Author Topic: Do atheists bear (some) guilt for an anti-Muslim climate?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Do atheists bear (some) guilt for an anti-Muslim climate?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »
I am against anything that attacks the person holding the horrible belief instead of the horrible belief itself.

same. I don't hate serial killers, I just hate their belief that serial killing is good. I'm tired of serialkillaphobia

Murder is an action, not a belief.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »
I am against anything that attacks the person holding the horrible belief instead of the horrible belief itself.

same. I don't hate serial killers, I just hate their belief that serial killing is good. I'm tired of serialkillaphobia

mind blown
Quote from: George William Foote
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 12:04:02 PM »

mind blown

The difference is as clear as day to me. How can I help you with this?
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 10:24:37 PM »

That's a really hard line to walk, especially when the belief in question is an important part of a person's self-identity, as it is with some religious believers.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but it's a very difficult thing to do successfully.

Even if imperfect, it is a good path to try to follow.

The problem is, if you don't perfectly walk that line - and most people come nowhere near perfectly walking it - then you risk demonising the majority of religious people, who are peaceful and don't post any risk to anyone.

And that justifies everything that religious people say about atheists.

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 07:15:10 AM »
It's more difficult to not have it seen as an attack on the person, than to not attack the person.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
you risk demonising the majority of religious people, who are peaceful and don't post any risk to anyone.

all humans pose risks to people. I'm sure even Stephen Hawking could get someone killed if he did a good amount of plotting and scheming.

most religious people don't _intended_ to _cause physical damage_ to anyone (especially if we exclude involuntary circumcision from damage we recognize), but that isn't the only currency problems exist in.

no one ever complained 'Trump might kick Americans in the shins!'
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:45:33 PM by GodSlayer »
Priestcraft nourishes hope in the scientific laboratory, and feels only faint misgivings in academic halls; but it pales and withers at the smile of scepticism, and hears in a low laugh the note of the trump of doom."

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
I'm sure even Stephen Hawking could get someone killed if he did a good amount of plotting and scheming.

I would watch the shit of this movie.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »
I'm sure even Stephen Hawking could get someone killed if he did a good amount of plotting and scheming.

I would watch the shit of this movie.

what if it was really low budget so they had to get Nicholas Cage to play Hawking?

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »
Since we're veering.  "Do atheist bears..." is what I see every time this thread is at the top....
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »
Or do atheists bear, as in play druids in role-playing games? Probably.

Do atheists stand in rivers pawing at fish? Maybe.

Are there atheist furries? Most certainly.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 02:49:07 PM »

are there non-atheist furries?!

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 02:49:52 PM »

Better you than me to google that (I'm at work).
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »

Better you than me to google that (I'm at work).

what would I even find? kitties in burkas? Yogi Bear cosplay with a yamaka? Aslan pounding a lioness lady

spoiler: I googled it, and it was disappointingly modest/Christian LMAO, even their furries wear clothes to cover their shameful fur nudity apparently, with the possible exception of this cougar* getting fucked from behind for her birthday

*according to the link
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:56:08 PM by GodSlayer »

Offline amysrevenge

• Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »
I'm mostly thinking of something like that Sonic the Hedgehog/Jesus business.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 12:09:11 AM »
The world "jihad" doesn't appear in the Bible, but human psychology is the same everywhere—maybe. And American Christians reguarly connect with the spirit of jihad, judging on the rates of domestic terrorism. Our media bleaches Christianity so that we aren't encouraged to think of it as fosteriing radicalism.

The last time I heard a Muslim and a Christian debate, I noticed a lot of delicious psychological projection. So maybe there is more truth to this question than we appreciate. I am going to sound like Harris by equivocating Abrahamic religions; they are intellectually oppressive and designed to talk around taboo subjects. What irks a Western religionist is hearing someone talk about the same thing using different language. On some level, I think they interalize their dogma so that when they hear it, they do not consciously process what it means.

Do atheists have some kind of detached position of intelletual elitism that allows them to see thorugh religion to people's true nature, or are they so disconnected from the human experience of religion that they don't understand the individual psychology of a martyr?

Each Abrahamic religion was used by an empire in a state of war at some point. Even for Christianity, the whole Prince of Peace thing is largely sarcastic—you know those Crusaders were preparing to go Old Testament on the Muslims. We are told that being a Holy Crusader was an honor and that they were mostly middle-class, but I have a feeling the truly intelligent ones found a way to serve God off of the battlefield. Islam is the same way with jihad: Let us pretend to worship violence so that the idiots go blow themselves up while the sane people stay behind.