Author Topic: 640K is more memory than anyone will ever need!  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
640K is more memory than anyone will ever need!
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:35:13 PM »
Ok Gates never actually said that but whoever did needs to be slapped. I'm dealing with a Thinkpad running Win95 that I need to run some stuff and nothing I usually use will work, aarg!  Any programmers out there who still remember how to work in this os who mite be interested in a quick sidejob let me know, I can say that it basicly involves building a slideshow like program that moves from fullscreen Jpg to Jpg with mouse or keyboard clicks. I cant be too specific publicly.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: 640K is more memory than anyone will ever need!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:25 PM »
10 PRINT "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG."
20 GOTO 10
RUN
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »
10 PRINT "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG."
20 GOTO 10
RUN

Yea I already tried that and came up with a missing DLL  >:D 

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 10:03:01 PM »
Sounds like you're overcomplicating it, to me.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 11:12:17 PM »
I'm sure there is an image viewer in WIn95 that can cycle through pictures when you click. I wonder if IRFan viewer still exists and might work?

If not, maybe make a PPTX on a modern version of PowerPointless and save it in comparability mode to run on previous versions of office?

If not that, make a pptx on a modern version of PowerPointless, export it as a video with 3 seconds per slide, convert it to a format that a 22 year old OS can recognize, and hit pause to hold on a 'slide'.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »
Ok Gates never actually said that but whoever did needs to be slapped. I'm dealing with a Thinkpad running Win95 that I need to run some stuff and nothing I usually use will work, aarg!  Any programmers out there who still remember how to work in this os who mite be interested in a quick sidejob let me know, I can say that it basicly involves building a slideshow like program that moves from fullscreen Jpg to Jpg with mouse or keyboard clicks. I cant be too specific publicly.

Pull the hard drive, get an IDE adapter, and use a more powerful computer to first copy and then go through the pictures.
Irfanview still exists also

Edit:
http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 12:38:52 AM »
thanks for the help, I should have put this in the bitching thread. Its probably not clear what i'm trying to do. Im basically attempting to build a simulation of someone booting the machine and surfing the web, normally I would do this with Director or Animate (Flash) or similar, 95 limiting my options to zero. Sometimes I can get away with making a simple click through slideshow with FS viewer but that software wont work either. I think I need someone capable of programming a "game" that runs in DOS based win95. Im not a programmer, I already put out a couple of feelers to some programmer friends and im waiting to hear back, I know there are a few people on here who might be able to do this so i figured what the hell, why not ask. Sorry to be confusing with limited data.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 01:27:51 AM »
thanks for the help, I should have put this in the bitching thread. Its probably not clear what i'm trying to do. Im basically attempting to build a simulation of someone booting the machine and surfing the web, normally I would do this with Director or Animate (Flash) or similar, 95 limiting my options to zero. Sometimes I can get away with making a simple click through slideshow with FS viewer but that software wont work either. I think I need someone capable of programming a "game" that runs in DOS based win95. Im not a programmer, I already put out a couple of feelers to some programmer friends and im waiting to hear back, I know there are a few people on here who might be able to do this so i figured what the hell, why not ask. Sorry to be confusing with limited data.

Eh, don't sweat it. It's a neat problem to try to deal with.

.. Out of curiousity is there any reason you couldn't just have the actors boot up the Win95 machine and actually browse the web?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 02:40:12 AM »
If its 95, might not have an ether net hook up.  You could maybe find an adapter to work.
 But a easier way might be to mock up a few sites for it to browse to. Web pages at the time we're pretty simple.  Make them on the computer and then browse to the page from the browser.  Change the adress in closeups.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 09:30:03 AM »
With apologies for responding to the thread title rather than the actual thread subject, I had a friend who told me that nobody could possibly ever have any use for more than 16K of RAM. He thought the 64K in my Kaypro 2X was ridiculous. He had a Radio Shack Color Computer. I wonder if he remembers having said that now when he uses his phone. I have not seen him in a couple of decades, though by that time he'd have likely had 640K.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 10:33:18 AM »
If its 95, might not have an ether net hook up.  You could maybe find an adapter to work.
 But a easier way might be to mock up a few sites for it to browse to. Web pages at the time we're pretty simple.  Make them on the computer and then browse to the page from the browser.  Change the adress in closeups.

You should be able to edit the HOSTS file to redirect e.g. FBI.gov to a local HTML page on the hard drive, so even the close ups would work.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 11:13:35 AM »

You should be able to edit the HOSTS file to redirect e.g. FBI.gov to a local HTML page on the hard drive, so even the close ups would work.

Turns out that it's easier to run Windows 95 in your browser than a browser under Windows 95.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »
You want me to ask an actor to type?   :roflolmao:      :deadhorse:

nice solution though, ill present it and see what they say

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 11:20:25 PM »
I thought they just did the fake clackity flickity finger wriggling?

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 02:57:30 AM »
At the time, it was true. Then reality bypassed it.