I’m a member of no party. I have no ideology. I’m a rationalist. I do what I can in the international struggle between science and reason and the barbarism, superstition and stupidity that’s all around us." - Christopher Hitchens

« Reply #982 on: November 04, 2019, 12:21:06 AM »
Yeesh

Article: Australia PM vows to outlaw 'apocalyptic' climate activism
Date: 2019 OCT 31

Prime minister Scott Morrison told a peak mining body that his conservative government was seeking ways to legislate against activists engaged in "secondary boycotts", or pressuring firms not to deal with the resources industry.

"We are working to identify serious mechanisms that can successfully outlaw these indulgent and selfish practices that threaten the livelihoods of fellow Australians," Morrison said
at an event in the mineral-rich state of Queensland.

... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #983 on: November 04, 2019, 12:48:53 AM »
That sounds like Soviet-style communism, having the government dictate the conditions of the market.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #984 on: November 04, 2019, 01:01:33 AM »
That sounds like Soviet-style communism, having the government dictate the conditions of the market.

Welcome to Liberal/National Party policy. Though I think they'd prefer you called them Fascists. not communists  ;)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #985 on: November 04, 2019, 06:20:11 AM »

Wut.  No it doesn't.  There were no corporations in the Soviet economy.  It is more like Mussolini style Fascism.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #986 on: November 04, 2019, 05:29:20 PM »
There were no corporations in the Soviet economy.

I'm pretty sure the Soviets had corporations, though they were all owned and administrated by the government.

Offline Gigabyte

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • If you believe, they put a man on the moon
« Reply #987 on: November 04, 2019, 07:01:20 PM »
One of the most striking things about our victorious corporations now is the degree to which they've taken on some of the most noxious and Kafkaesque attributes of the Soviet system -- too often leaving their employees, customers, and other stakeholders just as powerless over their own fates as the unhappy citizens of those old centrally planned economies of the USSR were back in the day.

the_new_totalitarianism_how_american_corporations_have_made_america_like_the_so viet_union_salpart
I don't understand some things, but at least I know I don't know

« Reply #988 on: November 08, 2019, 08:04:03 PM »
On the subject of wildifres:

Quote from: Video Description
There were 19 emergency level fires burning in NSW and southern Queensland on Friday night, with most in the mid-north and north coast areas of NSW. The New South Wales Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said the state was in “uncharted territory” and had never had so many simultaneous fire warnings.

Article: NSW and Queensland bushfires: at least 100 homes destroyed, three people missing
Date: 2019 NOV 8

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #989 on: November 09, 2019, 12:00:53 AM »
The Western sky in Aotearoa is inky orange from those NSW fires.  Probably putting down another black line on the glaciers as well.  Sorry Oz.

personate-rain