Author Topic: Crowdfunding Request: INVENTING THE MESSIAH  (Read 429 times)

Offline Some Dude

• Brand New
Crowdfunding Request: INVENTING THE MESSIAH
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:41:25 PM »
Hi All, I have a friend who is running a Kickstarter project for a documentary titled "INVENTING THE MESSIAH - a documentary on early Christianity". I am not associated with the project other than a normal backer, and one of the main producers of the documentary is a friend of mine via many of his history podcasts including topics such as Napoleon, Caesar, Augustus, Alexander the Great, The Cold War, etc. Is there a sub-forum where directions to this Kickstarter project could be placed without breaking any forum rules?

Some Dude

Offline Some Dude

• Brand New
Re: Crowdfunding Request: INVENTING THE MESSIAH
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 10:36:43 PM »
No one objected so I will proceed and see what happens.

The person driving the project just did a video on FB about the project which can be seen: http://bit.ly/2memDkr

And the Kickstarter project can be found here: http://kck.st/2k7z30d

If I have broken any forum rules, I do apologise but hence I asked first.

Some Dude
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:15:35 PM by Some Dude »

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 06:46:32 AM »
There is an excellent "Great Courses" (also available on Audible for only one credit) by Bart Ehrman called "How Jesus Became God." I have read a lot in this area, and his is the clearest, best documented approach I have found.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 01:37:30 PM »
There is an excellent "Great Courses" (also available on Audible for only one credit) by Bart Ehrman called "How Jesus Became God." I have read a lot in this area, and his is the clearest, best documented approach I have found.

Interesting.  I might try to get that through Audible.  Is it controversial like some theories about whether Jesus really existed or not, or is it mainstream?

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »

Interesting.  I might try to get that through Audible.  Is it controversial like some theories about whether Jesus really existed or not, or is it mainstream?
No, it is very mainstream, in my reading, just laying out in chronological order when each scripture and other documents arrived on the scene. There is a clear progression from simple apocalyptic prophet to Messiah upon death, to Messiah upon birth, to Messiah from the beginning, to God himself.

Ehrman also does a good job showing how Greek concepts come in to supplant Jewish concepts, like the virgin birth. To the Greeks, "of course" Gods can mate with humans.

Fundies don't buy those conclusions, but I would say even most mainstream Christian theologians do. The historical timeline is too well established.
Mister Beagle

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »
I agree with Beagle and have a question for him.

You say the virgin birth is a Greek concept, would the greeks have seen a god having child with a human as "virgin birth"?  Also, why would they care?  They didn't seem overly concerned with virginity. 

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »
I agree with Beagle and have a question for him.

You say the virgin birth is a Greek concept, would the greeks have seen a god having child with a human as "virgin birth"?  Also, why would they care?  They didn't seem overly concerned with virginity.
My comment was aimed more to the Greek concept that gods mated with humans all of the time, and indeed, if you didn't have a god as one of your parents, you weren't much of a famous person.. This, I believe, would have been sacrilegious to Jews.

I'd have to research this more, but IIRC, the virgin thing came from the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Old Testament. In trying to proof-text "prophecies" from Isaiah and other OT, they used a reference that most modern scholars say should have been translated as "young girl" rather than "virgin."

So the two memes merged.

I lived the skit (Monte Python, I think) where Jesus is protecting the adulterous woman, saying, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Then a stone come sailing at his feet, and Jesus shouts, "Mother, go home!"
Mister Beagle

personate-rain