Author Topic: Stephen Fry on God  (Read 961 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Stephen Fry on God
« on: January 27, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
Re: Stephen Fry on God
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 12:25:27 PM »
He looks a lot like my grandfather (deceased 1993) in the preview still.  Crazy.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 01:02:19 PM »
Great clip.
Gay Byrne is such a tool.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »
Gabriel Mary "Gay" Byrne (born 5 August 1934; affectionately known as Uncle Gay,[2] Gaybo[3] or Uncle Gaybo[1]
My 13 year old self is snickering uncontrollably.  I have a gay uncle but not an uncle gay.  You Irish and your nicknames. 

Online Harry Black

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 03:23:55 PM »
Gabriel Mary "Gay" Byrne (born 5 August 1934; affectionately known as Uncle Gay,[2] Gaybo[3] or Uncle Gaybo[1]
My 13 year old self is snickering uncontrollably.  I have a gay uncle but not an uncle gay.  You Irish and your nicknames.
Yep! Thought someone might get a kick out of that!
The guy was an institution on tv here since we have had tv.
He was even approached to run for president in 2011 and topped opinion polls.

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 04:13:55 AM »
He's had a lot of comments on religion, but this scene with Alan Davies came to mind (8:58 to 10:34).

https://youtu.be/uwMcXLyw9Bs?t=538

(apparently it's not possible to have framed videos with timestamps)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:18:00 AM by 2397 »

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 05:32:53 AM »
I love Stephen Fry.  8) The looks on the other guy (in the first video are priceless  ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:35:23 AM by Tassie Dave »

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »
Excellent clip.

For another answer to the question "What would you say to God?" I think it was George Bernard Shaw (not certain, I think it was him) who said, "I would say, 'Sir, you gave us insufficient evidence.' "

Christians, I think, would say that the world was perfect until Adam sinned, which allowed Satan to corrupt God's perfection, but that implies either that God allowed Satan to cause torment and suffering for six thousand years because one man disobeyed, or else that God was powerless to stop Satan from corrupting the perfection of the world, in which case, Adam's sin is kind of irrelevant.

I have a very devout friend, raised Quaker, converted to Catholicism, but who retains her Quaker theology and even as a Catholic rejects the entirety of Catholic dogma, who answered the question of suffering in the world with these exact words: "I would rather believe that God is not all-powerful than believe that God is not all love." So in her theology, God did his best, but his best falls short. She also believes that everyone goes to heaven in the end, so people suffer for an eye-blink out of eternity, and then have paradise for the rest of time. I'm not sure what her conception of heaven is. I think she would say nobody knows.

Pretty much everything Stephen Fry says in the clip assumes that God is supposed to be all-powerful. Maybe you get to the pearly gates and God says, "Look, man, I know you're pissed at me, but do you have any idea how hard it is to make a decent world? Forget what those idiotic Christians and Muslims and Jews say. I can't do everything. I'm sorry about all those kids with bone cancer and bugs eating their eyes, but I really did do my best, and FWIW, you all get paradise here in heaven. Except those religious fanatics. I can't stand those guys."

Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 05:32:52 PM »
An imperfect creator at least I can understand. . . . .

Unless the God is like Donald Trump then, he/she/it will not be too concerned with me not bowing down and worshiping and just doing my best. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Harry Black

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »
The line of thinking in Frys tirade is actually the same line that led me to become an atheist. I still remember the day it first occured to me.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 08:06:53 PM »
Conservative estimates put the number of planets in the universe at 10^24 planets. Even assuming life and sentient is rare, I doubt we are the only thinking beings in the universe. I doubt we are special in any sort of way.  Even assuming something create the universe, why would it care about us?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 04:37:05 PM »
Even assuming something create the universe, why would it care about us?

All of those other planets don't have anything on us. Because we're so very cute. You know, when we're not genociding each other or raping children. So basically mainly when we're asleep. God loves to watch us sleep. If he concentrates really hard, he can make himself believe that he did a decent job of it.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 03:55:21 PM »
This could be the one planet that didn't turn out the way God intended. "What's all that green stuff? Why is that substance existing in three different states?"

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »
This could be the one planet that didn't turn out the way God intended. "What's all that green stuff? Why is that substance existing in three different states?"

God made the world in six days flat.
On the seventh he said "I'll rest."
So he let the thing into orbit swing
to give it a dry-run test.
Some billions of years went by and he
took a look at the whirling blob.
His spirits fell as he said "Ah, well,
it was only a six-day job."

I don't know who wrote that. I don't remember where I read it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain