Author Topic: Question with regard to the Catholic Church - Communion?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
Re: Question with regard to the Catholic Church - Communion?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 05:33:01 PM »
I've been to a bunch catholic churches in my youth, and they never gave us anything other than wafers for communion. The priest does a little ceremony where he drinks wine and has a giant wafer, and I guess the idea is that the blood of the Christ is now in the wafers as well. (It's all magic anyway, why wouldn't the blood be transfered in there?)
My experience also.
The odd time I did see parishoners take wine, it was from a communal cup though. No rationale that Im aware of except that the priest holds it up to your mouth and feeds it to you so maybe its a power thing?

The holy water things at the door never looked the cleanest to me and usually had algae in them.
Hahaha yeah those things are probably responsible for numerous epidemics.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 05:56:39 PM »
I've told this true story before:

I was in either Kansas City, MO, or Omaha, NB, for a big gathering of radical peace activists. (I've been to such gatherings in both places. I forget which one this incident happened in.) A small group of us, maybe 8 or 9, were together and one of them, a man dressed in ordinary clothing (no clerical collar or robe) put a kind of cloth thing over his shoulders and began saying Mass. (I recognized it because the Bach B Minor Mass is one of my favorite pieces of music.) I figured he was spoofing it, which seemed like a wonderful thing to me, so I went along with it. He broke a chunk off a piece of bread, ate the chunk, and passed the rest around, and each person broke off a piece and ate it, except for one guy who broke off a piece of bread but held on to it. Then he passed around a cup with wine in it for everyone to take a drink from. The guy who had not eaten his piece of bread now dipped it in the wine and then ate it.

When it was all over with I thought it was all a great joke.

The next day I learned that the man who had conducted this Mass was actually a real Catholic priest, and it was a real Mass, and I had actually taken Communion. I was surprised because everybody there knew I was an atheist, but it turns out that this particular priest disagrees with the Church on the matter of who should be allowed to take Communion. He believes that everyone should be allowed to take Communion.

So there are different ways of offering Communion within the church. They have changed with time, and are different in some places, and apparently the priest has some discretion.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 07:19:28 PM »
My understanding though is that Catholics do not do it that way and instead use a large communal cup with has the potential to spread disease.  In addition to that, they have resisted the change to the tiny individual cups. Some others might be similar.

I quit the church long ago but I was raised Catholic and have been to a bunch of other Catholic churches for weddings and stuff.  Catholics do not serve wine to the people.  Only the priest drinks the wine.  The priest used to place the cracker on your tongue.  It was considered sacrilege to touch the cracker with your hand.  Only the priest was worthy enough.  Nowadays the priest just hands you the cracker.  It's a little more sanitary than possibly touching a lot of tongues. 
  I attended a wedding at an Episcopal church once and they did all drink from the same cup.  Yuk.

I was probably wrng about the church involved then. . . .Still then why doesn't the Episcopal church use the little cups?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
Lutheran. Little cups.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 06:37:36 PM »
Southern Baptists, little cups.

Visited several Byzantine Catholic services, used the hank of bread handed out by the priest and a single cup of wine that the bread was dunked in.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 09:06:05 PM »
There isn't really a rationale behind it as far as I know (I am Catholic). But there's an interplay between theology and logistics that might explain it:

Catholics believe in transubstantiation. That the bread and wine are actually transformed into the body and blood of Christ that maintains the appearance of bread and wine. Most other Christian sects don't follow this doctrine, they practice either consubstantiation (that the body and blood coexist with the bread and wine) or outright symbolism (no actual transformation at all, the bread and wine merely represent the body and blood).

Transubstantiation means the priest, at each mass, has to actually perform the Sacrament of Eucharist on the bread and wine. In practice, at least in my Church, this means he performs the sacrament on a large pitcher of wine that is then divided up among a few large chalices.

Having to pour it into dozens (maybe hundreds) of individual little cups would take a long time, as would having to perform the sacrament on each cup (the sacramental rights require that the priest actually "elevate" the wine...lift it up over his head etc).

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 02:02:30 AM »
Assemblies of God. Little cups, not even real wine.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 04:49:28 AM »

Water like Mormons?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 11:35:59 AM »
Lutheran. Little cups.
They had both common cup and little cups in the 70's when I took communion. First it was all common cup but later they started to introduce the little cups.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline kendranoelle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
Raised Catholic.

At every church I went to (and I never went to one of those relatively conservative Catholic Churches) we always had communal chalices where the eucharistic ministers would wipe the chalice between each parishioner. It wasn't required to do the whole blood of Christ stop. I only did when I was participating as an alter girl (since I was up in front of the congregation and couldn't skate by).

We were always told *not* to dip the wafer into the chalice as that was seen as "improper" or whatever.

Anywho, because it's optional, people who are sick should (and I think often do) skip it.

I mostly skipped because it is super shitty wine.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
Raised Catholic.

At every church I went to (and I never went to one of those relatively conservative Catholic Churches) we always had communal chalices where the eucharistic ministers would wipe the chalice between each parishioner. It wasn't required to do the whole blood of Christ stop. I only did when I was participating as an alter girl (since I was up in front of the congregation and couldn't skate by).

We were always told *not* to dip the wafer into the chalice as that was seen as "improper" or whatever.

Anywho, because it's optional, people who are sick should (and I think often do) skip it.

My church growing up happened to be located in area with 4 separate Senior Communities, in a heavily Italian and Irish American community. Hence our masses were always RIDICULOUSLY well attended. We often ran out of wine before everyone got a chance to get up.

We also had some Eucharistic Ministers who would outright refuse to give the wine to anyone who looked underage. Which is rather amusing considering the whole transubstantiation thing (it isn't wine anymore).

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »
Raised Catholic.

My church growing up happened to be located in area with 4 separate Senior Communities, in a heavily Italian and Irish American community. Hence our masses were always RIDICULOUSLY well attended. We often ran out of wine before everyone got a chance to get up.

We also had some Eucharistic Ministers who would outright refuse to give the wine to anyone who looked underage. Which is rather amusing considering the whole transubstantiation thing (it isn't wine anymore).

Yeah but Jesus has blood with 12% abv.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 03:40:32 PM »
Raised Catholic.

Yeah but Jesus has blood with 12% abv.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 02:08:07 AM »

Water like Mormons?

No, some kind of sugary grape juice, I think. It was pretty awful. Cloying.

personate-rain