Author Topic: Notable passings and other milestones  (Read 23187 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Notable passings and other milestones
« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2019, 01:05:21 PM »
I wasn't big on the rave or dance club scene, so I never got to be a huge fan of The Prodigy. But I do recognize some of their bigger hits and I think their music is about as good as that hardcore techno style gets.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
I wasn't big on the rave or dance club scene, so I never got to be a huge fan of The Prodigy. But I do recognize some of their bigger hits and I think their music is about as good as that hardcore techno bigbeat or breakbeat style gets.

Fixed that for you, its a big pet peeve of mine (and many other DJs)  ;)

Its understandable, Somehow "Techno" became the Jello of electronic dance music even though its almost never techno. EDM works as the catch all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #227 on: March 20, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »
I wasn't big on the rave or dance club scene, so I never got to be a huge fan of The Prodigy. But I do recognize some of their bigger hits and I think their music is about as good as that hardcore techno bigbeat or breakbeat style gets.

Fixed that for you, its a big pet peeve of mine (and many other DJs)  ;)

OK, whatever. Geez louise, EDM is even worse than heavy metal, with the nitpicking over subgenres.

Suffice to say, The Prodigy are famous enough to be recognized even by those of us who don't properly know what genre of music they play.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 02:33:02 PM by John Albert »

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #228 on: March 20, 2019, 09:04:42 PM »
I try to avoid pigeonholing music into genres for exactly this reason.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2019, 09:39:32 PM »
Yea I get that but in this case its like calling ALL rock "metal" which it is not.

I never could figure out how it happened, people just started calling everything electronic "techno" It was never promoted that way.

Jello or Coke used to describe all gelatin and soda makes sense because those are the top brands. Techno was fun and people still make it but it was never the top brand even at its height.  I suppose the word techno sounds more "electronic" than disco, house, trance, or breakbeat.  Just call all of it dance music if you want to generalize.

Its just one of my personal things so don't mind me, I don't give a fuck when people criticize my spelling which I know drives some people crazy so I would not expect anyone to give a fuck when I say its not techno LOL If you come up in my both and ask me to stop playing so much techno you will probably get an earful and not get your request unless you have lots of cash. "there are 200 people on that dance floor and you are the one up hear bitching that "nobody wants to hear Techno" Its not even techno...Fuck you Nelly! Get outta my booth" >:D

So far off topic now but we keep loosing great musicians, its hard not to talk about what they did, how they did it, and where we played it.

Dick Dale had tremendous impact.

Hal Blaine probably had more influence than any of them being on the wrecking crew. His breaks are still used over and over in EDM and Hip Hop.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2019, 12:33:39 AM »
Criticising the DJ for their choice of music is the bigger sin there.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2019, 01:36:19 AM »
Nipsey Hussle (August 15, 1985 – March 31, 2019)
 :'(

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2019, 04:37:38 PM »

John Singleton dies; 'Boyz N the Hood' director was 51 - LA Times]

John Singleton, the first African American filmmaker to be nominated for an Oscar for directing the powerful 1991 drama "Boyz N the Hood" died Monday after being removed from life-support following a massive stroke. He was 51.

and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #233 on: May 02, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »
Peter Mayhew, original Chewbacca actor died

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48142765
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #234 on: May 02, 2019, 07:49:06 PM »
 :(
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online CarbShark

« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »

Doris Day dies; legendary actress and singer was 97 - Los Angeles Times

Doris Day, a leading box office star of the mid-20th century who achieved indelible fame in big-screen bedroom farces and put a sunny face on the working woman in postwar America, has died. She was 97.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2019, 10:04:44 AM »

Actress Peggy Lipton, star of ‘The Mod Squad’ and ‘Twin Peaks,’ dies at 72 - Los Angeles Times

Actress and former model Peggy Lipton, who rose to stardom in the late 1960s on the counterculture police series “The Mod Squad” and later starred on TV’s “Twin Peaks,” has died. She was 72.

Online CarbShark

« Reply #237 on: May 14, 2019, 01:09:13 PM »

Tim Conway dies; comedian’s comedian and ‘Carol Burnett Show’ star was 85 - Los Angeles Times

Tim Conway, the comedian’s comedian best known for his work on “The Carol Burnett Show,” died Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, his rep, Howard Bragman, confirmed to The Times. He was 85.

Conway died in a long-term care facility after suffering complications of hydrocephalus, Bragman said.

The actor claimed he was born funny: “I am not really qualified to do anything but screw up,” he told The Times in 2013.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2019, 04:34:14 AM »
Tim Conway was afflicted with dyslexia. In an interview with NPR, he said that the kids in school used to laugh at him because he always made mistakes when reading aloud to the class. So he decided to go into comedy.

R.I.P.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2019, 04:18:07 PM »
Bob Hawke, arguably, Australia's most popular former Prime Minister has died at 89

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-16/bob-hawke-dies-former-australian-prime-minister-and-labor-leader/6562902