Author Topic: Post Corny Ass Songs You Like Here  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Post Corny Ass Songs You Like Here
« on: January 25, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »
Henry Rollins I think once said that there are no such things as guilty pleasures. WELL BULLSHIT MISTER ROLLINS I say. With music especially, I'm sorry, but there are songs and groups that you know in your head to be kind of pants (sorry to PANTS!) but who are nevertheless super hooky or singalongable or otherwise have that... something that makes you say "oh man, I have to listen to this band RIGHT NOW".

I will say that I think there ought to be a distinction made between things that are recorded for giggles and with the direct attempt to be ironic and uber-cool. I will grant you that the very first song on my little list here almost breaks that but it's so corny in its own right that I think it still passes. I'm not really looking for the musical version of Sharknado here, I'd prefer to see actual, good faith attempts at music that are kind of awful but singable: the sorts of songs you'd turn off immediately once they come on, but if you can't get to the media player of your choice in time you will soon sing along with.

A couple of mine:

Save Ferris: Come On Eileen

Yep, right from the middle of the ska era. Yep, I totally owned this album. And yep, I sure as hell listened to it so much that I can probably sing along with the entire thing even now.

Black Hole Sun... by Steve and Eydie?

Off the Lounge A Palooza album. Soooooo corny, it comes all the way back around the corny continuum and back into cool and then continues back along into corny once again. "Neath the black the sky looks DEAD".

Mel Torme: The Goodbye Look

Look. Mel is probably my favorite jazz singer, like, ever. Sinatra is bigger and brassier and just generally filled with more "cool", it's true (and also he gets extra points for the "hey guys, if I say "let's fly" instead of "let's sex" then even old people will listen to my music), but Mel is just so... unintentionally silly so much of the time you can't help but love the guy. This song is a cover of a Steely Dan song, backed by a big band, and features lots and lots of scatting. Yes, it is all of those things and it is awesome.

I will spare you all Lou Bega (even though, truth be told, I kind of love swing and the swing revival).
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
Re: Post Corny Ass Songs You Like Here
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »
Mine would be everything by Harry Belafonte.

Also this one:

It's a love song. With quirky poetic lyrics that transcend cheese. "Avec pas d'casque" (With no helmet) is the band's name. The title translates to "Love goes through clothing".
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »
Yeah, I feel like Harry Belafonte or for that matter Barry Manilow deserves automatic inclusion in any list like this.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 01:57:06 PM »
In that video, Is that Dexy and his Midnite Runners in that tow truck that comes to rescue Save Ferris?

Every time I hear the name Save Ferris I think of this song:

I happen to have the Loungeapalooza album that the Black Hole Sun cover comes from, and it is great.  If you can get your hands on it, do so.  There is an awesome cover of Girl from Ipanema by Picatatza 5; Ben Folds doing a lounged up version of She Don't Use Jelly; A great cover of 10cc's I'm not in Love; Glen Campell & Michelle Shocked doing Wichita Lineman fer gods sakes.  And my very fave from that album:

Just 'cause I love his voice.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 02:12:00 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 05:26:53 PM »
Walking on Broken Glass was the basis for one of my closest friendships in college.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
The name of the damn band is Pizzicato Five, sir. After the Italian word for "pluck the string like you slappin' the bass". And then the number five. Also they are as awesome as you would think a 90s loungey Japanese pop band would be.

Also, this is less "corny ass" and more "weird" but IT IS MY THREAD DAMMIT also it is kind of corny

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 10:47:20 PM »
In that video, Is that Dexy and his Midnite Runners in that tow truck that comes to rescue Save Ferris?

It does look like Kevin Rowland. Google is not my friend on whether it is or not.
But it is definitely implied that it is, "Dexy's Auto Wrecking and Repair" is on the tow truck.

Save Ferris' version is good, but it's no "Dexy's Midnight Runners"  ;) with their sexy overalls.  ;D

Ok my corny ass song that I love is "Take on me" by A-Ha
Great song. Great film clip.

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 10:55:26 PM »
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 12:46:56 AM »
Awww, no, Birthday?! I love The Sugarcubes. I had a band that covered that song once playing before The Nuge in his band Damn Yankees at a county fair! No lie. The 90s were weird...

Anyway. I heard a million teenage voices at Hot Topics cry out at once...

It's worth it for the deplorable art direction, bad hair, and guitarist wearing headphones for no discernible reason...
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 02:03:32 AM »
Henry Rollins I think once said that there are no such things as guilty pleasures. WELL BULLSHIT MISTER ROLLINS I say. With music especially, I'm sorry, but there are songs and groups that you know in your head to be kind of pants (sorry to PANTS!) but who are nevertheless super hooky or singalongable or otherwise have that... something that makes you say "oh man, I have to listen to this band RIGHT NOW".

I will say that I think there ought to be a distinction made between things that are recorded for giggles and with the direct attempt to be ironic and uber-cool. I will grant you that the very first song on my little list here almost breaks that but it's so corny in its own right that I think it still passes. I'm not really looking for the musical version of Sharknado here, I'd prefer to see actual, good faith attempts at music that are kind of awful but singable: the sorts of songs you'd turn off immediately once they come on, but if you can't get to the media player of your choice in time you will soon sing along with.

A couple of mine:

Save Ferris: Come On Eileen

Yep, right from the middle of the ska era. Yep, I totally owned this album. And yep, I sure as hell listened to it so much that I can probably sing along with the entire thing even now.

Black Hole Sun... by Steve and Eydie?

Off the Lounge A Palooza album. Soooooo corny, it comes all the way back around the corny continuum and back into cool and then continues back along into corny once again. "Neath the black the sky looks DEAD".

Mel Torme: The Goodbye Look

Look. Mel is probably my favorite jazz singer, like, ever. Sinatra is bigger and brassier and just generally filled with more "cool", it's true (and also he gets extra points for the "hey guys, if I say "let's fly" instead of "let's sex" then even old people will listen to my music), but Mel is just so... unintentionally silly so much of the time you can't help but love the guy. This song is a cover of a Steely Dan song, backed by a big band, and features lots and lots of scatting. Yes, it is all of those things and it is awesome.

I will spare you all Lou Bega (even though, truth be told, I kind of love swing and the swing revival).
Ok you're an asshole I just want that clear up front that twice now you have exposed me to entirely novel musical genres and ffs I like them you ASSHOLE.

OKOKOK.

I need to be awake for this shit so your thread of evil is bookmwared for fomeoot.

...bookmarked for tomorrow.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 06:34:37 AM »
Sugarcube stuff

I SAID OUCH
THIS REALLY HURTS.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
I liked this more than I should.

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 04:35:32 PM »
How to Save a Life - the fray
Grenade - Bruno Mars
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
OK, I love that SKA version of Come On Eileen.

And I love this nuclear-age Olive Oyl.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »
How to Save a Life - the fray

I like this song too. Scrubs used this song during an episode to make me have feelings.