Author Topic: Coolness. . . .Seagate is replacing my portable hardrdive with a brand new one  (Read 1897 times)

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
Did you try plugging it back into your desktop to see if the files come back?

Nope, they did not come back.

Try copying them from your desktop again, unplugging the drive, plugging it back into your desktop, and seeing if the files are there or missing.  That will eliminate your laptop as a source of the problem at least.

This is what has happened
1. Move files from desktop to portable. Test and they show up. Plug into laptop and only one of the files, a short video, showed up.
2. Move files again from desktop to portable. This time, the files do show up but there is something wrong. They will not play as if there is something wrong. Run the windows drive repair program. Finds errors and repairs.
3. Move files again from desktop to portable but I used a USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0 port. This time, the file were there and all playable.
What is also strange is that I have no had this issue with the older 2 TB Western Digital portable.
I am wondering if the issue might be in the drive  tables.

It sounds like a problem with the USB 3.0 port.  I just bought new external drives to replace my girlfriends', (one girlfriend, two drives) which she thought were going bad.  Turns out it was her USB 3.0 port, not the drives.
I'm not going to use your pronouns.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
It sounds like a problem with the USB 3.0 port.  I just bought new external drives to replace my girlfriends', (one girlfriend, two drives) which she thought were going bad.  Turns out it was her USB 3.0 port, not the drives.

If I use the 2.0 port and not have any issues, might be the explanation. . . .Going to have to see though.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Have you tried it with other computers?  Is it only when you plug it into your laptop that you have the issue?

I have three computers I use semi-regularly
1. Desktop
2. Laptop
3. TV Server

What I usually do is copy files to the portable and then plug it into my laptop in the wee hours at work. When you are at work, you don't get that many options.

Well, the first thing I'd do is find another computer to plug the HDD into and see whether the files 'disappear.' 
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Have you tried it with other computers?  Is it only when you plug it into your laptop that you have the issue?

I have three computers I use semi-regularly
1. Desktop
2. Laptop
3. TV Server

What I usually do is copy files to the portable and then plug it into my laptop in the wee hours at work. When you are at work, you don't get that many options.

Well, the first thing I'd do is find another computer to plug the HDD into and see whether the files 'disappear.'

I renamed a number of video files to be able to better organize them.
I also made a copy of a new blu ray I just bought.
Copy them to the external via the USB 2.0 port
As soon as copied, I looked at them on the TV server computer and laptop.
They were all there.

It does not happen "on command" so going to have to wait and see. If it is something weird with the 3.0 port, probably see if I don't have any issues after a few weeks, maybe a couple of months.

The old Samsung did definitely fail  its drive test and have to wonder why the WD 2 TB never had any issues with the USB 3.0 port. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I have been using the USB 2.0 ports instead of the USB 3.0 ports and at least so far I have no had any issues.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
Seagate, I believe, generally has the worst reputation. Again, anecdotally, my experience with Seagates has been poor whereas Western Digital has been great for me.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Seagate, I believe, generally has the worst reputation. Again, anecdotally, my experience with Seagates has been poor whereas Western Digital has been great for me.

I have internal Seagate drives which have been perfectly good for me.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Lucas_r

• Brand New
My impressive anecdote about seagate drives, i still have 2 12 year old 320gb seagates running in my computer that have been running nearly constantly. (Raid one for a temp storage/download drive.) Great company so far, almost all of my storage has come from them and i've never had a drive failure.

personate-rain