Author Topic: SGU Fans at the March for Science! Photos & Commentaries  (Read 2880 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: SGU Fans at the March for Science! (Meeting and Planning)
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »
We'll be in DC with the pups.
(click to show/hide)

With the times I have yelled about Trump, my dogs probably wish Clinton won  :-[
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online HanEyeAm

• User Not Found
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 11:30:59 PM »
When I saw in the show notes that this weeks podcast was going to include the topic of the March for Science, I was expecting the SGU Rogues to tell which March they were going to, and encourage everyone to participate too... But as far as I could understand, they purposely gave a neutral statement about it... Maybe Steve thinks that this is a "thin ice" issue for the SGU? Are they avoiding to be more explicit about it fearing that they might piss off all the Republican SGU fans? o.O
They didn't say much about the Reason Rally, either, even though Cara went and spoke about it afterwards (IIRC). I haven't heard them promote or endore or talk up anything other than their own NECSS.

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 06:15:39 PM »
I dont get it... basically EVERY major Official Scientific Venues are strongly supporting the March... Even the Office of Science and Technology Policy voiced their very serious concerns... And the SGU is going to remain neutral?

The SGU is really going to be out of THE BIGGEST PRO-SCIENCE MANIFESTATION ON THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF MANKIND?? Is that it?? :(

"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »
Right... because someone there might get political?  :D
I thought it was weird too.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2017, 08:14:59 PM »
They seemed to be a little put off by the lack of focus, as they saw it. I don't begrudge them their POV, however, there is certainly an intellectual purity in the skeptical movement that some strive to maintain at any cost. Whether I think they're misplacing their apprehension or not is immaterial, but I find it weird too.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2017, 08:22:44 PM »
The Society for Neuroscience is supporting... Isn't Steve part of that?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable"

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2017, 10:52:40 PM »
They seemed to be a little put off by the lack of focus, as they saw it. I don't begrudge them their POV, however, there is certainly an intellectual purity in the skeptical movement that some strive to maintain at any cost. Whether I think they're misplacing their apprehension or not is immaterial, but I find it weird too.

for Science tho... it's in the title.  :laugh:
If you can't just unequivocally say "Yayy science!" but instead have to worry about who else is going to be there... man, what are we gonna stand for?
I think "...for science" captures what they're about more perfectly even than a hypothetical "March for Skepticism" would.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »
I wonder.... What else need to happen in order for the Rogues to start supporting the March, and stop being neutral about Trump...

The Official March for Science website released the Marcher Pledge. This makes it pretty clear what exactly the March is about.

Marcher Pledge

We, the peaceful, passionate, and diverse members of the March for Science, pledge to work together to share and highlight the contributions of science, to work to make the practice of science more inclusive, accessible and welcoming so it can serve all of our communities, and to ensure that scientific evidence plays a pivotal role in setting policy in the future.

We will:

Build a scientific community that works toward the common good and serves all people.

Strengthen the bonds of mutual respect and communication between scientists and the public.

Ensure that policymakers have and use the best-available science to inform decisions that affect the public.

Support scientists if they are censored or punished for disseminating scientific evidence.

Hold political leaders and policymakers accountable if they silence, ignore, attack, or distort scientific evidence.

Fight discrimination, exploitation, and inequity in the scientific community.

Work to make sure that scientific research and scientific careers are made more accessible to people from historically underrepresented and marginalized backgrounds.

Advocate for the rights of every child to receive a quality science education and to access  the technologies and tools that shape our world.   

Encourage participation in the electoral process at every level to link scientific advocacy with civic action and public accountability.

Pass on to future generations our values of curiosity, free speech, free inquiry, and critical thinking.

On April 22, we take a decisive step toward ensuring a future where the fullness of scientific knowledge benefits all people, and where everyone is empowered to ask new scientific questions. We march for countless individual reasons, but gather together as the March for Science to envision and sustain an unbroken chain of inquiry, knowledge, and public benefit for all.

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »
Adam Savage is going to participate. I didn't see a confirmation yet, but it seems that a lot more of Science Celebrities would attend too! This Is going to be epic! :D

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 07:22:33 PM »
From the official Newsletter: Bill Nye Will participate too!!!! :D

Dear March for Science supporters-

We’re thrilled to announce three honorary co-chairs whose love of and commitment to science that serves the common good inspires us all.

Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha, MD -- a pediatrician and public health advocate who helped the community of Flint confirm and share data on water sources poisoned by lead
Dr. Lydia Villa Komaroff, PhD -- a renowned biologist and co-founder of the Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
Bill Nye -- a science educator, mechanical engineer, CEO of the Planetary Society and host of Netflix’s Bill Nye Saves the World
These co-chairs will help promote the march globally, speak at its Washington, DC event and encourage others to join together to support and defend science.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
Can't make the DC march.

I was hoping to, it won't happen.

Definitely going to the NYC one with wife and kids.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2017, 02:23:45 PM »
I am going to try to make either the Norfolk or the Richmond one
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2017, 08:03:16 PM »
Bill Nye is going to host in DC:

Jane Goodall is supporting the March:

The NOBEL Institute just delcared their support for the movement:

https://www.facebook.com/marchforsciencestockholm/posts/305515966532897

More than 100 major science institutes are supporting the DC March, and THOUSANDS are supporting all the other marchers around the world.
For the DC, some of the major institutes are:

American Astronomical Society
International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers (IFPTE, AFL-CIO)
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
American Association of University Professors (AAUP)
American Astronomical Society
American Educational Research Association
MIT Press
American Ethical Union
American Federation of Teachers
National Council for Science and the Environment (NCSE)
American Public Health Association
National Center for Science Education
New York Academy of Sciences
Americans United for the Separation of Church and State
Association for Science Teacher Education
Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP)
Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
Center for Science in the Public Interest

Ladies and Gentlemen... we are living the first Skeptical World War. This is going to be epic! :D

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2017, 09:03:51 PM »
There seems to be one in Amsterdam as well.
Mooohn!

Offline Igor SMC

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2017, 11:49:16 AM »
There seems to be one in Amsterdam as well.

There are more than 400 marches already!

Like I said... I don't think is an exaggeration to say that this is going to be the most skeptical and scientific day in the entire history of mankind! It is going to be Historic! :D