Author Topic: "I get it, I just don't like it"  (Read 4396 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: "I get it, I just don't like it"
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2017, 07:08:01 PM »
To be fair, Pandora is a teeny bit more complicated than that. You can actually get it to show you what features of a track it is using to determine similarity.

For example, Safety Dance by Men Without Hats lists the following:

electronica influence
a subtle use of vocal harmony
mild rhythmic syncopation
extensive vamping
a vocal-centric aesthetic
major key tonality
prominent use of synth

As long as you use thumbs-up and thumbs-down extensively, you can build a station that follows your preferences quite well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Genome_Project
Self-described nerd

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
I tried obsessively for years.  I broke the algorithm so badly I made a station that ended up playing the same 5 songs over and over again.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »
I tried obsessively for years.  I broke the algorithm so badly I made a station that ended up playing the same 5 songs over and over again.

Lol. If it's been a few years since you did that, I think they may have improved a little since then.

My station plays mostly trance and 80s pop. I review my thumbs from time to time.
Self-described nerd

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 10:29:01 AM »
(C)rap music. Rhythmic chanting might require some modicum of talent, I've never tried it.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 08:24:21 PM »
(C)rap music. Rhythmic chanting might require some modicum of talent, I've never tried it.
It's poetry. A specific style of performance of poetry. If you don't like poetry (like me) you generally can't appreciate hip hop.
Self-described nerd

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
It's poetry. A specific style of performance of poetry. If you don't like poetry (like me) you generally can't appreciate hip hop.
It's a float turd of poetry.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2017, 09:48:30 PM »
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 02:46:49 AM »
Preloaded bias noted.

Have you actually listened to any hip hop? It sounds to me like you haven't.
Self-described nerd

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »
Preloaded bias noted.

Have you actually listened to any hip hop? It sounds to me like you haven't.
Dafuq? What leads you to that conclusion. I don't hate what I've never heard. And I don't hate crap music, I just have utter disdain for it.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2018, 12:27:55 PM »
Noisy, while I think it's fine to say a genre isn't your preferred style, suggesting there is no merit behind hip-hop... that argument isn't going to take you far. I'd be honoured if you'd give any of the following an open-minded listen...

(click to show/hide)

I respect preference, but nobody can tell me there's not considerable talent in that spoiler... I honestly feel like you're missing out if you haven't found your niche. Perhaps you'd prefer more cerebral tracks... If its the messaging you have a problem with, which does sometimes give me pause, I think of it like a genre piece... like a horror movie isn't meant to promote violence... it's a catharsis... I hope hip-hop finds it's way to you. But if not... you'll live.
Quote from: materialist_girl
SnarlPatrick, you are a nazi apologist piece of shit. You're a coward who hides behind the internet   ....   and I can only imagine it's a good thing your Jewish ancestors are dead so they don't have to watch you grow into the bigoted nazi creep you've become.

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2018, 01:46:49 PM »
The Beatles and Bob Dylan immediately came to mind.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2018, 03:46:55 PM »
Sinatra. Elvis. Corny AF
Pearl Jam, Halen, KISS, ACDC, Guns N Roses... yes. Though not Led Zepp, those guys rule.
Springsteen. U2
Bob Marley.

I think for me, overall, if you have a long, influential career but you only do the same thing over and over, then I ain't interested.
If you experiment and evolve over those years, then I give you props. So Beatles, MJ, Dylan... can't hate.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 04:41:28 PM »
I should also add Tragically Hip. I have to be careful though because that's an opinion could get you jailed in Canada.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2018, 09:31:26 PM »
Seconded on The Grateful Dead, Phish, and other "jam bands," and add to that any number of noodly, boring jazz fusion artists.

Another thing I really dislike is the extreme overuse of the Autotune plugin. That's not only a deplorably lazy and hackneyed studio technique that obviates the need for singing talent, but its overall sound is obnoxious as hell.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 04:29:05 AM »
INXS.

personate-rain
personate-rain