4 (40%)
Tim Minchen
0 (0%)
Rufus
2 (20%)
Other, please link video to be judged
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Hallelujah  (Read 643 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
Hallelujah
« on: March 03, 2017, 03:04:54 PM »
I can't think of a song that gets covered more times yet still has so many good versions. Cohen is my favorite and according to wiki has been covered over 300 times, seem like it should be a record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallelujah_(Leonard_Cohen_song)

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Hallelujah
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
Hallelujah is one of those songs where, no offense, I feel like when I listen to the original I think "nope, that's not it" and then have to listen to one of the covers to hear it "right". Otherwise I feel like the Jeff Buckley version is the definitive one (and I know, I am REALLY GOING ON A LIMB WITH THAT) but I also submit Rufus Wainwright:

http://www.vevo.com/watch/rufus-wainwright/hallelujah-(live-at-the-fillmore)/USDWV0400090
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:43:09 PM »
Start a poll!
Rufus for me.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:24:17 PM »
Good idea, poll added. Meh on Rufus, he has some pronunciation issues that irk me enough to not get my vote.

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »
I voted for the original, only because I feel like over the last couple of years this song have been done to death. 
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »
I'm a sucker for acapella harmony, and Pentatonix nailed it, while adding a subtle creepy overtone that goes well with the song.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 01:57:19 PM »
Good idea, poll added. Meh on Rufus, he has some pronunciation issues that irk me enough to not get my vote.
Honestly I kind of prefer Wainright's take on the rhyme scheme to Cohen. He's just like "nope, I'm not going to sing this in a Brooklyn-ish accent to make 'do you' and 'Hallelujah' work". IMO (warning: blasphemy approaches) the biggest problem with the song is all the "do ya / through ya / blue ya / didgeridoo ya" stuff Cohen does to get back to the song title. Don't get me wrong, the melody is amazing and I really enjoy the landscape that the lyrics paint and it really is to me one of the top, like, 5 or 6 songs of the rock era, but, well, I think Wainwright was on the right track there.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 02:16:47 PM »
Buckley for me, I hate the nasal voice of Rufus. I think he even plays the piano through his nose.

It is funny how the middle version of the song by John Cale is always forgotten, even though that is the version that Buckley was covering:

Also, y'all should listen to this podcast episode (it is also about Elvis Costello, but totally worth it):

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 02:35:56 PM »
I mean, it HAS to be Jeff Buckley. This poll should be "After Jeff Buckley's version, which is the best?"  :laugh:
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 06:51:53 AM »
I love the Rufus version.  And I think the phrase "but you don't really care for music do you" is one of the nastiest epithets ever put to song.  I love it.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 09:03:28 AM »
Hard to pick an absolute favorite, but I really like this one:

The use of boy sopranos gives it a quality you just can't get with adult women sopranos. The later have far more virtuosity, but for this particular piece, the voice character of boy sopranos, who would have been used in the original, and for whom the piece was composed, is, IMO, more moving.

I have no idea how all those videos above got into this thread.  ;)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain