Author Topic: Why is Harrison Ford still flying?  (Read 3095 times)

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Why is Harrison Ford still flying?
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »
Here is another pilot who will have a discussion with the Aviation Authorities (and the chief pilot). A Dash-8 has a rough landing, causing the right gear to collapse:

That looked like a good landing to me. (As in "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing")
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2017, 11:18:36 AM »
Looks like he got wacked by a gust of wind at the last minute.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »
Not enough information in that video to really say whether or not it was a pilot issue or a mechanical issue or a weather issue, or some combination of all three.
#notarealskeptic

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2017, 01:15:06 PM »
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2017, 04:46:07 PM »
Harrison Ford says he was concerned about turbulence from a nearby airliner when he landed on airport taxiway - LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-harrison-ford-landing-20170324-story.html

“I’m the schmuck who landed on the taxiway,” Ford told the tower shortly after touching down in his single-engine Aviat Husky on Feb. 13. “I was distracted by the airliner in moving when I turned into the runway and the wake turbulence by the Airbus.”
“Was that airliner meant to be underneath me?” Ford asked the tower.
“I landed on Taxiway Charlie?”
“Oohhh. I landed on Taxiway Charlie. I understand now. Sorry for that.”
“Boring conversation, anyway.”

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »
I kinda respect that he "owned" his mistake from the get go.

Accepting responsibility for one's mistakes is depressingly rare these days.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »
I kinda respect that he "owned" his mistake from the get go.

Although his explanation for being distracted was pretty lame.
I'm not going to use your pronouns.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2017, 12:25:39 AM »
The explanation was probably honest and factual. The fact that those circumstances were enough to confuse him is what's lame.

Your mileage may vary.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2017, 02:11:10 AM »
The explanations for most accidents are pretty lame.

Why did you hit that pedestrian?

Err... I didn't see them.

Why didn't you see them?

I don't know - I guess I must have been looking somewhere else at the time.

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2017, 02:28:56 AM »
The explanation was probably honest and factual. The fact that those circumstances were enough to confuse him is what's lame.

I don't know if they were probably factual or not.  The stated reasons are lame either way. 

Consider his first claim: he was distracted by the airliner, which was taxiing.  So, because, he was distracted by it he overflew it and landed beyond it?  Huh?

Consider his second claim: he was distracted by the tower saying "Caution, wake turbulence."  First of all, that is a routine warning.  Secondly, it should make you more aware of your glidepath and touchdown point, not less.  Third, the jet about which the warning was given wasn't even landing on Ford's runway.

Offline PatrickG

• Off to a Start
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2017, 11:40:52 PM »
It seems that Harrison Ford got away with it:
http://deadline.com/2017/04/harrison-ford-plane-near-miss-orange-county-airport-1201911767/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2017, 12:01:26 AM »
It seems that Harrison Ford got away with it:
http://deadline.com/2017/04/harrison-ford-plane-near-miss-orange-county-airport-1201911767/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the FAA completely miss the point?  It's not whether he deserves disciplinary action.  It's whether he is fit to fly.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2017, 08:13:40 AM »

Does the FAA completely miss the point?  It's not whether he deserves disciplinary action.  It's whether he is fit to fly.

It's not universal, but the general feeling in the aviation community is that this was a good outcome.

The FAA has had a general move towards corrective rather than punitive action for inadvertent mistakes. I'm sure they did look closely at his abilities and treated him as they would have any run-of-the mill pilot.

NASA developed an Aviation Safety Reporting System where a pilot can send in an untraceable report of actions and situations that could aid in safety. I'll dig up a link and you can see some examples. Filing one of these renders the pilot immune from enforcement action, with certain limitations. I don't know if Ford filed one here, but I would have in his situation.

As an aside, to date I've filed just one - I misread airspace warnings on my GPS and found myself within the airspace of an Air Force base near Little Rock, AR and not talking with the tower. Never heard anything back about it - like Ford, admitting the mistake and explaining the circumstances around it can help a lot.

Here's that link, with reports grouped into topics:

https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/search/reportsets.html
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:16:54 AM by Fast Eddie B »
• • •

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2017, 10:45:58 AM »
The company and FAA I has the same sort of deal with Maintenance. We can file a report and if it is accepted(key point) then we are not prosecuted. The reason is that this way the Mechanic can come forward with no fear of prosecution and explain exactly what happened and what they did wrong. Then the FAA and the company will work out how to prevent this from happening again. It's a good program.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams