Author Topic: What do you think about the ISF (former JREF forum)?  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
What do you think about the ISF (former JREF forum)?
« on: January 07, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »
Apart from tis one, there is another big English-language skeptic forum that I think you have heard of, the former JREF forum, now the ISF forum.

What do you think about that forum? What are your experiences, if any, with it?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: What do you think about the ISF (former JREF forum)?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 02:11:14 PM »
This one is far more homey. . . .The moderators are prickly, insulting the reputation of somebody not on the board fine but you cannot call a poster dishonest, they consider things as off topic when they really are not, etc. I think I have been warned once on this board in the years I have been there but multiple times there. I am not banned there but I don't tend to post there.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 02:18:19 PM »
For a skeptical forum, there seems to be a lot religious and political conspiracy theorists there. Am I misjudging them?

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »
For a skeptical forum, there seems to be a lot religious and political conspiracy theorists there. Am I misjudging them?

Probably not. . . .
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 07:42:54 AM »
There have been times when I wanted a breakdown on a particular type of woo and that was the only place with detailed analysis beyond the usual "Yeah. Probably not true". I really appreciate when someone takes the time to explain why a thing is or is not correct in detail as opposed to hand waving (even when the hand wave is correct).
Other than that though, I never found myself moved to join or participate in their discussions and didnt think much of the discourse in general (I thought their american gun thread was pretty poor tbh while I think the one here is probably the best I have ever seen in terms of actual discussion).
Its not for me, which probably means many people would find it more to their liking.
They do seem to have less of the lighthearted community stuff I enjoy here.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 08:11:42 AM »
Moderation seems to be based on popularity there.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 01:22:38 AM »
I refer you to what I said in the earlier thread, in 2012. The forum hasn't changed substantially since then.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
This one is far more homey. . . .The moderators are prickly, insulting the reputation of somebody not on the board fine but you cannot call a poster dishonest, they consider things as off topic when they really are not, etc. I think I have been warned once on this board in the years I have been there but multiple times there. I am not banned there but I don't tend to post there.

An interest in James Randi and Penn and Teller brought me to the JREF forum long before I started posting on the SGU forum.

However, after "finding" the SGU Forum and interacting with the folks here, I quickly abandoned JREF.  They seemed to be quite an angry group in comparison.
Well.  There it is.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »

An interest in James Randi and Penn and Teller brought me to the JREF forum long before I started posting on the SGU forum.

However, after "finding" the SGU Forum and interacting with the folks here, I quickly abandoned JREF.  They seemed to be quite an angry group in comparison.
F@#$@$ you!

I joined years ago and lurked for a few weeks, just didn't catch me the way this place did. 

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 11:16:31 AM »
So, I tried to join again.  I'm pretty sure when I did the last time I used an email that no longer exists and have no way to log in to the old account. 

Any rate, I tried, they rejected me with a note that said, try again or contact us via email and ask why.  I tried again, they rejected me.  I sent an email and got an undelivered notice with the message that the inbox was full.. 

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
This is really the only skeptics forum I frequent. Im afraid of being steamrolled elsewhere because I can be a bit of an ignorant bore.

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »
I go there and read some of the threads - I used to post quite a bit.  Now I just keep track of a few threads, and I rarely post.  It's okay, but I think it's lost something since it's no longer affiliated with JREF.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 11:37:53 AM »
This forum is smaller and therefore better suited to what I want.  I can get a sense for who people are.  Granted sometime they change their forum handles and I get really confused (you know who you are... even if I don't anymore), but we have some people who are active in spurts (SQ the enigma or NeutralMilk for example), and yet have been here long enough that you know who they are when they grace us with their presence.  Then there are somewhere around 30 posters who are here reliably pretty much every week in some form, each with their own posting styles, personalities, and interests.  It's small enough that I feel like reputation matters a bit.  You have to actually be concerned that what you say in one thread will be remembered and held against you if you contradict yourself elsewhere.  There's a size which just makes even frequent posters fairly anonymous or reduces all people to caricatures or stereotypes because you can't keep them straight.  I just got the sense that the community was too big to really have the feel of a community that I like.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »
This forum is smaller and therefore better suited to what I want.  I can get a sense for who people are.  Granted sometime they change their forum handles and I get really confused (you know who you are... even if I don't anymore), but we have some people who are active in spurts (SQ the enigma or NeutralMilk for example), and yet have been here long enough that you know who they are when they grace us with their presence.  Then there are somewhere around 30 posters who are here reliably pretty much every week in some form, each with their own posting styles, personalities, and interests.  It's small enough that I feel like reputation matters a bit.  You have to actually be concerned that what you say in one thread will be remembered and held against you if you contradict yourself elsewhere.  There's a size which just makes even frequent posters fairly anonymous or reduces all people to caricatures or stereotypes because you can't keep them straight.  I just got the sense that the community was too big to really have the feel of a community that I like.

You described it really well. This forum feels more like living in a small town, where people know each other better, rather than living in the big Jref city.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:08:08 PM by Gerbig »

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »
Apart from tis one, there is another big English-language skeptic forum that I think you have heard of, the former JREF forum, now the ISF forum.

What do you think about that forum? What are your experiences, if any, with it?

It's a shithole, full of people who range from just JAQing off to out and out racists, as opposed to our one or two concern trolls who never have an opinion of their own to offer that we get here.  You know.  Like you.

There is also a bunch of economic woo there, too.  So many Austrian Mises.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:00:39 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.