Author Topic: Man shot by security guard for catching pokemon  (Read 1406 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Man shot by security guard for catching pokemon
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:27:02 AM »
No, I have no problem with the game at all and this is just sad.
The guard was suppose to be unarmed as well.

http://wavy.com/2017/01/30/river-walk-community-fatal-shooting-update/

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — The 60-year-old man who was shot and killed by a security guard last Thursday in a Chesapeake community was playing Pokemon Go, the family’s attorney tells 10 On Your Side.

Jiansheng Chen was shot during a confrontation with a security guard while he was sitting in a minivan at the River Walk community clubhouse. Chen was reportedly playing the popular virtual reality smartphone game at the time.

It’s a game that Chen played to keep up with his children and grandchildren. The game shows a Pokemon gym in the area where Chen was shot.

“That he was engaged in playing this game because the River Walk Community Center is a gym in the program,” attorney Greg Sandler said.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Man shot by security guard for catching pokemon
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:38:08 AM »
No real info.  Feels fairly click baity.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 03:49:36 PM »
I know a few security guards that take their job too seriously. They think they are all batman clones. They carry weapons and implements that are not required or recommended by their jobs, and they seem to escalate situations far to easy.

Thats what this sounds like to me. An overzealous undertrained security guard.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 04:12:30 PM »
I know a few security guards that take their job too seriously. They think they are all batman clones. They carry weapons and implements that are not required or recommended by their jobs, and they seem to escalate situations far to easy.

Thats what this sounds like to me. An overzealous undertrained security guard.
Id agree but I might say undervetted as opposed to undertrained.
In my experience, you can give some people all the training you like, but they will still defer to whatever bullshit they heard on a forum or in some super Jason Bourne operator weekend course they did.
Matching the right personality type to the right job is vital and once you do it right, barely any training is required.

The problem is that the right personalities for security are tough to find and so most employers have to balance giving training to dickheads and hoping something like this doesnt happen.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
I will be straight up, I work for the company as a part time job.
I am not part of the normal part of the company however.
They are among the worst paying in the local industry and they get some of the worst officers.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »
My experience with security guards, I was one for 3 years while in college, they tend to fall into several categories.
33% Retired old man that were bored or force to do something to get out of the house by their wives.
33% People who were basically incapable of doing anything else; neither bright enough nor physically able.
33% People who were doing it on the side while they were trying to get their main gig off the ground.  Students like me or folks with small business.  One guy quit his day job so he could take care of his kids.
5% gung ho dipshits the cops and prison guards wouldn't take. 

More than %100 because the fourth category drew from the other three.  Actually knew a women who claimed she failed the psyche eval to be a guard at the county jail.  I believed her, she also claimed the only reason she wanted the jail gig was to have power over men. 

That being said, about the only thing that could get you fired would be showing up to an unarmed guard job with a gun or any kind of security gear beyond a flashlight.  It would be surprising a community patrol like this was armed as armed guards cost a lot more and generally aren't needed.

Note: obviously my numbers are made up but that was the sort that generally worked as un-armed guards.  The vast majority of the guards I knew were go along to get along types who didn't want any trouble but there were a few yahoos. 

And yep, not much detail no that story.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 05:28:25 PM by Ah.hell »

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:22:04 PM »
It looks like the security company is trying to double down
http://pilotonline.com/news/local/crime/security-guard-who-killed--year-old-chesapeake-man-acted/article_23d59183-659b-5c00-8947-bd8a5b881fc4.html

"There was a history of problems between the company and Mr. Chen," Andrew Sacks said without offering details. He said he would provide additional information Monday afternoon during a news conference at his office.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 06:51:58 PM »
The Security Guard Has been charged with second degree murder
http://wavy.com/2017/02/16/johnathan-cromwell-charged/

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) — The Chesapeake Commonwealth’s Attorney announced Thursday that it is pursuing criminal charges against Johnathan Cromwell, a security guard accused of shooting and killing 60-year-old Jiansheng Chen.

Warrants charge 21-year-old Cromwell with second degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony for the January 26 shooting. Cromwell, of the 200 block of S. Budding Avenue in Virginia Beach, turned himself in Thursday afternoon.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 05:07:43 AM »
I had been following the case but had not posted - Case has gone to trial and is in the hands of the jury

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/chesapeake/jury-could-start-deliberations-thursdayin-chesapeake-pokemon-go-murder-trial/1813873979

I don't like the prosecutor (D.J. Hansen) because it was the same prosecutor who tried the Norfolk Four.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline DanDanDan

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 07:57:54 PM »
Isn't this the news show that Christopher Hitchens bashed for its slogan, "on your side", in a past interview with the SGU?
Logic goes first, ideas go later, because ideologies can all go awry.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 05:39:44 PM »
Looks like he is going to get 30 years in prison
https://wtkr.com/2019/03/04/former-chesapeake-security-guard-to-be-sentenced-for-murder-in-pokemon-go-case/

I don't know if I should feel good or bad about this. I don't really like the prison system much myself.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline gebobs

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 01:55:43 PM »
Looks like he is going to get 30 years in prison
https://wtkr.com/2019/03/04/former-chesapeake-security-guard-to-be-sentenced-for-murder-in-pokemon-go-case/

I don't know if I should feel good or bad about this. I don't really like the prison system much myself.

Agree. Hopefully justice was served. Obviously, Chen's dead and it's a tragedy for Chen's family. Still, a part of me feels for the guy who has completely farked his life over something so damned stupid. Those are going to be long years.

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 03:42:05 PM »
I play this game, not so much because I like it but because my wife likes it a lot and I enjoy helping her.  I actually think its pretty horribly managed and the code is terrible.  But anywho.  The neighborhood behind my office has quite a few pokestops so I take a long and winding route into work to grab them.  I have a thing that kind of automates it so it doesnt interfere with driving.  The neighborhood is old money wealthy and they have a security guard.  He has followed me through the neighborhood a few times.  I of course start acting real suspicious whenever I see him in my rear view just because thats who  I am.  I wonder if hell shoot me?

Offline Billzbub

• Stopped Going Outside
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 03:58:58 PM »
I play this game, not so much because I like it but because my wife likes it a lot and I enjoy helping her.  I actually think its pretty horribly managed and the code is terrible.  But anywho.  The neighborhood behind my office has quite a few pokestops so I take a long and winding route into work to grab them.  I have a thing that kind of automates it so it doesnt interfere with driving.  The neighborhood is old money wealthy and they have a security guard.  He has followed me through the neighborhood a few times.  I of course start acting real suspicious whenever I see him in my rear view just because thats who  I am.  I wonder if hell shoot me?

You HAVE to let us know here if he does.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

personate-rain