Author Topic: Sequels almost unrelated to the original  (Read 903 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Sequels almost unrelated to the original
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 05:02:38 PM »
Was the first one dubbed over by Americans?  It used to be the only version available in the US was a dubbed version, which is really disconcerting when the words are the same but the sound doesn't quite sync up.  Also, really stupid that the distributor thought Americans in 1980 just couldn't handle a movie with funny accents.  WTF?

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 07:24:07 PM »
Was the first one dubbed over by Americans?  It used to be the only version available in the US was a dubbed version, which is really disconcerting when the words are the same but the sound doesn't quite sync up.  Also, really stupid that the distributor thought Americans in 1980 just couldn't handle a movie with funny accents.  WTF?

The bluray version contains both versions as separate audio streams, but the one I saw recently was an mp4 rip I had before I bought that one, and I'm pretty sure it was the dubbed version. Kind of bizarre indeed. Is the Aussie accent that hard to understand for people from the U.S. or something?

Edit: In case you're wondering, I have this version, which is shaped like a little jerry can:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:31:06 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 07:56:10 PM »
I'm almost positive that the movie that is known as Operation Condor 2 in the US is not only not really a sequel in China (it has many of the same people in both but the same can be said for most Jackie Chan movies from the late 80s and 90s) but it was actually filmed *before* the original Operation Condor.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 08:04:20 PM »
Bad Lieutenant 2: Port of Call New Orleans

Worth watching in it's own right for batshit crazy Nic Cage action, talking iguanas, and Werner Herzog's feud with the original Bad Lieutenant director.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 10:33:48 PM »
Also, really stupid that the distributor thought Americans in 1980 just couldn't handle a movie with funny accents.  WTF?

We don't have accents. Funny or otherwise  ;)

It would be strange if they dubbed Mel, seeing he is an American  ???

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 08:49:33 AM »
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

personate-rain