Author Topic: What should I ask Deepak Chopra?  (Read 710 times)

Offline RandomEngy

• Brand New
What should I ask Deepak Chopra?
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »
Deepak Chopra is talking at Microsoft on February 27th, and there's an open Q&A at the end of his talk. What should I try to ask him in order to help audience members realize he's just full of it?

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: What should I ask Deepak Chopra?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »
Shame it isn't his brother Sanjiv. 
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 02:00:09 PM »
Doesn't really fulfill your criterion of helping audience members realize he's full of shit, but what I'd ask him is "Are ya nuts?"
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
Make him aware of the Deepak Chopra automated bullshit generator, and ask him if he is worried about the rise of AI and automation potentially replacing the output of human authors.

http://www.wisdomofchopra.com
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 03:42:53 PM by nameofthewave »

Offline RandomEngy

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 02:55:14 AM »
Been doing a bit of research. Going to go straight after his junk science, specifically the STBI initiative. http://www.choprafoundation.org/education-research/current-studies/sbti-initiative/ . They went in testing all kinds of stuff like telomerase activity, microbiome, protease activity, cardiac function and a whole host of stuff. However the only thing they found was "12 metabolites that decreased". Digging into the paper, they tested 151 plasma metabolites and apparently just dug out the ones that decreased the most.

AND apparently the treatment group had a vegetarian diet, while the control group did not. So really any metabolite changes could have been a result of the diet, not the ability to "consciously rewire your genes".

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 06:33:12 AM »
So is Microsoft hiring him to do advertising for them?

I'd be more concerned with why he's there at all, and why a company that should be about the purposefully engineered physical products and concrete results wants to tell the world that vague and incorporeal is what they're about.

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »
Been doing a bit of research. Going to go straight after his junk science, specifically the STBI initiative. http://www.choprafoundation.org/education-research/current-studies/sbti-initiative/ . They went in testing all kinds of stuff like telomerase activity, microbiome, protease activity, cardiac function and a whole host of stuff. However the only thing they found was "12 metabolites that decreased". Digging into the paper, they tested 151 plasma metabolites and apparently just dug out the ones that decreased the most.

AND apparently the treatment group had a vegetarian diet, while the control group did not. So really any metabolite changes could have been a result of the diet, not the ability to "consciously rewire your genes".

P-Hacking at it's best.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline RandomEngy

• Brand New
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 12:06:40 AM »
So is Microsoft hiring him to do advertising for them?

I'd be more concerned with why he's there at all, and why a company that should be about the purposefully engineered physical products and concrete results wants to tell the world that vague and incorporeal is what they're about.

It's part of Microsoft's "Outside in" series, where they get people to share their "diverse perspectives" with employees. Thankfully the speakers aren't paid, but it still pains me that they are lending him a platform to spread and sell his nonsense. I tried to get them to cancel him, but they are just denying any responsibility in vetting the speakers. Wonder what they'd think about a 9/11 truther or anti-vaxxer going and sharing their rich, diverse perspectives to the company.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 03:37:36 AM »
Wonder what they'd think about a 9/11 truther or anti-vaxxer going and sharing their rich, diverse perspectives to the company.

The most effective one for Microsoft might be a New World Order conspiracy believer. Would be amusing to book somebody to tell you that Microsoft management are literal satanic conspirators.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline csdave

• Off to a Start
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 05:19:58 PM »
So what did you ask him, how did he reply, and how did your colleagues react?

But above all, how the hell did he end up speaking at Microsoft?