Author Topic: Strength training books  (Read 530 times)

Offline mars007

• Brand New
Strength training books
« on: February 26, 2017, 11:38:01 PM »
Hey All, 

Would anyone be able to recommend a science based strength training book for a busy father of two?

Cheers!

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Strength training books
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:06:55 AM »
"Body by Science", Dr Doug McGuff.

Short intense resistance training.  I'm sure you will be inundated with suggestions.
"Our minds are not quite designed to understand how the world works, but, rather, to get out of trouble rapidly an have progeny."  Nassim Nicholas Taleb

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 06:20:39 AM »
The dial is always moving on strength training it seems. I think its hard for any book to represent the current scientific reality for long in a field where new studies of various quality are being published all the time.
My personal favourite is Serious Strength Training by Bompa.
It is very detailed with some suggestions that really helped me out in designing my programmes but I understand that it doesnt really reflect the current body of knowledge?

Some more information would probably help with suggestions-
Do you need to learn the basic lifts?

Do you have access to a gym or will you be aquiring gear yourself?

Are you interested in building specific muscles aesthetically or focusing on powerlifting style training or more explosive olympic style movements?

If you havent looked into any of that then it could save you a bit of time in narrowing down what you might want to go with.
For busy people the 5x5 stronglifts program seems well recommended but I dont know how much science is behind it as I havent really looked into it very much.

Some other forum users are pretty serious lifters and they can probably give better suggestions.

Offline PB67

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:46:54 PM »
"Body by Science", Dr Doug McGuff.

Short intense resistance training.  I'm sure you will be inundated with suggestions.
He asked for science.  Not pseudoscience.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Offline mars007

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 10:46:50 PM »
Thanks to all that responded!

Harry,

Yes, as far as strength training I'm a beginner and at most intermediate.  Looking to learn the basics that will help with overall strength. Probably more interested the Olympic type strength, as it seems (as far as I can tell...) to be most functional, I think...  I'll be using a local gym.

The 5x5 looks interesting, thank you!  I'll do my homework on it.

Cheers!

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
Championship Bodybuilding by Chris Aceto

Anything by Stuart McRobert, like Build Muscle, Lose Fat, Look Great: Everything You Need to Know to Transform Your Body or The Insider's Tell-All on Weight-Training Technique.

personate-rain