Author Topic: Episode #602  (Read 3915 times)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
Re: Episode #602
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 06:52:02 PM »
I hope that the Rogues were patronising when discussing e waste; otherwise, they are fairly ignorant about recycling in general.

I'm not clear about your meaning when you say patronizing, feel free to explain. But regarding that segment what came to mind is that I have a friend in China and one in Ethiopia and both have nicer phones than the phone I have here in the USA. Both are poor, the idea of gifting the poor an undesirable phone so someone from the first world can palliate their guilt over having tired of it too soon seems kind of naive. Not that opportunities to hand-me-down don't exist, but in that case why not buy some needy person the latest instead of pushing onto them what you yourself can no longer stand.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 10:38:17 PM »
I hope that the Rogues were patronising when discussing e waste; otherwise, they are fairly ignorant about recycling in general.

I'm not clear about your meaning when you say patronizing, feel free to explain. But regarding that segment what came to mind is that I have a friend in China and one in Ethiopia and both have nicer phones than the phone I have here in the USA. Both are poor, the idea of gifting the poor an undesirable phone so someone from the first world can palliate their guilt over having tired of it too soon seems kind of naive. Not that opportunities to hand-me-down don't exist, but in that case why not buy some needy person the latest instead of pushing onto them what you yourself can no longer stand.

I certainly don't need to be told the (sub) basics of reducing, repairing, recycling and reuse.  I've been doing these things for the last fifty years. 
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Offline bushcasa

• Brand New
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 02:46:50 AM »
So it isn't just for me, that's a relief.

I'm getting error 404 for both ad-free episodes #601 and #602.

Is there anyway to get their attention about this issue, I've sent and notice via the contact form last week but didn't get any answer back.

Me too!  Please fix Steve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 05:04:44 AM »
On recycling computers (not just the raw materials), the software support seems to be more of an issue than how much wear and tear there is on the hardware. Either updates are dropped entirely (no security patches), or the new updates are not optimized for the hardware and mainly serve to make the system run slower, without giving you the option to fully disable whatever it is that is taxing the hardware to allow going back to possibly less functionality but a better response time.

Maybe a policy based in environmentalism would have to include recognizing which companies and platforms are better at supporting their hardware for longer, or which companies that don't make it difficult for the community to support it.

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 05:31:46 AM »
I hope I have the right episode. Jay was talking about seeing ultra violet, and a memory popped into mind. 30 odd years ago I spent what seemed like the entire day at the pool with siblings.  By the end off the day my eyes were so sore and all white objects seemed to have a almost flourecent glow.  Which raises the question (to me) can chlorine affect your eyes enough to partially allow UV through?
 It was bizzare and painful.

Damo
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 09:38:10 AM »
... why not buy some needy person the latest instead of pushing onto them what you yourself can no longer stand.

Because the topic was keeping electronics in use instead of sending them to the landfill or to a questionable recycler. The topic was not about helping people in the third world. I suspect there are much better ways of helping poor people than buying them a phone.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
... why not buy some needy person the latest instead of pushing onto them what you yourself can no longer stand.

Because the topic was keeping electronics in use instead of sending them to the landfill or to a questionable recycler. The topic was not about helping people in the third world. I suspect there are much better ways of helping poor people than buying them a phone.

Aren't you then forcing the dilemma you're not dealing with onto the poor? Can the poor send your discard back to you if they quickly tire of it, too? They likely don't have better access to appropriate disposal than you do. Did you catch the sarcasm about buying someone a new phone? I question the magnanimity of this pass your trash forward gesture.

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 11:26:55 AM »
Aren't you then forcing the dilemma you're not dealing with onto the poor? Can the poor send your discard back to you if they quickly tire of it, too? They likely don't have better access to appropriate disposal than you do. Did you catch the sarcasm about buying someone a new phone? I question the magnanimity of this pass your trash forward gesture.

Extending the lifespan of something is a way of reducing trash. If someone replaces and throws away 1 phone a year, then in 10 years they'll have thrown away 10 phones. If they keep the phone for 10 years they'll throw away 1 phone in 10 years.

Passing it on to someone else means another phone doesn't have to be produced for them to have one, and that's less trash over time. Of course if it's small extension, and they have significantly worse trash disposal/means of reclaiming the materials, it might not be beneficial. And we have to account for things like how far the items have to be transported in total.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 11:34:03 AM by 2397 »

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »

Extending the lifespan of something is a way of reducing trash. If someone replaces and throws away 1 phone a year, then in 10 years they'll have thrown away 10 phones. If they keep the phone for 10 years they'll throw away 1 phone in 10 years.

Passing it on to someone else means another phone doesn't have to be produced for them to have one, and that's less trash over time.

Does this assume that the reason you don't want it won't be apparent to the recipient? Phones are perceived as conferring status and to have one that has fallen out of favor whether first world or third comes with a cost. Why not set an example and use yours for 10 years yourself? If someone else desires your old electronics then extending the lifespan this way is win win.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:08:16 PM by DevoutCatalyst »

Offline Infodiva

• Brand New
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 12:01:10 PM »
Second week in a row that the premium podcast won't download in Downcast app. Does anyone from the crew read these? Looks like many others are also having this issue.
Being nice to the librarian means the difference between the right answer and the wrong one.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »
Second week in a row that the premium podcast won't download in Downcast app. Does anyone from the crew read these? Looks like many others are also having this issue.
Had the same problem this week. By listening to the ad supported version I did get to hear the crew gushing about products they're paid to gush about.

Offline Cove

• Brand New
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 01:26:26 PM »
So it isn't just for me, that's a relief.

I'm getting error 404 for both ad-free episodes #601 and #602.

Is there anyway to get their attention about this issue, I've sent and notice via the contact form last week but didn't get any answer back.

I tried sending emails about it to SGU's info@... address, and a day later, got told that delivery of my email was incomplete, but the system would keep trying. As far as I know, those emails never made their way through to the other side.

Something is really wrong.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
I could listen to Randi talk about nothing in particular about as often as you could arrange it.  Thanks!
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 01:49:58 PM »
I hope I have the right episode. Jay was talking about seeing ultra violet, and a memory popped into mind. 30 odd years ago I spent what seemed like the entire day at the pool with siblings.  By the end off the day my eyes were so sore and all white objects seemed to have a almost flourecent glow.  Which raises the question (to me) can chlorine affect your eyes enough to partially allow UV through?
 It was bizzare and painful.

Damo

IIRC colour blind monkeys have been rendered colour-sighted by injection of stem cells into their retinas. In principle there's no reason that we couldn't inject stem cells to generate retinal cells that are sensitive to IR and UV into any given human, and have that person develop "supervision" over the course of a few months.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 01:52:20 PM »
Interview with James Randi; Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Dorothy Andersen; News Items: E-Waste, IBM Predicts Future Tech, Returning to the Moon, Two Trillion Galaxies; Who’s That Noisy; Science or Fiction

Two Trillion Galaxies

Does this alter the ratio of matter to dark matter to dark energy?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain
personate-rain