Author Topic: Notable passings and other milestones  (Read 17315 times)

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: Notable passings and other milestones
« Reply #210 on: March 07, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »
I know them because of their song Smack My Bitch Up.

Oh - those guys.  Fuck them.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2019, 12:31:10 PM »

Its my guess you have heard more of their music but didn't know it, Same with latinist

for example

Hackers

Kick Ass

Spawn

The Matrix

If you went to a dance club in the early 90s you most likely heard this (You can see Keith's earlier persona in this video doing the Melbourne shuffle)

"The prodigy" is really just Liam Howlett who writes and produces the tracks. Maxum is the MC, the others were just dancers until they started adding keiths punk like singing.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #212 on: March 07, 2019, 12:50:08 PM »
Firestarter was huge as well

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2019, 01:02:02 PM »
Firestarter was huge as well

That was Keiths breakout singing hit. That video blew peoples minds.  There is a social media push to get that song to chart again.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #214 on: March 07, 2019, 07:18:40 PM »

From the obit I linked earlier:

Their song Smack My Bitch Up was heavily criticised, and some chain stores pulled The Fat Of The Land album off their shelves in response.

When the Beastie Boys told them to drop it from their Reading Festival setlist in 1998, The Prodigy played it anyway, with Flint saying "I do what the f*** I want".

"There's a lot of confusion over the title obviously, but we don't really care," Howlett told triple j in 1997.

"We know what the song is about and the song gives us energy on stage ... People have got to be pretty silly to think that we're writing records about smacking women up. It's like Firestarter — the record was not about starting fires."

The song is a divisive. Its title is offensive, and that goes against another pillar of the punk ethos: inclusivity, and acceptance of all.

But there was also a sense in Flint's defence of the song that they would not shy away from being offensive, which is a necessary characteristic of an artist trying to break new ground.

Everyone from The Rolling Stones to Kendrick Lamar has provoked and challenged — and offended — in their own way.

As Flint said in 2015, in the era of streaming algorithms that can reward homogeneity and songs tailored for mass-market playlists, music was becoming less "dangerous".

"People are getting force-fed commercial, generic records that are just safe, safe, safe," he said — and that's the opposite of punk.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #215 on: March 08, 2019, 04:24:07 PM »
Jan-Michael Vincent

Star of "Airwolf" dead at 73
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #216 on: March 08, 2019, 07:28:41 PM »
Jan-Michael Vincent

Star of "Airwolf" dead at 73

Holy shit! I remember him he was big on the jaw clenching when he acted.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2019, 01:03:14 PM »
Hal Blaine   :rimshot:
Amend and resubmit.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #219 on: March 17, 2019, 07:03:35 PM »

Oh - those guys.  Fuck them.

In response to the "controversy" about that song, Keith Flint publicly announced that it really had nothing whatsoever all to do with domestic violence. If you read the lyrics it becomes obvious that the title is just a tasteless joke rhyme of the kind that rock musicians often make while messing around in studio.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:14:32 AM by John Albert »

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #220 on: March 17, 2019, 07:04:57 PM »
Dick Dale dead 81. King of the California  surf music
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #221 on: March 17, 2019, 07:10:17 PM »

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #222 on: March 17, 2019, 09:24:07 PM »
Its my guess you have heard more of their music but didn't know it, Same with latinist

I do not think that use in a movie soundtrack, where nobody knows either the name of the song or the artist really can constitute popularity. As I said, I never heard of the artist and certainly never sought out or knowingly heard any of his music.

To be fair, I have seen only one of those films, and I never frequented dance clubs.  In the early 90’s I listened mainly to classic rock and grunge. Certainly none of the radio stations I listened to (or any that I’m aware of having the ability to receive) played any music like that of The Prodigy.  Clearly we traveled in much different circles, and I ask you, rather than continuing to insist that I’m mistaken, to consider that perhaps your own experiences are not so universal as you assume.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #223 on: March 17, 2019, 11:53:28 PM »
I do not think that use in a movie soundtrack, where nobody knows either the name of the song or the artist really can constitute popularity. As I said, I never heard of the artist and certainly never sought out or knowingly heard any of his music.

The Prodigy were indeed a very popular band in the mid-late '90s to early '00s, whether you personally listened to them or not.

They had two #1 hits in the UK, "Firestarter" and "Breathe."

"Breathe" also charted #1 in Europe, #2 in Australia, #18 on the Billboard (US) rock chart and #14 on the Billboard dance music chart. "Firestarter" also charted #2 in Europe, #30 on the Billboard "Hot 100," #24 on the Billboard alternative chart, and #13 on the Billboard dance chart.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:18:09 AM by John Albert »

Offline Captain Video

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #224 on: March 18, 2019, 09:04:16 PM »

To be fair, I have seen only one of those films, and I never frequented dance clubs.  In the early 90’s I listened mainly to classic rock and grunge. Certainly none of the radio stations I listened to (or any that I’m aware of having the ability to receive) played any music like that of The Prodigy.  Clearly we traveled in much different circles, and I ask you, rather than continuing to insist that I’m mistaken, to consider that perhaps your own experiences are not so universal as you assume.

Where did I insist that you were mistaken?  All I said was that Billz and probably you too have heard more of their music than you probably know. There is nothing wrong with that. Sorry if I gave you the impression I was judging or something.

The Prodigy were indeed a very popular band in the mid-late '90s to early '00s, whether you personally listened to them or not.

They had two #1 hits in the UK, "Firestarter" and "Breathe."

"Breathe" also charted #1 in Europe, #2 in Australia, #18 on the Billboard (US) rock chart and #14 on the Billboard dance music chart. "Firestarter" also charted #2 in Europe, #30 on the Billboard "Hot 100," #24 on the Billboard alternative chart, and #13 on the Billboard dance chart.

They were popular in the club scene long before the pop hits above which were a change in sound for them.  Some of the earlier hits charted in the top dance category but not the top 100 pop. They are early pioneers of big beat/breakbeat music.

Edit: actually I'm wrong as far as the UK goes. "out of space" charted at #5 and "Everybody in the Place" came in at #2 on the UK singles charts. The whole "experience" album came in at #12.  Other songs from that album probably made the top 10 in the UK now that I see some of this data.   Tons of big dance hits in the US but they never charted in the pop singles till firestarter. 

I used to have the "out of space" 12" I miss my Vinyl  :(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:01:05 AM by Captain Video »

personate-rain
personate-rain