Author Topic: Episode #601  (Read 4023 times)

Offline VolkerK

• Brand New
Re: Episode #601
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
Seems like the file is actually missing at this point.
Looks like. The 404 also pops up when trying to download the episode from the webpage and via podkicker.
I wondered what the ads are anyway  ;D

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »
So I just listened to the "regular" episode and I am 99% sure I didn't hear any ads.

Is it possible they threw the premium version on the regular feed and never uploaded anything to the premium feed?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Offline Gold

• Citizen
  • Off to a Start
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »
What I'm curious about is why we've not heard anything from Steve or the Rogues about this. I'm infrequently on forums but I thought they all hung out here fairly regularly.
(include witty truism here)

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 02:14:57 PM »
What I'm curious about is why we've not heard anything from Steve or the Rogues about this. I'm infrequently on forums but I thought they all hung out here fairly regularly.

They used to, but not so much for the past couple of years.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 02:30:44 PM »
They read their email, but we can't expect them to see posts here.

So I just listened to the "regular" episode and I am 99% sure I didn't hear any ads.

Is it possible they threw the premium version on the regular feed and never uploaded anything to the premium feed?

Yeah, I figured this would be a chance to see what the ads were like, but no ads on this one.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Gold

• Citizen
  • Off to a Start
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 03:07:26 PM »
They read their email, but we can't expect them to see posts here.

Given it'd been so long since feed was updated I sent them mail through the contact form yesterday. I suspect I'm not the only one too.

Offline Infodiva

• Brand New
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 08:50:10 PM »
I'm using Downcast and this episode still won't download. I get a file not found error. Retrying since Saturday with no change.
Being nice to the librarian means the difference between the right answer and the wrong one.

Offline smudge

• Off to a Start
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 04:40:23 AM »
I hope those with download problems persevere as this was terrific show, not one you want to miss.

Excellent piece from Jay on internet advertising. Great advice about reporting woo based nonsense advertised on sites that would (or ought to) object if they were made aware of it.

The Dave Gorski interview was great - he's always entertaining and informative when he's on the show, love his enthusiasm and energy. I hope he appears more often.

AND I got science or fiction right! That doesn't happen often...:-)

Edit- typo.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:02:53 AM by smudge »

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
I presume anyone who has been trying to download the premium version can find the regular version. Since it has no ads, I'm not sure there's any difference.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Gold

• Citizen
  • Off to a Start
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 12:14:50 PM »
I presume anyone who has been trying to download the premium version can find the regular version. Since it has no ads, I'm not sure there's any difference.
I have so many podcasts that I follow that I'm never short on something to listen to. I have added the regular feed now too and set the podcatcher to not download any episodes so it's available to manually grab them in the future.

Does anyone here also use facebook? Any discussion of it there?

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »
I have so many podcasts that I follow that I'm never short on something to listen to. I have added the regular feed now too and set the podcatcher to not download any episodes so it's available to manually grab them in the future.

Does anyone here also use facebook? Any discussion of it there?

I posted a comment to the episode announcement but have seen no reply.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »
Thanks especially to Jay for the great recommendation about asking advertisers to avoid fake news sources. It's a fantastic idea, and an excellent example of how skeptics can take direct action.

On the other side of the coin, how about otherwise respectable (or should be) media that take advertising from cranks? The public radio station here in Athens, GA takes advertising from "Dr." Martha Allen http://www.drmarthaallen.com/, a naturopath. She touts homeopathy, TCM/acupuncture, "Chinese and Western herbal medicine", etc. to treat all sorts of things including diabetes, colds/flu, bronchitis, depression, asthma, menopause, etc.

You would think a university radio station would be a bit more intellectually responsible.

As for SGU, I cringe at the ads for Blue Apron. I tried it out once and the package was about 30 pounds containing less than five pounds of anything actually edible. Most of it was these two humungous "ice" blocks. I put that in quotes because one of them split open and it was some kind of gnarly goo. And all the food was wrapped in one, two, or even three bags.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:29:54 PM by gebobs »

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 07:53:27 PM »
As for SGU, I cringe at the ads for Blue Apron. I tried it out once and the package was about 30 pounds containing less than five pounds of anything actually edible. Most of it was these two humungous "ice" blocks. I put that in quotes because one of them split open and it was some kind of gnarly goo. And all the food was wrapped in one, two, or even three bags.

Were the meals any good? I've thought of trying them out because they advertise your first three meals free. But I'm skeptical: Their claim is they send you food and instructions. But I have a cookbook and access to a grocery store. So, plenty of variety of food, and lots of instructions. They claim to save you money. Presumably that's compared to eating at a good restaurant. But no instructions are going to make me as good a cook as the chef in a good restaurant. And if I have to do the work, then the cost comparison is not to the good restaurant, whose quality I cannot match even with the best instructions, but rather to a meal I prepare from store-bought ingredients and a cookbook, or my own recipes.

I think I've just talked myself out of trying them. ;D

Now, if they sent someone over to cook in my house, I'd give that a try. I once met a woman whose profession was vegan chef. Her business was going to people's houses to cook for them. I'd hire her sometimes, but she doesn't live in my city.

But I'm still curious: Did you enjoy the meals from them?
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 10:42:42 PM »

Were the meals any good? I've thought of trying them out because they advertise your first three meals free. But I'm skeptical: Their claim is they send you food and instructions. But I have a cookbook and access to a grocery store. So, plenty of variety of food, and lots of instructions. They claim to save you money. Presumably that's compared to eating at a good restaurant. But no instructions are going to make me as good a cook as the chef in a good restaurant. And if I have to do the work, then the cost comparison is not to the good restaurant, whose quality I cannot match even with the best instructions, but rather to a meal I prepare from store-bought ingredients and a cookbook, or my own recipes.

I think I've just talked myself out of trying them. ;D

Now, if they sent someone over to cook in my house, I'd give that a try. I once met a woman whose profession was vegan chef. Her business was going to people's houses to cook for them. I'd hire her sometimes, but she doesn't live in my city.

But I'm still curious: Did you enjoy the meals from them?

Part of the cost is the seconds you spend preparing for and then preparing the meal. Having everything you need delivered in one neat package takes much less time than making a meal plan (however rudimentary) driving to the grocery, etc..

Before the Day of the Short Knives I went to a professional su-kitchen (Supperworks) each month to assemble half a dozen meals. They did all the chopping and such. I just had to put it all together into foil and/or ziplocks and bring it home. It did save us time, and at the wages we make - and the days I have remaining - it was more than worth it.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »
Still wondering if the food was good. :)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain