Author Topic: The 25 club (your go to movies)  (Read 998 times)

Online bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: The 25 club (your go to movies)
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 02:06:23 PM »
What cable package do you have that shows The Running Man and Total Recall a lot? I honestly don't think I've ever seen those on TV.

in the UK they often appear on some of the minor channels (such as ITV4) which use British or 80's action films to fill the late evening slot. So you end up with a film like Hot Fuzz on twice a week for a month. This week Double Jeopardy is on twice, as well as Total Recall and 16 Blocks, though tonight there is live darts.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 02:13:42 PM »
What cable package do you have that shows The Running Man and Total Recall a lot? I honestly don't think I've ever seen those on TV.

I think you had to have movie channels in the 90's. I watched all those a lot and was recently at bar that had Commando on. It was pretty awesome and hilarious to watch again without sound. Everyone looked so young and horribly dressed.

My list varies a lot from different times in my life but don't really rematch movies like that. I suspect the internet as done in my attention span.

Star wars( first three)
ghost busters
raiders of the lost arch
stand by me
blood sport
breakfast club
groundhog day
summer school
pulp fiction
boogie nights
trainspotting
goonies
Princess Bride
Police Academy
The Big Lebowski
Back To The Future
No Retreat, No Surrender

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »
The Matrix
Die Hard
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Alien
Aliens
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Life of Brian
Pulp Fiction

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
oh yeah, die hard and matrix too. I'm sure there is a bunch I'm forgetting but got rid of all my CD's and DVD's 2 moves ago.

Online SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 05:29:17 PM »
Yep there's a couple more for my list too.
Die Hard - easily 25 times
Total Recall - probably 15 or more
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 04:57:30 PM »
I can't add too many that haven't been covered, but a few I didn't see so far:

The Crow (total guilty pleasure)
So I Married An Axe Murderer (from working at a video store in college)
Waynes World / Waynes World 2 (also video store)
Better Off Dead (more video store)
Lord of the Rings - animated
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 05:43:45 PM »
I can't add too many that haven't been covered, but a few I didn't see so far:

The Crow (total guilty pleasure)
So I Married An Axe Murderer (from working at a video store in college)
Waynes World / Waynes World 2 (also video store)
Better Off Dead (more video store)
Lord of the Rings - animated
I might add the Crow, Better off Dead, and Axe Murderer to my list of re-watchable movies.   Axe Murder is probably Mike Myers best movie.  Heed, Pants! Now!

And I never worked at a video store.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 05:47:23 PM »
I've got a few of these I think, though my list is shifting a bit more rapidly nowadays because I just watch way too many movies... Just a few of the ones that come to mind from the past (I don't know if I've watched all of them 25 times, but definitely many, many times):

Star Wars OT: I was completely obsessed with this in elementary and high school to the point where I designed my own "C-Wing" starfighter and started writing fan fiction. When I first got going with 3D studio max, the first big thing I drew was the C-Wing, and it was also one of the first thing I printed with my 3D printer. At several points in my life I could literally ramble off all the dialogue in the entire trilogy verbatim if anyone had asked.

Back To The Future (mostly part one, but I've seen all of them many times): I watched this one week and then star wars the next week at an elementary school friend's house. I never knew it could be this good! I think they are what got me hooked on movies.

Jurassic Park (and probably 2, 3 as well): I got tickets to see this as a present for Sinterklaas. We do surprises (French pronunciation) at Sinterklaas, which are basically art-and-craftsy ways of wrapping your presents. My uncle made a paper maché T-Rex and gave it to me with his Nigerian sword that I'd been eyeballing whenever I was around his apartment. I was way into dinosaurs long before Jurassic Park (one of my early memories is a composite made up of going to the local geological museum dozens if not hundreds of times - that museum has been absorbed into much larger Naturalis now, but I still miss it), but it definitely fanned the flames of that obsession for years and years. Best Sinterklaas ever.

Indiana Jones OT: How could you not love an archaeologist who kills Nazis.

The Ninth Gate: This movie somehow just perfectly captures the atmosphere that I tend to be drawn towards. When I used to smoke, I smoked along with Johnny Depp, which left my room filled with a thick cloud of smoke by the end of it.

Aliens: One of the first movies I saw that could be classified as "scary". Still one of the best SF/Action films ever made.

Evil Dead II: Something about a spooky cabin in the woods. Also the gore is hilarious.

Tremors: This is just such a feel good horror comedy.

Groundhog Day: I guess I'm a sucker for repetition.

Eurotrip: I watch this movie (and some other teen/college comedies like Road Trip or Sex Drive) whenever I feel a little trapped and I need the illusion of a sense of liberation.

Revenge Of The Nerds: What can I say? I'm a nerd, and I hold a grudge. This movie works out well for me.

The Dark Crystal: As kids, when my sister and I would stay with my aunt, we'd get to pick a video rental that we'd watch from our fold-out couch bed in the morning. We'd literally always pick The Dark Crystal.

The Labyrinth: I loved this as a kid and as a teen. Totally had a massive crush on Jennifer Connelly

The Holiday: I had a long romcom phase a few years back and this was one of my favorites. It's pretty cheesy, but that's kind of what I was looking for. I often watched this back-to-back with Definitely, Maybe.

The Secret Of My Succe$s: When I was in the same phase, but more in the mood for eighties movies.

The Birds: One of my first Hitchcock movies, and still one of my favorites.
Rear Window: Ditto.

Braindead: The gore. Oh god, the GORE!

The Bourne Identity (the new, not the old one): Just one of my favorite action movies.

And a few that have made my go-to list more recently that will probably reach that mark eventually:

Some Lynch movies that I watch a lot:
Blue Velvet: I like how this is not quite as insane as some other Lynch movies, so while surreal, it still feels realistic.
Lost Highway: I like how this is completely insane (like many other Lynch movies), so it feels very surreal and dreamy.
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me: The extended fan edit is definitely worth watching because it explains some things a lot better, but I think I prefer the original, weird, Lynchian cut.

Let The Right One In: I just think this is a beautifully made film.

The Troll Hunter: I often make a Scandinavian fantasy night of it with this and LTROI.

Only Lovers Left Alive: I dislike some of the dialogue for its pretentiousness, but the atmosphere is as good as the one in the Ninth Gate, so it doesn't matter.

Copenhagen: Something about this drama just clicks with me.

The Neon Demon: This is the most recent, but somehow it's in the back of my mind almost daily, so I can see myself watching this tons of times.

Eyes Wide Shut: The atmosphere in this is a lot like The Ninth Gate, so I think I'll be watching it often.

There's a lot more candidates, but I'll leave it at that, for now.
Mooohn!

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 06:40:22 PM »
All the (modern) Bourne movies (I had no idea there was an older version until Werecow)

LOTR Trilogy

Every year I have a LOTR and Bourne marathon.

Wedding Crashers

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Saving Private Ryan

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »
In case anyone was skeptical or just curious:

EDIT: Bottom:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:29:03 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Online SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 07:28:24 PM »
Oh the Bourne Identity - seen that one 10 times easily.
Have seen them all and read most of the books but that one is the best.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 10:55:48 PM »
Movies:

12 Angry men- Watching this movie feels like resetting. Its a basic walk through basic logic and argumentation. I know the worlds that are coming, and I still love when they come.  40-ish times.

Inglorious Bastards - I just enjoy this movie, its my personal idea of not a perfect film, but a good example of a high quality film. My Quintessential "I want to watch something well done/fancy" go to.  30-ish times

All LOTR- My go to Fantasy movie. 30-ish times

All Harry Potter- When I need some highschool nostalgia. I am the same age as the actor that plays Harry potter, so I like to go through my memories of the years the movies came out on, and 12 year old Daniel vs 12 year old me etc. 30-ish times.

Frost Nixon- This movie is a dissection of the strategy of conversation. Ive never seen such a boring sounding concept be played to be so interesting. - 25-ish times

TV Shows:

Season 1 of One Punch Man- Ive watched the entire one season series at least 28 times. I think its just perfect background noise, and it is often used for inspiration for new heros, baddies, npcs in my DnD game.

All Seasons of The office- Ive watched the entire series, start to front, 18 times. Not quite 25, but its and entire tv show. It is kind of my quinessential "I want to watch something funny" go to.

Season 1 of Cosmos- Its my go to "I have an entire afternoon to get high and want to get lost in wonder" film. 20-ish times.

Season 1 of Top Secret Recipe- This is a short lived, obscure little reality show where a "food hacker" tries to copy big fast food company recipes. It is so fake and set=up with such bad acting, I love it so much. 20-ish times

Probably more. But thats enough for now.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 08:40:43 AM »
Oh yeah... totally forgot about Harry Potter.
Mooohn!

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »
Indiana Jones OT

The Princess Bride

Batman Begins

Spy Game

Training Day

Dumb and Dumber

Predator

Die Hard

Willow

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »
Iron monkey, outstanding choreography and just a lot of fun.

personate-rain