Author Topic: Question about exercise apps?  (Read 616 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Question about exercise apps?
« on: February 02, 2017, 05:51:20 PM »
With an exercise app, mine compares me to the average for people using the app but am curious about something.
Wouldn't those who actually use the app be those who tend to exercise more so you are not really comparing yourself to the average person but instead others who value exercise?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Ah.hell

Re: Question about exercise apps?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 06:01:56 PM »
With an exercise app, mine compares me to the average for people using the app but am curious about something.
Wouldn't those who actually use the app be those who tend to exercise more so you are not really comparing yourself to the average person but instead others who value exercise?
Almost certainly and probably a small cross section of those that exercise more often at that.

Offline DG

• The Prophet
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »

I suspect so, but it would also include people, like my parents, who are using phone apps to track their daily activity (having regard to their age), also people (like I was) who are supposed to be limiting their activity while recovering from injury or undergoing rehabilitation. It would, likely, only include persons who are engaging in the same type of activity (i.e the app you are using may not be an app that is commonly used by swimmers).

And those who are just curious about exercise. Depending of course on the detail of information recorded and compared in the application.
"If you don't like the theory of evolution you should probably skip the practical".

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »
Sorry, there are people who probably exercise five minutes a day and use their phones to track it, what I mean though was that the bulk of people using it likely are those who do try to exercise more than average.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
Sorry, there are people who probably exercise five minutes a day and use their phones to track it, what I mean though was that the bulk of people using it likely are those who do try to exercise more than average.

I'd think that people who exercise a lot don't use an exercise app.  Probably more like Strava and heart rate monitors.  I guess it depends on what you are thinking of as an exercise app.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
Why do you care about comparing yourself to other people? Wouldn't it be better to ignore other people, design an exercise plan based on your own body's needs and abilities (possibly with the help and advice of your doctor or a trusted trainer), and then just track your own improvement?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 11:19:31 AM »
Speaking for myself, feeling competitive pushes me to push myself. I find competition enjoyable.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 12:30:24 PM »
With an exercise app, mine compares me to the average for people using the app

What is it comparing?  Steps? Watt-hrs?  Calories burned?  Walking speed?

Strava compares things like that with other Strava users, but doesn't make any claims about averages.

I'd think you would want to compare yourself to people with similar goals tracking similar performance rather than comparing yourself to the gen pop.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »
I'd think you would want to compare yourself to people with similar goals tracking similar performance rather than comparing yourself to the gen pop.

Pretty what my thoughts are actually.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 05:34:45 PM »
Its a great idea to compare ones self to similar people so you can see what might actually be possible.
It can show you that you are achieving more than you thought or perhaps that you could maybe push a bit harder or train a bit smarter.
My foray into biking (I will TOTALLY get back into it....I swear) was very much shaped by finding out that what I thought would be my top speed, was coasting for most people.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 10:09:08 PM »
Its a great idea to compare ones self to similar people so you can see what might actually be possible.
It can show you that you are achieving more than you thought or perhaps that you could maybe push a bit harder or train a bit smarter.
My foray into biking (I will TOTALLY get back into it....I swear) was very much shaped by finding out that what I thought would be my top speed, was coasting for most people.

Average exercise is about 53 minutes a day and I try for about 2 hours although only managing about 90 minutes a day this week.
— Robert G. Ingersoll