Author Topic: Episode #608  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
Re: Episode #608
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2017, 11:23:03 AM »
There's a graphic at the bottom of the article that compares the two rockets.

http://www.universetoday.com/129989/saturn-v-vs-falcon-heavy/

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline gebobs

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • Me like hockey!
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »
Hello! New member, first post! Hey guys, with regards to money, retirement, and specifically prepaying your home or jumping from a 30 year to a 15 year, there is a really good podcast from a skeptical financial advisor, Phil Ferguson. In episode 199 of his podcast, he covers whether or not you should prepay your home mortgage and the details about that process. Here's a link to his website that links to his podcast. http://polarisfinancialplanning.com/2017/01/25/199-mr-deity-should-you-prepay-your-home-loan/

And an interview with the Deity! Nice.

We refinanced a few times over the 20 years that we have owned our home. The last was 5 years ago. We got a 5-year fixed rate at 3%/25-year ARM. We only had like $70k or so to pay off so we planned to have the mortgage paid off by the time the rates became adjustable by paying a considerable amount over the schedule. And we did it, right on the nose, our last payment was September. On the bright side, we no longer have that monthly nut. It feels nice to be free of that. On the downside, we don't have that mortgage interest to deduct from our taxes, but the deduction wasn't that much anyway.

We still have a home equity line that we use on occasion. It basically gives us $150k of liquidity without having to tie up our own money. And any interest incurred if we do use it is still deductible. We even use it to help fund our IRAs come tax time. While we do have regular 401k contributions at work, since we're over 50 (I think), we can make additional catch up contributions to IRAs. And up until the last few years, we were also contributing to Roth plans (we're no longer eligible). We always plan to make monthly contributions, but we never seem to get around to it and end up having to come up with the entire amount in April (as Cara mentioned too). So we try and scrape together what we can and then tap into the HELOC to take us to the limit. Of course, now we're paying a bit of interest until we pay it off but the IRAs are hopefully going to appreciate for years and any amount we don't take advantage of is a lost opportunity.

I wish we had started our Roths earlier. We started when we were in our mid-30s. For those of you not in the US or who don't know what that is, a Roth IRA uses taxed income contributions. The distributions will not be taxed. I recommend to everyone to look into getting a Roth or something comparable in your country.

Offline stlc8tr

• Off to a Start
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 01:29:18 PM »
There's a graphic at the bottom of the article that compares the two rockets.

http://www.universetoday.com/129989/saturn-v-vs-falcon-heavy/

Yeah, that's where I got the 310K to LEO figure from.

A further Wikipedia reading indicates that the Saturn C5 had a 90K lunar payload capacity so maybe that's why they mixed up the two numbers? Or are they saying that the Falcon Heavy has a 119K lunar payload capacity?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_V

On January 10, 1962, NASA announced plans to build the C-5. The three-stage rocket would consist of: the S-IC first stage, with five F-1 engines; the S-II second stage, with five J-2 engines; and the S-IVB third stage, with a single J-2 engine.[13] The C-5 was designed for a 90,000-pound (41,000 kg) payload capacity to the Moon.[13]

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »
Yeah, it's labeled TLI (Trans Lunar Injection) 48.6K KG for the Saturn V, and 16K KG for the Falcon Heavy.  I'm sure that's where the confusion arose from.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline dreamlander

• Off to a Start
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
Hello! New member, first post! Hey guys, with regards to money, retirement, and specifically prepaying your home or jumping from a 30 year to a 15 year, there is a really good podcast from a skeptical financial advisor, Phil Ferguson. In episode 199 of his podcast, he covers whether or not you should prepay your home mortgage and the details about that process. Here's a link to his website that links to his podcast. http://polarisfinancialplanning.com/2017/01/25/199-mr-deity-should-you-prepay-your-home-loan/

I also listen to Phil's show. It sounds like maybe the rogues should as well. Although, admittedly I skip most of the interviews and just listen to the financial stuff.

I was cringing a bit when they were giving financial advise. Paying off your loan early may not be the worst thing you can do, especially if it helps you sleep at night, but you might be losing out on a lot of long term money. If you have extra money to pay off a house loan at 3.5% you would probably be better off putting that money into a retirement account that should average 9-10% annual gains over the long term. This is the simplest way to put it. If you want to put it in more perspective and get some realistic figures listen to Phil's show.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 07:43:48 PM »
I know Jay doesn't check this thread for WTN answers, but since I (think I) heard it in a post on these forums, it kinda feels like cheating anyway, so I'm just gonna leave my guess here.

(click to show/hide)
Mooohn!

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 12:23:02 AM »
I know Jay doesn't check this thread for WTN answers, but since I (think I) heard it in a post on these forums, it kinda feels like cheating anyway, so I'm just gonna leave my guess here.

(click to show/hide)

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

(click to show/hide)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 07:30:42 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I just played them "side by side" as it were and they're exactly the same.
Mooohn!

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 01:09:47 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Interesting. My memory must be faulty.

Offline Millymax

• Brand New
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 06:01:52 AM »
Fascinated by the ADHD information. I have frontal lobe damage from hydrocephalus after a subarachnoid haemorrhage, and have been diagnosed with Dysexecutive Syndrome. Is that the same as ADHD, then?

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 05:42:56 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Interesting. My memory must be faulty.

And yeah, when the noisy was re-played in this week's episode, I totally heard what I said I didn't hear before. Weird, because I thought I had been specifically listening for it the first time.

Offline Zucchi

• Brand New
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 03:58:29 PM »
The end of 2018 will be the 50th anniversary of Apollo 8, not Apollo 11.  Apollo 8 (launched Dec. 21, 1968) was the first crewed spacecraft to orbit the Moon; the first time, in fact, that humans ventured beyond LEO.

I know the SGU hosts are younger than I, and don't personally remember Apollo 11, but I thought everybody remembered the landing date: July 20, 1969.

personate-rain