Author Topic: Question with regard to the Catholic Church - Communion?  (Read 1115 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Question with regard to the Catholic Church - Communion?
« on: February 23, 2017, 06:04:57 AM »
Not the usual question though :)

When I was Lutheran, they had communion and they used little micro cups for each person for the wine. If I am remembering correctly, the Mormons do the same think with their water.

My understanding though is that Catholics do not do it that way and instead use a large communal cup with has the potential to spread disease.  In addition to that, they have resisted the change to the tiny individual cups. Some others might be similar.

What is the rational for this?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Question with regard to the Catholic Church - Communion?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:00:57 AM »
Maybe they still don't believe in germs? Recently they forgave Galileo for his disobedience, but I don't know if they ever admitted that he was actually right. Someone did tests on the water in the holy water font that Catholic churches have, and which everybody dips their fingers into upon entering. They were found to be absolutely filthy with nasty germs. Maybe they keep using the communal cup because they figured everyone has already shared all their germs in the holy water in the font, so the wine chalice is no big deal. Or maybe it's just because that's the way Jesus did it. The Catholic church is all about tradition.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
Snip
The Catholic church is all about tradition.
That's all you need, the Catholics are very very small "c" conservative.

Is there evidence that it actually spreads disease?  I haven't heard of any major outbreaks around a Catholic Church.

Edit to fix the quote and a typo.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:15:26 AM by Ah.hell »

Online seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »
Recently they forgave Galileo for his disobedience, but I don't know if they ever admitted that he was actually right.

I would imagine they did considering any Catholic college you can name with a science department is teaching  it.

When I was growing up, my parish didn't even offer the the communal wine to the congregation, only the priest(s) consumed it.

At some point after I got my first communion (mid 1970s), they changed the way one receives the eucharist. Instead of having the priest or concelebrant lay the eucharist on your tongue , you were given the option of receiving it on your palm of your hand and feeding it to yourself.

As I recall some parishes would offer wine, some didn't.
It was only later--at some point after I left the church in the '80s that I noticed they started offering the wine again--but I was only attending mass for weddings funerals, first communions and baptisms.

After each person sipped from the chalice and altar boy or concelebrant would wipe the rim.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
I remember being fascinated by these communion trays as a kid - it was either Church of Christ or Methodist.

In boot camp, I went to Catholic mass just to see if I could fake it.  I just watched everybody else do it and copied them.  I wasn't sure what they were saying though when the guy gave them the cracker, so I just mumbled something when I got there.  I don't think they gave us wine... don't remember.
Amend and resubmit.

Online seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 12:11:41 PM »
I

In boot camp, I went to Catholic mass just to see if I could fake it.  I just watched everybody else do it and copied them.  I wasn't sure what they were saying though when the guy gave them the cracker, so I just mumbled something when I got there.  I don't think they gave us wine... don't remember.

When in doubt, just say "amen".

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 12:18:52 PM »
I

When in doubt, just say "amen".

Fellow faker?

I think the guy (not a priest, some kind of chaplaincy dude) said "body of Christ" when he put the cracker in my hands.  I wasn't ready for that but it was obviously some kind of call and response thing like they were doing for the rest of the service.  Then everybody crossed themselves after they ate the cracker so I did that too.  Don't know if they got suspicious.

I wonder if I could fake a Muslim or Jewish service?  Somehow that seems unlikely... might be fun to try though.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »
Someone very early in my time in the Navy taught me the important lesson of saying amen when you wake up.  "Nope, I wasn't asleep on watch, I was praying!"

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 12:49:31 PM »
I've been to a bunch catholic churches in my youth, and they never gave us anything other than wafers for communion. The priest does a little ceremony where he drinks wine and has a giant wafer, and I guess the idea is that the blood of the Christ is now in the wafers as well. (It's all magic anyway, why wouldn't the blood be transfered in there?)
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
Fellow faker?

No. I was raised Catholic. Altar boy, the whole bit (no sodomy though).

When they say "Body of Christ" to you, you accept it by saying "amen".

I wonder if I could fake a Muslim or Jewish service?  Somehow that seems unlikely... might be fun to try though.

I never been to a Muslim service, but from what I know, it is mostly ritualized prayer.

I've been to numerous Jewish services--Reform, Conservative and Otrthodox.

Unless you are specifically required to do something (If you are a Levi or Kohen or some officer of the congregation), you don't have to do anything but sit there.
Keep in mind that Jewish temples and synagogues are owned and operated by their congregation. To be a member of a congregation you pay an annual fee. Many synagogues have assigned seats.
On most Saturdays, you will find plenty of open seats, but on High Holy days, you'll probably have to stand or something. Those seats are usually all paid for and families buy tickets for guests. In a reform synagogue you can probably sit wherever. In an Orthodox one, men and women sit in different sections.
Jewish services--particularly Orthodox are more chaotic to my eyes than any of the christian ones I ever attended. The Rabbi will be doing his thing while other men (Kohens?) will be doing some type of ritual elsewhere. Plus people are chit chatting and coming and going all the time.
An entire Saturday service is several hours long--though most of the people only come for the part surrounding the surmon.
Of course you will expected to wear a kippah and perhaps a tallit.

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »
I've been to a bunch catholic churches in my youth, and they never gave us anything other than wafers for communion. The priest does a little ceremony where he drinks wine and has a giant wafer, and I guess the idea is that the blood of the Christ is now in the wafers as well. (It's all magic anyway, why wouldn't the blood be transfered in there?)

They did not dip the wafer in the wine?
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 01:16:35 PM »

When they say "Body of Christ" to you, you accept it by saying "amen".

Oh, I thought it was something about blessed Mary.  I've been to some Catholic weddings where they do communion, but I would really stand out because people know me. 

The fun is in seeing if you can blend in... like a spy gathering intel.  Have you ever seen "The Spanish Affair"?  (Ocho Apellidos Vascos in Spanish).  It's about a guy from southern Spain who goes to northern Spain and tries to fit in as a Basque but he kind of sucks at it... it's full of great lines like "Oh yeah... I'm totally Basque and shit" and he tries to do the accent but he sucks at that too.  He doesn't know how to eat the food and he doesn't understand the rituals.   Probably only other Ibero-philes would enjoy it. 

I never been to a Muslim service, but from what I know, it is mostly ritualized prayer.

I've been to numerous Jewish services--Reform, Conservative and Otrthodox.

Unless you are specifically required to do something (If you are a Levi or Kohen or some officer of the congregation), you don't have to do anything but sit there.

See, now that would take some homework and prep to pull that off.  I like the challenge.

Amend and resubmit.

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »

They did not dip the wafer in the wine?
Maybe the priest dipped his own in the wine, however he also takes a swig, so I don't see the point (not that logic has any hold on these proceedings). The wafers they give to the rest of the people are dry.

Also very important: no chewing the wafer! You could hurt the baby jesus (or something). Just let it disolve in your mouth.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »
My understanding though is that Catholics do not do it that way and instead use a large communal cup with has the potential to spread disease.  In addition to that, they have resisted the change to the tiny individual cups. Some others might be similar.

I quit the church long ago but I was raised Catholic and have been to a bunch of other Catholic churches for weddings and stuff.  Catholics do not serve wine to the people.  Only the priest drinks the wine.  The priest used to place the cracker on your tongue.  It was considered sacrilege to touch the cracker with your hand.  Only the priest was worthy enough.  Nowadays the priest just hands you the cracker.  It's a little more sanitary than possibly touching a lot of tongues. 
  I attended a wedding at an Episcopal church once and they did all drink from the same cup.  Yuk. 

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »
My experience also.
The odd time I did see parishoners take wine, it was from a communal cup though. No rationale that Im aware of except that the priest holds it up to your mouth and feeds it to you so maybe its a power thing?

The holy water things at the door never looked the cleanest to me and usually had algae in them.