Author Topic: Climate Change Catchment Thread  (Read 52781 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Climate Change Catchment Thread
« Reply #1095 on: December 02, 2019, 07:37:40 PM »
Well, that's an article about how California was brought out of drought by one particularly wet "water" year (what other sorts of wetness are there official record-keepings of?).
No other kind of wetness but there are other kinds of years.

The water year is from October through September and last year was very wet. This year it may be as just as wet. Which is a good thing since most of the veggies in the US are grown here and need water.

Can you send some of that wet down to us, please?
You want me to "flood the basement"?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #1096 on: December 02, 2019, 07:49:52 PM »
Well, that's an article about how California was brought out of drought by one particularly wet "water" year (what other sorts of wetness are there official record-keepings of?).

The water year is from October through September and last year was very wet. This year it may be as just as wet. Which is a good thing since most of the veggies in the US are grown here and need water.

I'll send some up  ;) You can have ours. My town had 362mm (14.25 inches) of rain last month (50mm (2") this month already). 4 days in 5 weeks with no rainfall.

It hasn't stopped raining, hailing & snowing here since Thursday and that will continue for at least another week.

None of this is rare, we get nearly 3 metres of rain and 250+ days of rain a year.

Yeah the rest of the country could certainly use that.

So could half of Tassie. The East and Midlands is in drought conditions. I am, literally, 2 hours drive from drought ravaged farmers that get less rain in a year than we get in a month  ???

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-11-29/tasmanian-farmers-tackle-long-dry/11751280

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1097 on: December 02, 2019, 08:00:47 PM »

I met an Australian exchange student last night who seemed happy to leave our wetness behind. Maybe she can take some of ours with her though.
Mooohn!

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #1098 on: December 03, 2019, 01:54:46 PM »
Article: Global Warming Prediction Sounds Alarm for Climate Fight
Date: 2019 DEC 03

The findings by the World Meteorologic Organization suggest an increase of 3 degrees to 5 degrees Celsius (5.4 to 9 degrees Fahrenheit) by the end of the century. It’s another indication of how far off track the planet is in meeting its target to contain global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius since the dawn of the industrial revolution.

Still on track for 'desert hellworld.'
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #1099 on: December 03, 2019, 11:30:50 PM »
Former Quebecois mayor demonstrates no understanding of the value of human life, mental illness, suicide, or the immediacy of the threat of climate change.

Quebec politician says that you should be able to commit suicide if you’re worried about climate change

Quebec politician Luc Ferrandez has suggested that euthanasia could be extended to those who wish not to be a burden on society.

Writing in a Facebook post, the former mayor of Plateau Mont-Royal said, “Could we, for environmental, social and economic reasons, decide that we want to receive help to die so as not to be a burden for our family and society in general?”

When confronted about his comments, Ferrandez stated that he merely intended to “deepen the discussion” on assisted dying, according to Journal Metro. “Is it immoral to ask a question,” he added indignantly.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1100 on: December 04, 2019, 01:09:29 AM »
Personally, I don't see a reason why anyone shouldn't be allowed to choose to kill themselves in the most painless way possible, other than it being used as an excuse to not deal with the problems that lead people into seeking suicide.

People should be allowed to die if they want to. They should also be allowed healthcare, food, and shelters where they can feel safe and comfortable.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #1101 on: December 04, 2019, 08:35:29 AM »
I think humane, legal euthanasia should be an option for people who really don't want to live, but killing yourself over climate change seems like a bad idea.
Mooohn!

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1103 on: December 04, 2019, 11:00:36 PM »
"Single use" plastic bottles can be reused. It's more of an issue that people buy water by bottle, than an issue with the build of the bottles.

If people start buying lots of heavy duty plastic bottles, or just heavy bottles made out of other materials, that could be worse.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:05:34 PM by 2397 »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1104 on: December 04, 2019, 11:27:26 PM »
"Single use" plastic bottles can be reused.

Yeah but they aren't.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #1105 on: December 05, 2019, 12:20:41 AM »
But the point could be made. If everyone, regardless of bottle, brings their bottle with them to refill when needed, then the matter is solved. Even better if people start drinking more water, instead of other drinks that have to be purchased by the bottle, or disposable cup. Or drinks that have been heated during times when you don't really need hot drinks.

If people aren't doing that because they don't have ready access to potable water, then it can't really be solved, and you need to target utilities instead.

Not that the one item in a photo matters much in the broader context of Chris Pratt doing ads for Amazon. How many of those products are made with plastics, and how many of them are excessively wasteful? He's even advertising golf balls. The balls themselves are probably made with plastics, but the land use is the worst side of it, and promoting golfing isn't any better than promoting the sale of bottled water. Which I'm not sure if he is/was doing, or if he has now taken that off his page.

If I see a bottle of water at a gym, I'd expect that it was refilled on site. Although that's based entirely on my experience with gyms in Norway, where water quality is very rarely an issue.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:51:16 AM by 2397 »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #1106 on: December 05, 2019, 01:06:44 AM »
We have bottle refilling stations all over the city. I have never seen anyone use one.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

« Reply #1107 on: December 05, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
More from Sydney, courtesy of Twitter:

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA:

"Increased wildfire frequency and severity."  Check!
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

« Reply #1108 on: December 05, 2019, 07:31:02 PM »
(multi-posting to mitigate post/page length)

Jeeeeese:

https://twitter.com/irisherself/status/1202658920927391744

edit:

Isn't embedding.  It's a rain of dead, charred leaves.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:33:12 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
  • Go Tiges
« Reply #1109 on: December 05, 2019, 07:33:42 PM »

personate-rain