Author Topic: Episode #110  (Read 14063 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #110
« on: September 01, 2007, 04:22:06 PM »
Podcast #110 8/28/2007
The Fans and Rogues remember Perry DeAngelis
News Items - Jerry Andrus: Another Skeptic Passes, HIV Denial, Jesus Appears in Fence, Ben Stein Expelled
Science or Fiction
Skeptical Puzzle
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Joe Shmoe

• Chief Rape Apologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
Episode #110
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 05:28:36 PM »
It is good to know more about scleroderma, I spoke with Perry a number of times, but his illness was never a topic of conversation.  I speak only for myself here, but both in speaking with Fernanda over the past couple of weeks and listening to this podcast I feel that I have gained some measure of closure.

Offline WRCfan

• Not Enough Spare Time
Episode #110
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 06:50:31 PM »
whoa!  I don't know if I'm the only one that said it but I said the part about "listening to a podcast is like talking with friends and you're the quiet one"!  Even though my name wasn't mentioned.....my heart skipped a beat!!  I'm sure others made that observation, but it's a cool feeling knowing someone read your words and it meant something to them!
If we're all alone, we're all alone together....

Offline 2112

• Well Established
Episode #110
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
I shed a couple tears during the podcast. It was very well done.
Science probes, it does not prove.
-Gregory Bateson

My Blog

Offline niteme

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • http://www.myspace.com/niteme_
Episode #110
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 06:57:39 PM »
I understand Perry just passing and how you dedicated the last show to him and gave us closure indeed.  But never forget how much you ALL mean to your listeners, and how much of a positive impact all of you guys and gals have had on our lives.  Thank you again guys.
he difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

www.carlsagan.com   ,   www.expelledexposed.com

Add me to myspace, just click the WWW :D

Offline Johnnie

• Off to a Start
Episode #110
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 07:19:06 PM »
My favorite skeptical quote to date. Miss you, Perry!

Offline wallet55

• 3 feet under the Salmon River
1.1 more bummed
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 08:07:08 PM »
I was already depressed by Perry's passing; he was my favorite curmudgeon, and the retrospective on him in this episode was very very well done, and on target (the person who said what everyone was thinking but not saying!)

I was a small fractionally more bummed to hear about Ben Stein, who's writings i remember fondly from the 90's and I always have viewed as more intelligent person than normally encountered in popular culture. Damn.

Oh well, pick and choose. No one, least of all me are above reproach, and in the money/career scrounging scrum that entertainment is, I should be more forgiving, but to hear someone clearly as intelligent as Ben Stein stooping so low is at least a fraction come down compared to the major uplift of (the nature of which has never been heard by me before!) fan letter read in this episode of an alternative med person turned skeptic by SGU. As noted in the show, Perry would have been gratified. Ben Stein can just go pay alimony with his ill gotten gains.

Bob
Humankind cannot stand very much reality.   T. S. Eliot

Offline Tai Fung

• Frequent Poster
    • Everybody Tai Fung Tonight!
Episode #110
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 08:20:48 PM »
This was again a very difficult podcast to listen to, but for the "right" reasons.  :(

Of particular note was the discussion of Perry's tolerance of differing opinions.  I really felt strongly about his statement in episode #80, which I submitted as my top three favorite Perry quotes (it ranked #1, so it made my signature).
Atheism should be about "Science and Social Justice" the same way Math should be about "Numbers and Fashion."

Offline Opcn

• Frequent Poster
  • Home of the Reef Tank.
    • facebook
Episode #110
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 08:30:40 PM »
I think that I too benefited from hearing about his condition and getting closure from it; part of me keeps wanting to hear a chiropractor talk about how it could be fixed so I can punch them in the mouth (but maybe thats not an appropriate thing to say).

Offline Havermayer

• Seasoned Contributor
Episode #110
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 09:40:09 PM »
I cried.  ;_;
World Community Grid
Use your computer's idle time for cancer research.

Offline Nigel

• Seasoned Contributor
  • One man, one opinion
    • The Skeptical Review
Episode #110
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 11:28:47 PM »
I thought this was one of the best done episodes in the shows history.  It hit just the right note.  

I cannot remember the episode, but it was a while back, when the crew was discussing which of the nutty or crazy notions they wished or hoped was real. (That was the gist of the conversation.)  I think one of rogues (Bob, I think) wished for an afterlife exist.  I remember that Perry chided him.  His retort was basically what would you do forever, it would be boring.  I haven't shaken that conversation, or at least my recollection of it, ever since the news of Perry's death broke.  

One thing I wish is that I could have been a fly on the wall during was 'the dinners' the rogues were remembering, and their conversations.  It is a shame those conversation were not recorded for posterity.

Ben Stein.  It is sad how effective the Discovery Institute has become in promoting their charade of pseudo science.  Unless you really have a firm scientific background, or have an interest in science -smart but lacking in basic scientific knowledge folks like Ben, who wish to gain comfort in a lack of conflict between science and religion can grasp onto ID.  

Thank you for this show, and all the others you have and continue to do.  It means the world to so many of us out here.

Offline wylie481

• Brand New
#110 = Perry Memorial Podcast
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 01:06:12 AM »
Great job on the latest podcast. I totally agree and identify with being the "silent one at the dinner table". Keep up the great work.  Just out of curiousity though where do you hold the lectures?

Offline Three

• Not Enough Spare Time
Episode #110
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 02:12:51 AM »
Thanks for doing this episode, even though it was difficult.  Thinking of Perry and his special qualities was a great focus.  I already miss him.
 didn't do it.

Offline Thakkus

Episode #110
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 02:44:58 AM »
Great episode.  I nearly choked on a Wheat Thin when you started talking about the Jesus wood knot.  I couldn't stop laughing.  Perry would have flipped out at that story!
ou're a fanstastic audience.  Thank you ladies and gentlemen.  Thank you very much.

Offline usefkl05

• Off to a Start
Episode #110
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 03:29:31 AM »
Thanks for this episode.  Somehow it made me feel a little better.  I think Perry would be glad to know that the first skeptic quote after his passing away was read by Dr. Novella, and it was by himself.  Nice touch.
Andy