Author Topic: Chinese factory replaces 90% of workers with robots. Production rises by 250%  (Read 1808 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
We all knew this was coming

Chinese factory replaces 90% of human workers with robots. Production rises by 250%, defects drop by 80%

http://www.zmescience.com/other/economics/china-factory-robots-03022017/

While some of the world’s leaders are obsessed with keeping people out of their country, an unspoken entity is slowly but certainly taking our jobs: robots. It’s been long discussed that robots and computers will start taking our jobs “in the near future” — well that near future is upon us and we’re not really prepared to deal with it. Of course, some jobs are more at risk than others, are few are as threatened as factory jobs.

According to Monetary Watch, the Changying Precision Technology Company focuses on the production of mobile phones and uses automated production lines. The factory used to be run by 650 employees, but now just 60 people get the entire job done, while robots take care of the rest. Luo Weiqiang, the general manager, says the number of required employees will drop to 20 at one point. Despite this reduction in staff, not only is the factory producing more equipment (a 250% increase), but it’s also ensuring better quality.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
Yeah, but those people are all gonna teach painting or sell home-knit pillows on Etsy or something, right?

That's how that works, right?
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Yeah, we need to start thinking about a solution when virtually all jobs are replaced by robots.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
This is nothing new. Automation has been replacing human workers since the beginning of the industrial revolution. The word "sabotage" comes from when the original Luddites would throw a shoe into the machinery, because they were angry about the loss of jobs. This was 200 years ago. In the 1960's we were told that automation would allow people to work 15 hours a week and the rest would be leisure time. Instead the benefits all went to the owners, never to the workers, who have lost real wages steadily.

We are rapidly approaching a time when most production will be done by machines, with the participation of a tiny fraction of the workforce, and everyone else will be relegated to low-wage service jobs. It is a weakness of capitalism that all the benefits of technology go to the owners of capital, never to the workers. The economy is booming and stock prices soaring and profits are high, and ordinary workers are working longer and longer hours for less and less pay. There comes a point when the workers can no longer afford to buy the goods the machines are producing and the economy collapses, or devolves into political chaos and the rise of demagogues who get elected with empty promises of being able to fix everything.

The near-term future is a continued rise in the wealth of the owners and a continued fall in the standard of living of the workers.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
There's a scifi story about the Battle of Armageddon. The humans knows it's finally coming and they build an army of robots to fight for them. The 'bots win the battle and the Heavenly Host comes down and transports the robots bodily to Heaven, leaving the humans behind.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
I have no idea if he is right but Gates thinks we should tax the robots' productivity. Use that money to retrain workers.

https://qz.com/911968/bill-gates-the-robot-that-takes-your-job-should-pay-taxes/

Counter argument:

http://fortune.com/2017/02/25/bill-gates-robot-tax-automation-jobs/

I think the main problem is that there are only so many service jobs to absorb workers. That is assuming taxing automation does not slow growth.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:36:37 PM by Nemmzy »

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Retrain workers, or establish basic income.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
Mass sterilization of the poor could solve unemployment in a single generation.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Yeah, we need to start thinking about a solution when virtually all jobs are replaced by robots.

Gene Roddenberry already worked it out for us! We just need (practically) free energy first...
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Retrain workers, or establish basic income.

I am a big fan of universal basic income. I think it's going to be more and more necessary as robots take over more and more jobs.

Offline PatrickG

• Off to a Start
Communist propaganda piece
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 12:44:18 PM »
With the rising cost of labor in China production lines will inevitably be robotized. But are the 90%/250% numbers correct?

A quick google search reveals that this old news and sloppy journalism: The original article was from a july 2015 in the Chinese State-run newspaper: http://en.people.cn/n/2015/0715/c90000-8920747.html. That was picked up by IEEE Spectrum the next month: http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/industrial-robots/chinese-unmanned-factory-replaces-humans-with-robots  .

The original article smells heavily like state propaganda for a China-first policy called "made in China 2025". In 2015 IEEE is more careful about the propaganda statements, but the 2017 incarnations of the the same article buy it all hook-line-and-sinker. 

So this is old news and the numbers are likely fake.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
It's funny how often and how quickly you come to eugenics. I'm beginning to think you actually want this.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
It's funny how often and how quickly you come to eugenics. I'm beginning to think you actually want this.

You're way, way, waaaaay behind me on this.  I know Andrew means it and it is, indeed, monstrous.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]

You're way, way, waaaaay behind me on this.  I know Andrew means it and it is, indeed, monstrous.
That can't be though, that would be the most anti-libertarian, pro-state thing ever. I mean, even the purest of the pure 'berts aren't allowed to wash his feet.  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick

That can't be though, that would be the most anti-libertarian, pro-state thing ever. I mean, even the purest of the pure 'berts aren't allowed to wash his feet.  :laugh:

I think about the only thing that's ideologically consistent in Andrew's position is disdain and othering of people who he perceives to be weak, the poor being one such group, but there are others.  The libertarianism is incidental to the whole Übermensch thing.  Objectivism before, liberalism today, it's all window-dressing his gut feeling that whatever he perceives as inferiority is a moral failing.  And what we know about this sort of categorization of people into subhuman is that then everything becomes permitted in terms of what can be done to them, they're just vermin then.