Author Topic: What is it like to live in NYC?  (Read 934 times)

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Not Enough Spare Time
Re: What is it like to live in NYC?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
New York City has been called the cultural capital of the Western world, and even the cultural capital of the world.

But what is it like to actually live there? To people here who live there or have lived there in the past, what do you think? Like it or not?

It's beautiful and challenging and it has a lot of heart, but it is also expensive and a tough place to make friends and a complicated place to live logistically.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:43:32 PM by 6EQUJ5 »
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 01:46:34 PM »
Having lived here for a year and a half now, I think that the Chicago experience is actually more quintessentially American than New York City is.

Too bad about the football team, though.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 02:17:40 PM »
I transitioned to NYC from Minneapolis, before moving on to Los Angeles.

Living in all three of those cities is very unique, however, LA and Mpls had more in common than NYC with either place. As has been mentioned, if you don't make a lot of money things like property ownership will be out of your reach, though LA is becoming that place as well. Everything in NYC is far lower on the bang-for-your-buck scale. Lower your expectations on quality and variety of groceries, and expect to pay a lot more for food and drinks. Getting around is super convenient, except when you actually do need a car it is prohibitively expensive and a pain to own one and keep it in the city.
There is a lot to do and a lot to see and the experience is VERY unique, but I kind of aged out of NYC and was happy to get to LA for better weather and a more sane lifestyle. That said, there was a huge migration of people from NYC to LA starting about 7 years ago and they, like me, all landed on the east side and now the east side of LA is getting a very Brooklyn-hipster feel to it.

Seeing Minneapolis and Seattle and Chicago evolve to be more metropolitan and worldly like NYC is diminishing some of the uniqueness of NYC as a cultural capital, but that said, there will never be an experience like NYC anywhere else while you can approximate that among a lot of other cities.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 06:41:08 PM »
New York City has been called the cultural capital of the Western world, and even the cultural capital of the world.

But what is it like to actually live there? To people here who live there or have lived there in the past, what do you think? Like it or not?

It's beautiful and challenging and it has a lot of heart, but it is also expensive and a tough place to make friends and a complicated place to live logistically.

So it's like Sweden then?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 07:46:30 PM »
If you compressed Sweden into a cube that you could balance on top of Bornholm.

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »

So it's like Sweden then?

Maybe? Amazing diversity though, and it has it's own culture that has evolved locally from the mixing of all the cultures. I love how many things there are that are "New York," things.
I've got to go.  Have you got a clock?  I'm meant to be helping save the Universe.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
My wife and I go to NYC every year. It's our favorite place to visit. The variety of food from various cultures is really fascinating. We always have a good time. This year I want to see a show. Haven't done that yet. Probably newsies.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline 6EQUJ5

• The Swoligator
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2017, 02:32:22 PM »
Having lived here for a year and a half now, I think that the Chicago experience is actually more quintessentially American than New York City is.

Too bad about the football team, though.

1) Depends on how you define "quintessential American experience," I'm not sure that either city actually captures it.
2) You'd really have to live in New York to know.