Author Topic: Alex Jones / Info Wars  (Read 8117 times)

Offline drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
Re: Alex Jones / Info Wars
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
I always point to the example of Andrew "Dice" Clay. The dice man was a part of his early standup, but over time he started to become Dice full-time, even in otherwise out of character interviews, espousing the same views that he used as jokes on stage.

As to whether it comes from within or is internalized through playing the character I'm not sure, but I am sure that nobody can go in and play a character opposite their personality every day for several hours without it taking a toll somewhere.

Colbert?
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Online SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 04:03:21 PM »
I always point to the example of Andrew "Dice" Clay. The dice man was a part of his early standup, but over time he started to become Dice full-time, even in otherwise out of character interviews, espousing the same views that he used as jokes on stage.

As to whether it comes from within or is internalized through playing the character I'm not sure, but I am sure that nobody can go in and play a character opposite their personality every day for several hours without it taking a toll somewhere.

Colbert?
Colbert plays a satire, he's not pretending to be a right winger for the character. Part of the satire is the conscious separation through the jokes. It would be much harder to play the character of Hannity or Limbaugh day in and day out because it's not a parody and there's not laugh lines and deadpan jokes.

HIISSSSSSSS

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2017, 07:27:17 AM »
I don't know whether he's playing a character. But there are people who play horrific characters in front of an audience for hours at a time, because they make money off of it, and seemingly don't care about the damage they cause. Like Peter Popoff.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2017, 09:33:28 AM »
What makes you think Peter Popoff isn't just being the terrible person that he is?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2017, 10:35:18 AM »
Didn't say he wasn't terrible person out of character, but he's also proven to be fraudulent.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:38:43 AM by 2397 »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2017, 11:10:07 AM »
Being a fraud is not the same as playing a fraud.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2017, 11:49:08 AM »
See the Karma thread, or whatever it was we decided to call it. Today he is asking the press to respect his privacy. That said, I suspect the wife knew he was an asshole when she married him. I never understand that.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
...... That said, I suspect the wife knew he was an asshole when she married him. I never understand that.

Chick's dig Jerks
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2017, 01:05:58 AM »
It strikes me that surely his ex-wife would know what kind of person he is?

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2017, 01:43:09 PM »

though this is a custody battle so there is the chance that she's not being totally honest.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2017, 02:39:38 PM »

Colbert?
Colbert plays a satire, he's not pretending to be a right winger for the character. Part of the satire is the conscious separation through the jokes. It would be much harder to play the character of Hannity or Limbaugh day in and day out because it's not a parody and there's not laugh lines and deadpan jokes.
A close friend and I used to make ironically racist and sexist jokes to each other when no one was around and we were watching movies together.
Like for example making fun of the fact that the black guy would always die first in horror movies or how asians are never as good at martial arts as americans.

It was a few years before I realised he had actually internalised these jokes and he would start arguing as to why it was funny but also kind of true.

Just one instance of course but I stopped making those jokes with anyone.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2017, 09:03:10 PM »

though this is a custody battle so there is the chance that she's not being totally honest.

It is true that she could commit perjury. Either party could.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 09:34:24 PM »

The idea that this is "just an act" is even more horrifying than it being the "real Alex Jones." The latter is basic delusion. The former is the harmful intentional dissemination of misinformation for profit.
Mister Beagle

Offline jds22

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »

The idea that this is "just an act" is even more horrifying than it being the "real Alex Jones." The latter is basic delusion. The former is the harmful intentional dissemination of misinformation for profit.

Agreed.
Which is worse? The liar or the lunatic?

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »

Agreed.
Which is worse? The liar or the lunatic?
I would call the latter a mental illness, though a dangerous one in this case. I am increasingly putting Trump in this category.  He was once just a liar, but I think he is losing his grip on reality.

I am reminded of split brain tests, where the patient just makes stuff up from one side of the brain to explain the other side. But the patient is convinced of his/her rationality.
Mister Beagle

personate-rain