Author Topic: Episode #607  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #607
« on: February 25, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »
Interview with Greg Dash; Forgotten Superheroes of Science: Wang Zhenvi; News Items: Restoring Hearing, Smartphone Tricorder, Science of Smoking Bans, Seven Earth-like Exoplanets; Who’s That Noisy; What’s the Word: Pathology; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Elapid

• Brand New
  • Insatiably Curious
Re: Episode #607
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:26:38 AM »
I'm having issues playing the ad-free version of the episode. When I open the file in a new tab, I get a 404 Not Found error. Anyone else experiencing this?
My favorite questions are the ones I don't know the answers to!

Offline 303

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »
Having problems d/l premium episode again. Same 404 problems. Disappointing that this is reoccurring

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »
I'm having issues playing the ad-free version of the episode. When I open the file in a new tab, I get a 404 Not Found error. Anyone else experiencing this?

Having problems d/l premium episode again. Same 404 problems. Disappointing that this is reoccurring

Remove the comma in the file name portion of the URL and it downloads fine.

Offline wallet55

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • 3 feet under the Salmon River
hacking a computer using the hard drive light
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
The hackers that developed this probably just read Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, where one of the characters communicates the location of buried treasure while being watched by manipulating his hard drive light.
Humankind cannot stand very much reality.   T. S. Eliot

Offline Elapid

• Brand New
  • Insatiably Curious
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 02:46:17 PM »
It works now, huzzah!

And, I always love hearing about the panel's parenting endeavors. Your approaches are so refreshing, and nearly the opposite of what I experienced as a child.

I've been meaning to bring this up to the panel for awhile, and kept forgetting (ADD is a super fun time), but, I think it would be worth the time of the scientific community to look into interpretation. I don't mean the Language-A-to-Language-B type of interpretation, I mean Freeman Tilden's type of interpretation - heritage interpretation. For that kind of interpreter, picture the park ranger leading guided hikes, or museum staff giving living history talks, or zookeepers manning info tables, or giving live demonstrations. The National Parks Service even designates 'Interpretive Park Rangers' as the ones that focus more heavily on engaging the public, rather than strictly law enforcement. Standard disclaimer: No, I'm not with NPS, but I do work as a professional interpreter.

The Rogues do, too.

In 1957, Freeman Tilden wrote the book "Interpreting Our Heritage". The main takeaway are his 'Six Principles of Interpretation':

1. Any interpretation that does not somehow relate what is being displayed or described to something within the personality or experience of the visitor will be sterile.
2. Information, as such, is not Interpretation. Interpretation is revelation based upon information. But they are entirely different things. However all interpretation includes information.
3. Interpretation is an art, which combines many arts, whether the materials presented are scientific, historical or architectural. Any art is in some degree teachable.
4. The chief aim of Interpretation is not instruction, but provocation.
5. Interpretation should aim to present a whole rather than a part, and must address itself to the whole man rather than any phase.
6. Interpretation addressed to children (say up to the age of twelve) should not be a dilution of the presentation to adults, but should follow a fundamentally different approach. To be at its best it will require a separate program.

It seems to me that the Panel of Skeptical Rogues hits all of those principles, whether you're aware of it or not. Ergo, you are interpreters. I've long argued at my organization's training that we should recognize not only 'outdoorsy' great in interpretation, but also communication greats like Carl Sagan and Richard Feynman, to name but two examples...

My neighbor teaches microbiology at a rather prestigious public university, and, knowing what I do, approached me last year.

"I want to teach my students how to communicate their research to the public," she said.

My first reply was, "Thank you!" My second was a list of resources.

As someone whose job it is to engage the public, and someone who is a lover of science, critical thinking, etc., two things have become very apparent to me over the past few years:

1. The scientific community isn't doing enough to effectively reach out to the public.
2. Interpreters, including our professional national and international organizations, have been woefully inadequate at reaching out to the scientific community to offer resources, including training.

The interpretation thing may sound a bit fluffy, but, we have at least one peer-reviewed journal, and we have to have objective measures to determine whether the programs we design are effective in connecting with our audiences.

I hope this isn't in the wrong sub forum, or worse, completely inappropriate for the forum in general, but the seeming lack of professional connection/outreach between these two groups has become so worryingly apparent that I couldn't stay silent on it any longer.

If the Panel of Skeptical Rogues, or anyone else, is interested in resources, I'd be absolutely thrilled to provide them. I don't want to drop a bunch of links to outside organizations in this thread, though, unless I know it's okay with the admins/mods, or if there's a more appropriate venue.

For now, I'll just leave something from one of the greats we do professionally recognize...

My favorite questions are the ones I don't know the answers to!

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 03:30:38 PM »
Just started listening.  I was amused that Steve worried that people might blame themselves for their illnesses.  Well, suck it up.  Obesity, T2D and all the myriad diseases associated with them are self inflicted, like many cancers (my and goes up).  What's worse are the diseases/conditions caused by parents, before and after birth.

It doesn't sound like any of the rogues have much to worry about tinnitus.  I have been hearing squealing A, two octaves above middle ever since chemo... about the level of an American voice.  But Siemens keeps it at bay, more or less, thank you very much German Technology.  No need to wait for drugs.  And since it comes packaged with hearing enhancement, these hearing ais have been particularly good for me.

"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline woodle

• Off to a Start
  • Giant Sky Wizard
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:07:28 PM »
Haven't listened yet but just wanted to say thanks for resolving the download issue so quickly  ;D
"They're homophones" - Rebecca Watson

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 01:30:24 AM »
It seems pessimistic to say that tinnitus is likely a hair cell dying. Couldn't it be one growing/healing, or some other kind of neuro-plastic effect?

Offline stands2reason

• Empiricist, Positivist, Militant Agnostic
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 01:51:42 AM »
I am a bit offended that Dr. Santamaria accused libertarians of being against smoking bans. I consider myself libertarian, and I fully agree with Dr. Novella's ethical philosophy: people have a right to clean air more than they have a right to pollute the air. Disclaimer: I have been a smoker, but never a hardcore chain-smoker, and I never had a problem with not being allowed to smoke indoors. I think it makes "the other side" more chill if they see you are not polluting their air.

Offline hqsbud

• Brand New
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 10:52:42 AM »
Maybe I live in some technological house on the hill, but I don’t think I’ve seen a hard drive with an activity light in at least 10 years.

Offline Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 11:01:23 AM »
I am a bit offended that Dr. Santamaria accused libertarians of being against smoking bans. I consider myself libertarian, and I fully agree with Dr. Novella's ethical philosophy: people have a right to clean air more than they have a right to pollute the air. Disclaimer: I have been a smoker, but never a hardcore chain-smoker, and I never had a problem with not being allowed to smoke indoors. I think it makes "the other side" more chill if they see you are not polluting their air.

I think if you look carefully at the history of PR and lobbying tactics employed by tobacco companies it backs up Cara's point.  The "Take Back Your Freedom" rallying cry was part of a deliberate marketing campaign in the 80s and 90s that was cynically presented to the public as a grass-roots political movement.  The fact that this approach worked at all says something about the political leanings of people against smoking bans, and how those attitudes can be exploited to delay laws and regulations.

Offline trschwartz

• Brand New
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »

Remove the comma in the file name portion of the URL and it downloads fine.

I do not download the episodes from the web site manually.  I use mediamonkey to download several podcasts I listen to (including the RSS feed for SGU :  https://www.theskepticsguide.org/premium - coupled with my username and password) - been doing it this way for years, but now, like a few weeks ago, I am getting a 404 error on episode #607.  So this problem is back again.  The comment to remove a comma in the URL makes no sense because there is no comma in "https://www.theskepticsguide.org/premium"  Any ideas on how to fix this ?

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »
I do not download the episodes from the web site manually.  I use mediamonkey to download several podcasts I listen to (including the RSS feed for SGU :  https://www.theskepticsguide.org/premium - coupled with my username and password) - been doing it this way for years, but now, like a few weeks ago, I am getting a 404 error on episode #607.  So this problem is back again.  The comment to remove a comma in the URL makes no sense because there is no comma in "https://www.theskepticsguide.org/premium"  Any ideas on how to fix this ?

I use an RSS feed reader and a libsyn URL associated with the mp3 file is displayed in the search results from the password protected feed. That URL works fine now. Steve must have fixed whatever the problem was pretty quickly after people commented. I thought an errant comma was the issue but it doesn't seem to matter if there is a comma in the URL now, so my error.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:30:04 AM by DevoutCatalyst »

Offline trschwartz

• Brand New
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »
Problem solved - Mediamonkey just downloaded #607. 

My thanks to whoever fixed it.

personate-rain