Author Topic: FDA confirms toxicity of homeopathic baby products; Maker refuses to recall  (Read 363 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
This is in out wheelhoul so though I should post it

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/01/fda-confirms-toxicity-of-homeopathic-baby-products-maker-refuses-to-recall/

The agency confirms elevated levels of belladonna, aka deadly nightshade.

After investigating reports that more than 400 babies were sickened and 10 died in connection with homeopathic teething products, the Food and Drug Administration confirmed Friday that it had indeed found elevated levels of the toxic substance, belladonna, in the products.

Belladonna, also known as deadly nightshade, was the prime suspect of the investigation from the beginning, which Ars reported about last fall. Nevertheless, the products’ maker, Hyland’s, would not agree to recall the products when it was notified of the FDA’s conclusion, the agency reported.

In a response to Ars, Hyland's has acknowledged that there are some inconsistencies in the amount of belladonna in its products, but the company said that it has not seen any evidence from the FDA indicating that the elevated levels were toxic or excessive. “The current data [seen by the company] indicate that the measured samples all fall well within an accepted margin of safety,” Hyland’s spokesperson, Mary Borneman, told Ars. As such, the company said it does “not see any action necessary.”

In the FDA’s announcement, Dr. Janet Woodcock, director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research explained that: “the body’s response to belladonna in children under two years of age is unpredictable and puts them at unnecessary risk."

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
Normally I would say that the board of Hyland will be able to contemplate this decision from behind bars before too long.

But Trump's FDA.......uuhhhhhh....
Well.  There it is.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Normally I would say that the board of Hyland will be able to contemplate this decision from behind bars before too long.

But Trump's FDA.......uuhhhhhh....

Chainrman of the board gets the job of undersecretary of the FDA  :'(
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
I know the answer to this already, but, can you really call it homeopathic if it has an actual deadly thing in it?

10 babys, this makes me sad.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I know the answer to this already, but, can you really call it homeopathic if it has an actual deadly thing in it?

Not the first time that homophobic remedies have stuff in them to have them have actual effects.
It is suppose to reduce pain by some listings. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
I know the answer to this already, but, can you really call it homeopathic if it has an a actual deadly thing in it?

Ugh, I hate reading replies to a post and then I notice the typo.

Not the first time that homophobic remedies have stuff in them to have them have actual effects.
It is suppose to reduce pain by some listings.

Intentional or subconscious?
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I suspect that there is both accidental and on purpose.
— Robert G. Ingersoll