Author Topic: Notable passings and other milestones  (Read 21005 times)

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Notable passings and other milestones
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2018, 03:51:36 PM »
I said it was a good thing he didn't veto it. He didn't, and if he had, it would have been overturned.

But for that he gets all the credit?

George Herbert Walker Bush deserves a good deal of the credit for the ADA because he personally invested time and effort right from the start, and his administration actively helped in drafting the bill and overcoming the blockages to its passage. With the encouragement and assistence of the White House, Congress ended up overcoming some serious opposition including that by bigoted Republicans who sought to exclude persons with AIDS from sharing in the ADA benefits. I the end, they succeeded up passing a good piece of legislation which benefits a large segment of the population that had previously been marginalized.

I'm not bringing this up in order to praise George H.W. Bush, by the way. I'm bringing it up in the interest of fairness because it's true. I don't want to be the kind of asshole who refuses to give credit where it's due, just for partisan political reasons.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:33:18 PM by John Albert »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »
Yeah. There are certainly a couple of good things you could say about him.
I mean that genuinely.

They are definitely outweighed by the harm he did to the world.
I also mean that genuinely.

I wasnt politically savvy during the gulf war so I cant really judge anyone who voted for him and was a very naive kid when his son stole an election and lied his way into one of the modern worlds greatest atrocities.
But were all these facts that obscure back then?? No google so I want to be generous, but jesus...his comments when asked for an apology for the shooting down of a civvy aircraft....did people know about that?

Not a big fan of democrats either. Clinton had his own warcrimes and is very probably a rapist but...demand more?

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »
All I'm trying to do is be evenhanded. If anybody has an inkling that I might be trying to lionize any president by the name of George Bush, I invite them to look at the Intercept article I posted on the previous page.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2018, 04:19:27 PM »

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »
Was he also something of a skeptic?

Online CarbShark

« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2018, 02:14:30 PM »

Penny Marshall, who played feisty Laverne in 'Laverne & Shirley' before directing movies, dies at 75 - Los Angeles Times

Penny Marshall, who costarred as a Milwaukee brewery worker in the top-rated 1970s and ’80s sitcom “Laverne & Shirley” before becoming a director of hit movies such as “Big” and “A League of Their Own,” has died. She was 75.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:36:40 PM by CarbShark »
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2018, 02:56:03 PM »
Kind of sad. She lived a relatively respectable lifespan however.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
Jeremy Hardy: Comedian and Radio 4 panel star dies aged 57

Comedian Jeremy Hardy, a regular on BBC Radio 4 panel shows like The News Quiz and I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, has died of cancer aged 57.

His death was confirmed on Friday by his publicist, Amanda Emery.

Hardy made his name on the comedy circuit in the 1980s, winning the prestigious Perrier Award in 1988 and best live act at the ITV Comedy Awards in 1991.

On TV he appeared on shows like QI and sketch programme Now - Something Else.

Comics and politicians pay tribute

Not being from the UK, I'm familiar with him from the many panel shows he appeared on. Including the radio show The Unbelievable Truth, which is a sort of inverse "science or fiction" game.

Jeremy Hardy – true to his politics and his comedy

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »
I wasnt politically savvy during the gulf war so I cant really judge anyone who voted for him

At the risk of going OT, is the first Gulf War really considered a "bad" war, in the way that the Iraq War started in 2003 clearly was? Iraq simply annexed another country, and the UN authorized a military intervention to kick the occupiers out. Unless I am missing something, I can't really see how this was wrong. Unlike certain other wars, it also had a very clear, achievable objective, and did not result in a years-long quagmire.
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »
I wasnt politically savvy during the gulf war so I cant really judge anyone who voted for him

At the risk of going OT, is the first Gulf War really considered a "bad" war, in the way that the Iraq War started in 2003 clearly was? Iraq simply annexed another country, and the UN authorized a military intervention to kick the occupiers out. Unless I am missing something, I can't really see how this was wrong. Unlike certain other wars, it also had a very clear, achievable objective, and did not result in a years-long quagmire.
Its not considered a bad war but it should be.
To be very clear- Saddam was a fucking terrible mass murdering scumbag. But he was put there by the US and was not removed during that war.
The invasion of Kuwait happened because Saddam misread signals from US diplomats and then invaded. But the war was justified by selling lies about dead babies to the US public, lies which Bush Sr repeated even after they were exposed as such.
The US did not give a shit about the well being of Kuwait or the Kurds and while many dont think motive matters, it DEFINITELY matters because it shapes how one goes about something and that has knock on effects down the line.

Many people died in that war, just not many US or UK soldiers so no one really cared, but it was all a result of US interference in the region.

I sometimes wonder how Americans would feel if China suddenly pulled as far ahead in military might as they are now and decided that due to the awful human rights violations the US inflicts on its citizens, they were going to come in, remove the president, and force a new election.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »
It was still a two-faced propaganda war, and the US could've done more to prevent it in the first place.

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/23/world/confrontation-in-the-gulf-us-gave-iraq-little-reason-not-to-mount-kuwait-assault.html

But the war was justified by selling lies about dead babies to the US public, lies which Bush Sr repeated even after they were exposed as such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_testimony

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2019, 01:02:18 PM »

Its not considered a bad war but it should be.
To be very clear- Saddam was a fucking terrible mass murdering scumbag. But he was put there by the US and was not removed during that war.
The invasion of Kuwait happened because Saddam misread signals from US diplomats and then invaded. But the war was justified by selling lies about dead babies to the US public, lies which Bush Sr repeated even after they were exposed as such.
The US did not give a shit about the well being of Kuwait or the Kurds and while many dont think motive matters, it DEFINITELY matters because it shapes how one goes about something and that has knock on effects down the line.

Many people died in that war, just not many US or UK soldiers so no one really cared, but it was all a result of US interference in the region.

I sometimes wonder how Americans would feel if China suddenly pulled as far ahead in military might as they are now and decided that due to the awful human rights violations the US inflicts on its citizens, they were going to come in, remove the president, and force a new election.

I assume it was dirty play around, but still, I find it hard to object to driving out occupiers of a military army simply conquering another country. I don't accept the reasoning that because the US did bad things in the past, therefore Saddam Hussein should be allowed to annex Quwait. And from what I can find, it was a multi-national, UN-approved intervention, though sure with the US as the leading force.

Not that it's very relevant, but from what I can find, Saddam Hussein's path to power was a coup through his own party that controlled Iraq, and Iraq already before Saddam Hussein seized power was politically oriented to the Warzaw Pact countries.

China doesn't care about human rights, or anything that happens in other countries (except that they must not recognize Taiwan as either a country or as the rightful ruler of China), and if anything, has even worse human rights record than the US.
"I appear as a skeptic, who believes that doubt is the great engine, the great fuel, of all inquiry, all discovery, and all innovation" - Christopher Hitchens

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2019, 06:25:24 AM »
Noted nutball cult leader and perennial PotUS candidate Lyndon LaRouche dies at 96.