Author Topic: Chromecast and Amazon Video  (Read 1168 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Chromecast and Amazon Video
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 07:19:27 PM »
I've never had any problems with comcast throttling netflix, they seem to have a partnership and now you can get Netflix from the comcast box by going into apps. It might be an X1 thing but so far has worked great and like the comcast/netflix interface better than the netflix interface on my blue ray player.

They have a "partnership" because they extorted one out of them by causing their service to deteriorate to unusable levels.  Netflix has been paying they since Feb 2014.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 07:39:11 PM »
I've never had any problems with comcast throttling netflix, they seem to have a partnership and now you can get Netflix from the comcast box by going into apps. It might be an X1 thing but so far has worked great and like the comcast/netflix interface better than the netflix interface on my blue ray player.

They have a "partnership" because they extorted one out of them by causing their service to deteriorate to unusable levels.  Netflix has been paying they since Feb 2014.

Not sure about that, do you have a link? I googled and it looks like they just started in 11/16 being available on the Comcast box. I've used comcast at multiple address for a very long time and netflix since 07 and never had a problem streaming. They might have some shady deals that bully netflix, but have never had degraded service from either. We just started using netflix on the comcast box a few weeks ago. I know a lot of people hate comcast but have never had a problem. We've compared fios in our are and get more channels, better bandwith for less. This seems to vary by location.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
I quit NetFlix's streaming service (still get discs from them) a year or more ago (don't remember when) because their throughput got so slow that I couldn't watch anything. Literally, it would stop every 30 seconds and re-buffer for at least that long.

I have two ways to watch Amazon Prime streaming:

Through the BluRay player & TV in front of the treadmill. It takes a minute or so to load and start, but the quality is excellent. Excellent resolution and never choppy.

On the iPad through the Amazon Video app. Videos start immediately but the resolution is crappy for the first minute or three, then clears up and is excellent. As above, never choppy.

Comcast has the absolute worst customer service but they tend to have the fastest speeds (at least around here until fiber takes over) Im surprised about the poor netflix quality and have to wonder if you have some other issues with your streaming.  Have you ever run a speed test?

http://www.speedtest.net/

Im getting 89.52 down and 11.95 up.  I only pay for 50 down and 10 up

using poor wifi could cost you speed as will poor wiring

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »
Google it if you're interested.  It was widely reported, and I managed to find details pretty easily earlier.  But I don't feel any need to prove anything to you.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 09:14:18 AM »
I quit NetFlix's streaming service (still get discs from them) a year or more ago (don't remember when) because their throughput got so slow that I couldn't watch anything. Literally, it would stop every 30 seconds and re-buffer for at least that long.

I have two ways to watch Amazon Prime streaming:

Through the BluRay player & TV in front of the treadmill. It takes a minute or so to load and start, but the quality is excellent. Excellent resolution and never choppy.

On the iPad through the Amazon Video app. Videos start immediately but the resolution is crappy for the first minute or three, then clears up and is excellent. As above, never choppy.

Comcast has the absolute worst customer service but they tend to have the fastest speeds (at least around here until fiber takes over) Im surprised about the poor netflix quality and have to wonder if you have some other issues with your streaming.  Have you ever run a speed test?

http://www.speedtest.net/

Im getting 89.52 down and 11.95 up.  I only pay for 50 down and 10 up

using poor wifi could cost you speed as will poor wiring

I did numerous speed tests. I always had blazingly fast download speeds and very good upload speeds. I was not using WiFi: I was connected to my cable box by Ethernet. At the same time that NetFlix was unwatchable, Amazon Video was perfect. I cannot imagine any problem at my end that would affect NetFlix but not Amazon Video. Both were coming in on the same cable internet line, through the same cable internet box, the same Ethernet cable to my BluRay player.

As for Comcast customer service, where I live (maybe it varies by location) Comcast has the best customer service of any business I've dealt with. Whenever I've had an issue, I get prompt attention from a tech who speaks unaccented English and clearly understands the system. When the issue is at my end they talk me through the steps, are patient while my computer reboots if that's needed. When the issue is at their end they give me an estimated repair time and they're always well ahead of it. They never tell me to do irrelevant things like clearing all my cookies or running questionable programs to "fix" my computer. They're never reading from a rote list of crap as happens with some companies where you're talking to someone in India or China who knows less than you do and does more damage than good. And with Comcast I never have to spend 15 minutes talking to someone who clearly knows nothing before they'll transfer me to someone who actually does know about the subject, as I did with Amazon yesterday when my Kindle Paperwhite died.

Except for the issue of throttling NetFlix (which may be a possibility, but I do not know if that's what was happening, since it might have been an issue with NetFlix failing to keep up with sufficient bandwidth for the customer load at the server center serving in my area) my experience with Comcast has been nothing but excellent. Even on the measure of reliability, outages are rare and usually don't last long.

FWIW, I ran a speed test from Ookla just now. I got 58.85 Mbps download and 6.42 Mbps upload. I may never get the 89 Mbps download you get, but I get more than enough for the best quality of any streaming service I'm aware of.

I'd probably give NetFlix another chance if I actually wanted to watch anything they have that Amazon doesn't. Frankly, I'd rather read a book. Yesterday I watched half an hour of a movie. It was a fun movie, and I'll finish it today or tomorrow, but after half an hour I got tired of watching and turned it off so I could read my book instead.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
Google it if you're interested.  It was widely reported, and I managed to find details pretty easily earlier.  But I don't feel any need to prove anything to you.

You made them claims, you should be able to back them up, I'm not going to do it for you.

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »
Not to contradict you because you know your tv better than I do, but that link says smart enabled and shows a Netflix and YouTube icon.

I just saw those icons and had to look into it.  It turns out that it is not so simple.  People in the Q&A section on Best Buy's web site give contradictory answers.  The bottom line is that it is considered a "smart" TV because you can use your phone and the built-in chromecast to stream Netflix, YouTube, and whatever else chromecast does.  Without using the built-in chromecast, it has no capability to access the internet, view video, install apps, or anything else like that.

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »
when you use the chromecast to mirror amazon video, it sends the video from your pc back to your tv.  The quality depends on your internet speed, your internal network speed, and the specs of the pc you are using.

one thing you can try is to use the chromecast extension and reduce the casting quality

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/129736-google-chromecast-tips-17-ways-to-enhance-your-streaming-experience

Here's the money quote from that site:
Adjust streaming quality

Did you know there's a secret settings menu for Chromecast? You must first download the Google Cast extension for the Chrome browser. Once it's installed, click on the Cast icon in your browser bar and select Options. A page will open with a few settings you can adjust such as tab casting quality. Simply select from Standard (480p), High (720p), or Extreme (720p high bitrate). Extreme is for people with newer computers and speedy Wi-Fi.

Similarly, you can also adjust the streaming quality for anything you want to cast. While casting, go to the Cast icon in your browser bar and select the gear icon in the bottom left-hand corner. You will again see options for Standard (480p), High (720p), or Extreme (720p high bitrate).

The first paragraph doesn't work.  When I click on the Cast icon in my Chrome browser after having installed the Google Cast extension, Settings is not an options.  Many web sites recommend this, but it doesn't work for me.  I made sure I have the latest version of Chrome and of the Google Cast extension.

I can set the option to Standard per the instructions in the second paragraph, but the video quality doesn't seem to change when I'm watching Amazon, and the choppiness doesn't change either.  I will look in more detail when I get home tonight to make sure I'm not lying.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »
when you use the chromecast to mirror amazon video, it sends the video from your pc back to your tv.  The quality depends on your internet speed, your internal network speed, and the specs of the pc you are using.

one thing you can try is to use the chromecast extension and reduce the casting quality

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/129736-google-chromecast-tips-17-ways-to-enhance-your-streaming-experience

Here's the money quote from that site:
Adjust streaming quality

Did you know there's a secret settings menu for Chromecast? You must first download the Google Cast extension for the Chrome browser. Once it's installed, click on the Cast icon in your browser bar and select Options. A page will open with a few settings you can adjust such as tab casting quality. Simply select from Standard (480p), High (720p), or Extreme (720p high bitrate). Extreme is for people with newer computers and speedy Wi-Fi.

Similarly, you can also adjust the streaming quality for anything you want to cast. While casting, go to the Cast icon in your browser bar and select the gear icon in the bottom left-hand corner. You will again see options for Standard (480p), High (720p), or Extreme (720p high bitrate).

The first paragraph doesn't work.  When I click on the Cast icon in my Chrome browser after having installed the Google Cast extension, Settings is not an options.  Many web sites recommend this, but it doesn't work for me.  I made sure I have the latest version of Chrome and of the Google Cast extension.

I can set the option to Standard per the instructions in the second paragraph, but the video quality doesn't seem to change when I'm watching Amazon, and the choppiness doesn't change either.  I will look in more detail when I get home tonight to make sure I'm not lying.
Just double checked and it seems that Google removed the ability to change this setting in a recent update, which sucks.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

personate-rain